Coopers Community

Hot water urn

John304

Ben10 suggested CheekyPeak to me a while ago...  could be worth a look...  depends what you are all wanting and whether all the bits add up to the right amount.... e.g Inkbird-immersion chiller - mash tun - heating element - false floor - BIAB bag...  just a thought... Crown Urn might be more cost effective... ?

image.png.bd150f9d286c9607233c0494d5aa13bc.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler

It's probably cutting out because crap on the element cover is making it think it's boiled dry rather than it getting too hot. I've had that happen very occasionally with mine, but not once since I started scrubbing the element cover before the boil. I always crank it full bore for the boil, which is somewhere between 105 and 110 on the control knob.

For some reason the wort boils at around 103, but that is most likely thermometer error. The sugar content and other things like proteins and minerals, as well as atmospheric pressure going up will cause it to boil slightly above 100 but not that far above (only fractions of a degree). I'll have to get one of dad's old lab thermometers next time and test it with that. 

In any case, it's better to maintain a constant rolling boil rather than having it constantly stop and start. 

• Like 2