Coopers Community

Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stout 

After my brew fridge is freed up, I'll be brewing this next.

Recipe contains:

• 1 × Stout (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Dark Ale (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Lager (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Coopers Dextrose (1kg)

From reading old threads, it looks like this recipe is pretty good as is and doesn't need much in the way of tweaks.

Still, other Imperial Stouts I have seen have been up at the 10% ABV mark while this is projected to be around 9.2% ABV. I'd like to try and boost mine up to or past the 10% mark but not change the flavour profile too much. Normally I would think to add DME, but I'm guessing that simply adding another 500g or 1kg of Dex would achieve my goal?

If I did want to tweak the flavour a little, would some cocoa powder or maybe a bottle/jar of golden syrup be worthwhile?

I'm happy for folks to throw a few ideas around. I have a couple of weeks to order in grains etc. This is going to be a long time in the bottle, so I'd like to make sure I've explored all options before I commit the ingredients to the FV.

Matt. 🍻

13 hours ago, Instigator said:

From reading old threads, it looks like this recipe is pretty good as is and doesn't need much in the way of tweaks

Hi Matt

It is pretty good as it is.  Mine has been in the bottle for just over three months and is a great beer.  I find it really easy to drink.

If you have got two fermenters I would suggest splitting this brew in two.  Leave one as is and tweak up the other to assess the differences.  The second half might benefit from a tablespoon of cocoa powder added like the Bilby Chocolate Porter recipe.

Just be prepared to allow the beer to age.  Best of luck with it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Shamus. It was the Bilby that gave me the idea for the cocoa powder, but I think I might just brew that separately and leave the cocoa out of this stout. Great idea about splitting the batch, though. 👍

After doing more reading, I'm warming to the idea of adding the golden syrup to boost the ABV. It seems some English stouts can have molasses or treacle added, but I don't imagine this recipe needs to go that far.

15 hours ago, Instigator said:

cocoa powder or maybe a bottle/jar of golden syrup be worthwhile?

Not worthwhile at all. The limited impact of either of those would be lost by the immense flavour of the stout. 9.2% or 10% there really is not a lot of difference.

Yeah I made a modified version of the RIS came out at 12.6% from memory. Bens 100% correct the immense flavor of the stout will over power any of those additions still it is a great brew that I am yet to experience it at its full potential.

Best of luck with the brew.