Coopers Community

Help with Pils

Marty_G

Can someone give me a tip on a good pils kit ... I have made the 86 days Pilsner twice and both were disapointments ... the first was not temp controlled, fermented way to fast and was a failure that did improve over time but was pretty crap but did have great colour and clarity in the end.... the second was again not temperature controlled but brewed very slowly, 14 dyas, in the middle of winter then aged ... it was ready to drink in July but only started drinking it last month ... it has turned out looking like a red ale and just does not look or taste like a Pils at all ... have put in a dark place to revisit in another 6 months ... I love Czech Pils so can some point me in the right direction .... 

I haven't brewed the kit but I do brew a lot of pilsners. 

First thing would be fermentation. Pitch a large amount of yeast, and keep it at 10-12 degrees for the first 5-6 days. After that raise it to 18 until a few days after it hits FG. If you are bottling, you could probably bottle it at this point, allow it to carbonate then store the bottles in a cold place for 3 months. You could also do a hop tea with Saaz when mixing up the kit.

When I do mine I do a slow ramp down to 3 degrees after that rest at 18, and keep it there for about 1.5-2 weeks. After that it gets kegged and put in the fridge for another month or two. At this point they're bloody beautiful. 

38 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I love Czech Pils so can some point me in the right direction .... 

I think you've already identified one of your main problems:

" ...the first was not temp controlled...   

...the second was again not temperature controlled..."  

Even if you have to adopt some kind of make-shift solution it's quite important that you get your temperatures contained. It doesn't have to be super-precise but at least get the fermentation temperature reasonably stable within the recommended range.   

I had the impression the 86-Day Pils was generally well-received by those that had brewed it but I guess it all mostly comes down to personal taste and preference. 

I get where you are coming from but the winter brew was done low and slow 10-15 degrees ... however,  as you say not temp controlled and  it did oscillate a few degrees each day only a few mind you but yes that could be enough  ... I have temp control now so that problem solved ... every other batch I did over winter even the European lager I did at the same time has been brilliant ....after a couple of failures with the 86 days I don't know if i really want to do again ... I would love a good Czech style  recommendation .... or I may doing the 86 days with a different yeast is an option ? 

I'd recommend different yeast.

I've followed this recipe twice over winter in ambient (Melbourne) temps but with a ski jacket on the FV with good results. Saaz Hop tea and w34/70 were the key, I think. And def over a month in the bottle. However, I've only managed to keep them for 4 months. 😜

I've also once done a Black Pils using the same kit and it was sensational.

Although I do understand your reluctance to use the kit again, they aren't (always) cheap! 💲💲💲

Waiting on winter to arrive before I go back into lager mode. 

I've used the 86 days kit once before I'm going to be brewing a double batch of it again in a fornight. 

I was really pleased with the last one, it really came good after two months lagering. It was just the kit with 800g LDM to 21 litres, packet of kit yeast and a 10g w-34/70 sachet. I did a 25g hop steep of Saaz and fermented at 10°C for 7days then D rest at 18°C until day 14 followed by a 6 day cold crash. 

My next one will be using a larger hop boil of Saaz rather than a steep and increasing the amount of LDM or LLME still at 21 litres and same yeast amount. 

Cheers, Lee 

Funny enough i just put an 86 dayer down this morning, 

Ive used the kit(obviously ) & a kilo of dme plus 250g's of dextrose & ×2 sashès of fermentis 34/70, I'll dry hop it in a few weeks before lagering it.

(Mmm at 490 ibu's initially i didn't think it required additional hops but now iam starting to have some reservations. )

Some times if the kits are heading towards expiry they darkin & the results are less the ideal, i don't suppose you could possibly remember  the date on the kit when purchased marty? 

26 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Not at all .... this brew was fermented in June and ready for drinking on the 19th of July ... 

Sorry matey,  the actual date on the can it self prior to brewing.

(Its the first thing i take notice of when buying yeast or kits or bits etc ive learnt the hard way there... sadly.)

Its queit possiable that the kit could have past its use by date when brewed. 

13 minutes ago, Jumping jack flash said:

Sorry matey,  the actual date on the can it self prior to brewing.

Yep  got that .... date on can: not at all .... the reason I brewed it 7 months ago .... memory doesn't go back that far ... but i know i got it from Big W and they go through their stock pretty quickly ... 

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's your problem, or one of. These types of beers aren't near ready to drink after only a month. 

Nonetheless it is now 7 months and looks like a red ale and tastes nothing like a Pils .... maybe just maybe it was incorrectly labelled ...  I age all my brews I have nearly 12 months supply and am currently drinking beer that was bottled last March .... but the 86 days is nothing like a Pils ... will continue to age but still want recommendation for a good Czech Pils as I don't really want to try 86 days for a 3rd time as the other 2 efforts have been disappointing ... 

Beyond the 86 dayer my next pils ill try combining briess pilsen extract malt (×2) + pilsner grain & dme with plenty  of saaz hops...

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have a pilsner recipe that turns out a great version of the style but it's all grain so probably wouldn't be much use. It could be converted to an extract/hop boil recipe though. 

Any advice on a extract /all grain otto??

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yep  got that .... date on can: not at all .... the reason I brewed it 7 months ago .... memory doesn't go back that far ... but i know i got it from Big W and they go through their stock pretty quickly ... 

Cool brother i know your only chasing down some answers ( hence your avatar) but it just one possible conclusion.

Maybe try this recipe brew brother!

Czech Pils

27 minutes ago, Jumping jack flash said:

Beyond the 86 dayer my next pils ill try combining briess pilsen extract malt (×2) + pilsner grain & dme with plenty  of saaz hops...

Any advice on a extract /all grain otto??

I'll get back to you mate, time to relax with a few beers snd movies now

Archived