Coopers Community

Newbie here

supernerdy

3 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

The bottles need 2 weeks at 18c or above to achieve proper carbonation. 

I have them in the bottom of a kitchen cupboard but not sure on temp in there. I though it only mattered in the bucket before bottling??

6 minutes ago, Freaxta said:

I have them in the bottom of a kitchen cupboard but not sure on temp in there. I though it only mattered in the bucket before bottling??

Also matters to get them to carb up. It's the yeasties doing the work, consuming the priming sugar, and they won't work if it's too cold.

5 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Also matters to get them to carb up. It's the yeasties doing the work, consuming the priming sugar, and they won't work if it's too cold.

Was my first attempt so will keep in mind for future bottling ?

On 10/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, Silmaril said:

All the best for future brews!

Agreed - good luck lads.

Still tempted to pour my first down the sink.

Naaargh - just mix with lemonade as a shandy - were still good ingredients... 

Waiting on #2 and hoping it will be better!

Am sure it will!

And definitely - low carb - if in cooler climes - v likely not been warm enough.

Both Primary Ferment in Bucket

AND

Secondary Ferment in Bottle with primer carb drops or sugar or dex..........

Same process - needs the warmth with Ale Yeasts.. 18 deg C Plus

Best to monitor temp.

Cheers.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, supernerdy said:

Stock standard bewitched Amber was in the kit.

Woohoo... check this out...   Due to work issues was going back through old photos.... here is a cracker - Think 'tis the very same Aldi Amber Ale...  was a while back...

Sadly has been years between brews...  but hey them's the breaks.

Below as it was summer and warm enough PF in vat and SF in Bottle to get a little carb going... 

But get through this first one - hey - there are way many better ones waiting for you... and some absolute Master Brewers on this site providing advice!!!

But yer gotta remember where you have been... good idea to write down what you did... unless you are blessed with Mega-Memory!

This game (and life maybe??!) is about learning from our mistakes  ;  )

And celebrating our successes... 

image.thumb.png.df856dbe5bd312bb5aa8b2e872ed1067.png

If things have been cool... don't rush into it - better to give bottle ferment  another week in WARM temps.... worst thing is opening early and being disappointed no carbs.

I let this one go for nearly a month with a plate warmer going at 22 deg C... and carbs was really gooooood....  it is frustrating.... but if you can hang on - and get your bottles warmer...

and don't be afraid to gently invert the solution - the yeasts are not motile - they cannot move through the solution to seek the unfermented carbs...  so if has been real cold - and they are stuck on the bottom.... not much use if they cannot get get back and 'up and 'at 'em'...   So a gentle warm up - a gentle invert - to get them going - could help.

And in the meantime - I stand corrected if some of the other Master Brewers have got better advice too hey ;  ) 

image.thumb.png.6f218446fc4394478e630d65b9529252.png

22 minutes ago, supernerdy said:

Just checked my bottles today that have been in the esky in the car port. Bottles are firm and when looking at them in light they aren't looking cloudy.

Really keen for these ?

I bet you are ?!    Good luck with them... 

My bottles are firm too............     but they are glassy boys !?!   ?

Though they are those who would claim glass is a super-cooled liquid ; )

I jumped the gun and decided for a taste at day 10 in the esky.

While the beer wasnt to my taste exactly it is definitely a beer so I am happy.. hopefully flavour increases with age for another week but otherwise I am a happy camper!

Excuse the novelty glass - decided to not purchase any for myself yet and leave it as an xmas option for the Mrs and inlaws

IMG_20181022_175630.jpg

As I gently ease myself out of the rabbit hole... still got connectivity...

1 hour ago, supernerdy said:

I jumped the gun and decided for a taste at day 10 in the esky.

While the beer wasnt to my taste exactly it is definitely a beer so I am happy.. hopefully flavour increases with age for another week but otherwise I am a happy camper!

mate what a great start!  Gold.  Done well!

I reckon deffo considering getting some glass bottles over time.  If you cop Coopers beer - the 750 largies are great - quaff the brew and reuse!  ....always drink and then rinse out three times with hot water and drain ; )

And as for you very first brew and not that fired up about the taste - truly - the world is your oyster - you have cracked it - it's only onwards and upwards from here!

You have brewed BEER - you have Carbonation - and a base brewing system to work on and look at improving... great stuff!

The sheer fact you say the beer is not to your taste - shows you are ready for the path for improvement!  Gold.

And 'the guns' on this site have got plenty good advice so you are in good hands.  Congratulations and good brewing!

Hi Guys. I’m also another greeny who has bought a Aldi craft kit. Used to brew a long time ago so the knowledge I had is now gone. What should I be looking for with the Hydrometer when it finishes fermenting. I know it should be stable for 2 days but what if the level has dropped from 1030 to 1010. Is this still ok? Also do the clips need fitting on the fermenter lid for the duration?

thanks in advance. 

42 minutes ago, Bigger Red said:

Hi Guys. I’m also another greeny who has bought a Aldi craft kit. Used to brew a long time ago so the knowledge I had is now gone. What should I be looking for with the Hydrometer when it finishes fermenting. I know it should be stable for 2 days but what if the level has dropped from 1030 to 1010. Is this still ok? Also do the clips need fitting on the fermenter lid for the duration?

thanks in advance. 

Sounds similar to mine. Remember the first brew is the msot basic with the kits too so don't expect to much. The clips are mostly for the foam that forms and to stop the lid lifting.

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Hi, 

You only need the clips when using the krausen collar. They need to be off to let the gas out. 

Cheers,

Jamie 

Thank Jamie. I thought it didn’t need the clips but did anyway. I was more worried about the drop in SG. I was thinking that the clips might prevent the brew from letting gasses escape. 

Archived