Coopers Community

Newbie here

supernerdy

Hey guys,

So picked up a craft beer kit yesterday at Aldi for $40 and giving it a crack. So far temps have gone down a bit but are around 20 but looking at the tub I cant see any foam forming. Is this normal?

Also watched the video yesterday and was rather surprised when stirring the FV wasnt included as a step. Hoping for the best ?

Fermentation goes through a few stages, you will experience abit of lag before the primary fermentation stage gets active. About a day is normal before the airlock starts bubbling away so don't panic and sit back and enjoy the experience. Controlling your temp is a critical factor in getting a good brew. No doubt you will be enjoying your own brew before long. Cheers

He's probably bought the Coopers craft brew kit, which doesn't have an airlock. They're not needed anyway. You can see when fermentation has started, and then stops. After that, the hydrometer is a better gauge of when it's fully completed.

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

He's probably bought the Coopers craft brew kit, which doesn't have an airlock. They're not needed anyway. You can see when fermentation has started, and then stops. After that, the hydrometer is a better gauge of when it's fully completed.

Thanks, did know there was a difference so appreciate the clarification. Supernerdy will be going the WTF Airlock? Must say I enjoy hearing the airlock bubbling away, indicates that things are a brewing in there and at what rate.

14 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Thanks, did know there was a difference so appreciate the clarification. Supernerdy will be going the WTF Airlock? Must say I enjoy hearing the airlock bubbling away, indicates that things are a brewing in there and at what rate.

I haven't bothered with one, but I've read many on here have older or brew shop bought fermenters which accommodate them. The only problem I can see with them is they can still bubble even though fermentation has finished.

Someone recently posted they had a brew stiil in FV after 20 days, as the airlock was still going. I think the response was that was residual trapped co2 escaping, not fermentation.

A hydrometer is a more accurate reading of what's happening. Once it's reached a low point and is stable for a few days, It's done.

EDIT:

In the meantime, I've gone on visual activity. For me, it's gone roughly like this:

• Wort mixed and Yeast pitched
  • 24-48 hours wort clouds over, krausen starts to form
  • 2-4 days worth of visual krausen, depending on the beer/yeast used.
  • Krausen drops
  • Around day 5-6 Beer starts to clear (I take a hydro reading)
  • Another reading 2 days later. If stable, leave a couple more days to settle.

5 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

EDIT:

In the meantime, I've gone on visual activity. For me, it's gone roughly like this:

• Wort mixed and Yeast pitched
  • 24-48 hours wort clouds over, krausen starts to form
  • 2-4 days worth of visual krausen, depending on the beer/yeast used.
  • Krausen drops
  • Around day 5-6 Beer starts to clear (I take a hydro reading)
  • Another reading 2 days later. If stable, leave a couple more days to settle.

My way is:

Pitch yeast. 

Come back in 10 days to check FG. 

That is all.........

5 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Didn't we all do that with the 1st brew?

I'd imagine most people with their 1st brew were either religiously checking the air lock, or draining way too much beer with regular hydrometer readings!

Calmly letting things take their course (and not posting in a panic to a home brew forum (guilty)) seems to come with wisdom and experience!

Not counting the yeast prep beforehand I pretty much pitch yeast, set the temp, check SG after 3 days and raise temp a few degrees, then leave the hydrometer in the sample on the keg fridge. When it stops dropping a couple of days later I figure it's finished, then take my proper FG samples after 7 and 9 days, mainly just to confirm it. If it's the same both times I figure it's already had enough cleanup time so it gets dropped to 0 for a week before kegging. Sounds in depth but most of those tasks take about a minute to actually perform. 

Good luck with it Super! 

We all once had a first brew.

I think the most recent group finding is at this time of year to make sure you have things warm enough... ale yeasts like being warm in the Primary Ferment in the Vat and then also in the Bottles as well in the Secondary... 

I no longer do the air-lock bubbler... but I did in a former brew-lifetime very much enjoy the sound of it and the notification that things were going well... it is a beautiful thing    ; )

hmmm.... until a massive fire-up and the froth is through the air-lock and away!

I think the big deal is temp though - if ambient conditions are pretty cold... ale yeasts are a bit steady...  so the process takes a bit long and to begin with may not be so vigorous.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, supernerdy said:

Hey guys,

So picked up a craft beer kit yesterday at Aldi for $40 and giving it a crack. So far temps have gone down a bit but are around 20 but looking at the tub I cant see any foam forming. Is this normal?

Also watched the video yesterday and was rather surprised when stirring the FV wasnt included as a step. Hoping for the best ?

So what is the very first brew you have cranking Super?

Hopefully a few more bubbles have been forthcoming... 

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So what is the very first brew you have cranking Super?

Hopefully a few more bubbles have been forthcoming... 

Stock standard bewitched Amber was in the kit.

So far foaming has stopped/slowed although it didn't foam as much as I had thought it would. Dirt ring is small but there and I can see the sediment at the bottom of the FV. Its also becomming clearer so will start my testing tonight/tomorrow

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's probably about 1.002-1.003 then. Sounds too low actually. If you want to upload a picture of the hydrometer sample next time you take one it'll be easier to figure out.

Good idea. What should I usually look for?

Archived