Coopers Community

Stainless Steel Barrel Fermenter 42L

wazzamcg

That's a great idea Wobbly. If I didn't have my stainless steel brew pot, I might have bought an out of rotation 50L keg and bled it and angle grinded the top off. I heard this keggle works great on a 3-ring gas burner

I've just built a new keggle last weekend which I'm leak testing at the moment. My old one is a 50L keg while this new one is a 58L one that 2 brothers were getting rid of (is a US keg, made in Seattle). Once that is up and running I'll probably have the old one asking with the controller as surplus to requirements ?

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2018 at 12:15 AM, Wobbly74 said:

As an anecdote, what I brewed yesterday ended up with a lot of trub in the fermenter. Not from design but because of a screw up with the new lauter helix I'm trying. Will be interesting to see how it fares and ages, though it's a pale ale so I'll no doubt just add to the litany of anecdotal findings which don't include shelf life...

Just to follow up on this, bad brewing practice or not this one turned out pretty tasty. On a whim I put it in to the vicbrew state comp recently and it finished 6th, which wasn't too shabby ?

1 hour ago, Wobbly74 said:

Just to follow up on this, bad brewing practice or not this one turned out pretty tasty. On a whim I put it in to the vicbrew state comp recently and it finished 6th, which wasn't too shabby ?

Nice.  I've read of quite a few accounts now where this so-called 'bad practice' has actually produced perfectly fine beers.   And, one curious thing in particular that I read repeatedly is how clear the trub beers are in comparison.  I recall Brulosophy once noting that too... the beer they brewed with trub was noticeably clearer than their non-trub version and tasters found it to be the "beer with the sharpest/crispest flavor". 

Yeah but they're drinking them pretty fresh, especially Brulosophy where it's usually only a few days to a week after kegging it, and the issues that kettle trub can cause may, actually almost certainly would not be apparent at that early stage. I wonder if they would be as nice if they were left to age for a longer period. There are other methods to achieve sharp/crisp flavor (water profiles are a big one) and decent clarity than deliberately chucking in a bunch of shit that you've just done an hour long boil to separate from the wort.

What others do is their choice, throwing it in might be fine for beers that are drunk early but personally I try to keep my processes the same on every batch to ensure consistency. Besides, it makes the trub level too high in my fermenter anyway.

Archived