Coopers Community

How bad is it to use a Coopers tin that's past BB date?

Silmaril

2 hours ago, PB2 said:

Not knowing exactly where you are in NZ, is it possible that the brew can would have been exposed to lower temperatures than what might be experienced in the majority of Aus?

Elevated temps accelerate the aging process.

Good point.   I reckon it probably sat in the supermarket storeroom for most of the time and then on the shelves at whatever temperature the store is maintained at.  I doubt it ever went over 20ºC.

5 hours ago, PB2 said:

...Yep, still brewing - got a Lemon Myrtle Witbier going, due to be kegged tomorrow.

?

You do like that beer. I reckon you've posted in the past mentioning it. ?

Care to share the recipe with us fellow brewers Paul?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Like others I would not advocate taking the risk with expired cans.  Although I did have one experience, a little like Blacksands, where I had got through preparing most of a basic KnK brew:  Aussie lager brew enhancer and small grain steep already in the fermenter.  Opened the slightly out of date Coopers Draught can (from a second hand kit I bought) ....... and it just did not look right.  The ONLY other can I had was a Coopers Lager, except it was two years out of date (another second hand purchase, although with this one the box had never been opened).  I thought let's open her up and see what we shall see.  It looked fine.  Still nice and syrupy no bubbles, no rust spots on can.  I kind of had not choice at the time so I went for it.  I did use an in date lager yeast.  Brewed outside in winter at around 12 degrees.  Turned out to be one of my better early beers.

I currently have a couple of Bootmaker Pale Ale cans, bought for $5.50 that expire this month.  I must get onto doing something with them.  Will use in-date yeasts though.

Cheers Shamus

• 2 weeks later...

Archived