Coopers Community

Blockage and possible stall

karlos_1984

I put down my first BIAB a week ago yesterday. Ended up being an 11.5 ltr batch once into the FV, OG of 1052, pitched a pack of rehydrated US-05 yeast. 

I've had a sample in my hydrometer since about 4 days in. The sample has gradually fallen, today it's at 1016.

However, I haven't dry hopped yet. I was going to do that tonight before I fly out for a few days away. 

Problem is, I can't take another sample for the hydrometer, the tap is blocked. I've never had this issue before. 

Also, it appears the yeast hasn't dropped. There's still a thick layer of slurry on top of the brew. See pictures.

What should I do? I'm thinking the fermentation isn't finished and/or stalled. I don't want to open this brew up to infection, how can I unblock the tap?

This fv is one of the 25 ltr blue round water drums from Bunnings with the standard white tap.

20190904_152900.jpg

I suppose I could tilt it back n put a block of wood or something under the tap. Doesn't explain why the slurry on top hasn't dropped off yet though. I wonder if it's still slowly fermenting away. It's been on a constant 18 degrees the whole time with the fridge, inkbird & heatbelt combo

US-05 Krausens are notorious for hanging around. My last few brews with US-05 took a few days cold crash to even drop it. But at 1.015 it sounds like your fermentation isn't quite finished yet so that wouldn't be helping.

When I dry hopped, I just threw them in the hop sock and chucked them in on top of the Krausen and it breaks through quite easily. Once you start breaking the krausen it tends to drop out quicker.

Mitch.

Edited by MitchellScott

Well I've got no choice. I fly out in the morning so I'll have to drop a hop sock in.

I usually brew 20 odd litres. This one is only 11.5, probably 10 when u factor in trub loss etc. Would 20g dry hop be enough? I usually do between 50-80 grams for a full size batch 

41 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Well I've got no choice. I fly out in the morning so I'll have to drop a hop sock in.

I usually brew 20 odd litres. This one is only 11.5, probably 10 when u factor in trub loss etc. Would 20g dry hop be enough? I usually do between 50-80 grams for a full size batch 

If you like it hoppy id aim for 30g+. If you like a milld hoppiness then 20g should be fine :). If you like what you do in your 23L batches then basically half it.

3 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

US-05 Krausens are notorious for hanging around. My last few brews with US-05 took a few days cold crash to even drop it. But at 1.015 it sounds like your fermentation isn't quite finished yet so that wouldn't be helping.

When I dry hopped, I just threw them in the hop sock and chucked them in on top of the Krausen and it breaks through quite easily. Once you start breaking the krausen it tends to drop out quicker.

Mitch.

+1 to what Mitch said just give it a gentle tap and it will fall👍

• Like 2

That happened to me last bottle day with the hop bag blocking the outlet!

Flow slowed right down as there 85g of Citra in the bag.

I ended up sterilising my mixing spoon and moving the sock to the back of the FV.

( I put the spoon in some boiling water then starsanned the bejesus out of the spoon - hopefully it will be OK)!

Cheers

James

• Like 1