Coopers Community

Ale or lager?

Just to confuse - the Coopers lager does come with an ale yeast, but makes a pretty bland beer - probably more due to the kit than the yeast. I've brewed a couple of pilsners with ale yeasts, with better but not great results, but they're not true to style. 

I wouldn't bother trying to brew any of the lagers / pilsners that come with lager yeast if you don't have temp control. Lagers need brewing at low temperatures, and need long storage. 

13 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Just to confuse - the Coopers lager does come with an ale yeast, but makes a pretty bland beer - probably more due to the kit than the yeast. I've brewed a couple of pilsners with ale yeasts, with better but not great results, but they're not true to style. 

I wouldn't bother trying to brew any of the lagers / pilsners that come with lager yeast if you don't have temp control. Lagers need brewing at low temperatures, and need long storage. 

To be honest its hard to do what i would term decent beer without any temp control unless you are doing a saison. I was lucky i got a fridge on about my 6th or so brew and it made an absolute moutain of difference.

Archived