Coopers Community

Finnings

imoulsdale

Today I bottled my first batch clarified using Polyclar pvpp, pitched the second day into my cold crash. I bottle at 0-1c, so I was looking for chill haze. The bottles seemed fairly clear, probably more so than the simple cold crash clarity I have had in the past, but the proof will be in the glass in a few weeks time.

An interesting change in the FV trub left behind; The bottom of the trub was more solid like a crepe you could roll up. Never had this before so I'm assuming most of that teaspoon of pre-stirred 'plastic dust' remains there, in that trub.

I still swirled the top part and tapped it into a PET as my next US-05 yeast slurry. I'm hoping the Polycar won't affect my yeast harvest. Is that likely to be so?

Cheers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

..Interested to see how much effect one teaspoon of it has on the clarity. 

I figured that a rounded teaspoon of Polyclar would be 5-10gms, which is approximately the suggested dose for 23L of beer. What measure do you use Kelsey?

Cheers

I weigh it with scales, and 5-10g is a fair bit more than a rounded teaspoon which is about 2-3g. Volumetric measurements are useless for weight because the same volume of different things will weigh different amounts. For instance, a heaped teaspoon of sugar will weigh more than a heaped teaspoon of Polyclar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Polyclar has no effect on yeast so it shouldn't cause any issues with harvesting. Interested to see how much effect one teaspoon of it has on the clarity. 

20190115_164440.thumb.jpg.e158fdbf87be245df3ee30d389b92361.jpg

Result with 1 rounded tsp of Polyclar Pvpp. Definitely an improvement over just kettle Whirlfloc and simple cold crash after fermentation. Estimate 3g of Poly to 23L batch. 

My next batch will have been treated with 9gms. I will post a pic when beer ready.

Cheers

Done pretty well there. I just added 9-10g to a 20L batch of pilsner a few days ago. Bit more than I intended but I'm sure it won't do any harm. Will probably keg it this coming weekend and continue its lagering in the kegerator while the next batch ferments and then goes on tap. Should get it at least another 5-6 weeks lagering on top of the 1.5-2 it's had in the fermenter. I expect by then it will be clear as water.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting no chill haze using the Polyclar but I still get cloudiness in the second glass poured due to the pouring action stirring up some superfine  cloudiness - not any dregs. It seems to improve if the bottles are chilled for several days, but it is still there.

Any other ideas for fixing this?

Cheers

It would be part of the dregs getting stirred up but obviously not very much of them. I use isinglass to drop yeast out before I use polyclar, it seems to result in a really compact sediment in the fermenter, and I get hardly any in the kegs. It may help with reducing that bottle sediment and keeping it compact, however I think time in the fridge is the best way to keep it compacted. 

28 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've used polyclar in stouts before. The way it works to improve clarity also helps lengthen shelf life/prevent off flavours developing. Obviously I used it for the latter reason in those beers. 

Ha ha yeah, I get that, I was just kidding but the brew today being the red rye, will get the treatment as I’m sending it to a celiac 

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

I've been meaning to try this polyclar for some time. Who sells it? Is it know by another name? My two local brew shops don't have it. My regular online shops don't either! Why is it so hard to find track down for me?!

No idea. Craftbrewer sells it, that's where I buy it from, though obviously not local to you. It usually does have polyclar in the name though as it's a trademark, sometimes preceded by PVPP. I'll have to check the pack but I think mine is called polyclar VT. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the actual dose of Polyclar is not specified with the product. The sales doco does say you may require more in a Pale Ale than you would in a dark beer.

I have now established that 2 x rounded teaspoons in 150ml of boiled water, cooled and poured around 23L of beer, 3 days into cold crash, will provide the pictured above level of clarification in a 4kg AG Pale Ale. No hint of chill haze.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I have just tested 4 batches with Polyclar PVPP, followed by 4 batches without.

The PVPP definitely makes the beer look good, per pic above, and eliminates any chill haze.

Taste testing may be a little subjective, like the difference in taste between PETs and Glass, but I have decided the non PVPP beers tasted better, with better hop aroma (maybe flavour also) and a more fullness of taste generally. 

I also thought I could detect a 'texture' associated with dustiness - don't laugh, it seemed real even if cognitive only.

So I have dropped Polyclar PVPP for my ales, but may use again in Lagers only.

Cheers

Archived