Coopers Community

lager recipe

I am thinking of doing a lager while the weather is freezing but I cant find a good recipe.I have done an extract lager but the weather was a lot warmer than now so it could have been anything in the end but it went down well. I was also wondering that as the weather will warm up in a couple of months and I don't have any where cool to store them would I be wasting my time . Of course I could drink them before it gets hot again.

I'd go for it, they'll still turn out good even if the beer isn't cold stored for ages, as long as it doesn't get hot. If you brewed it now you'd still have a month or more that they'd be cool enough to condition well.

I have a couple of good recipes but they're all grain.

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd go for it, they'll still turn out good even if the beer isn't cold stored for ages, as long as it doesn't get hot. If you brewed it now you'd still have a month or more that they'd be cool enough to condition well.

I have a couple of good recipes but they're all grain.

That's what I am looking for I want to put the robobrew through it,s paces

I'll post the German lager recipe I've been brewing for the last few lager batches I've done. I have a Czech pilsner recipe as well; you need really soft water for that one to turn out its best though.

Don't worry about the mineral additions in this, they're based on using 100% distilled water.

Mash at 64C for 40 minutes, 72C for 25 minutes and mash out at 78C for 10 minutes. Alternatively, just do a 90 minute mash at 66-67C and mash out. If you can't get Budvar yeast just use W34/70, it would be more to style anyway. I'm only using Budvar yeast because I'm a tightarse and don't want to buy another lager yeast at the moment ?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.42 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.0495 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %
Boil Time: 110 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
33.00 l               Brisbane Water (German Lager)            Water         1        -             
4.00 g                Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)      Water Agent   2        -             
3.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   3        -             
3.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   4        -             
2.00 g                Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   5        -             
1.00 g                Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins)                   Water Agent   6        -             
4.000 kg              Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)   Grain         7        90.7 %        
0.300 kg              Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         8        6.8 %         
0.100 kg              Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC)         Grain         9        2.3 %         
0.010 kg              Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain         10       0.2 %         
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - First Wort Hop           11       11.5 IBUs     
8.00 g                Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           12       9.4 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Boil 20 min Hop           13       5.8 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Boil 10 min Hop           14       3.5 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Steep 20 min Hop           15       2.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Budvar Lager (Wyeast Labs #2000) [124.21 Yeast         16       -             

Kelsey are your bohemian pilsner pale straw in colour or do you add a touch of black malt to this too?

Maybe it's because I remember the days of extract brewing and could never brew these pale lagers or pacific ales that super light pale straw colour. No such problems with AG

I add it to the pilsners as well Jools, my recipe is based off Urquell which isn't pale straw in color but more golden. They'd get that from decoction mashing but I don't do that so a touch of black patent does the trick. 

I guess I associate that pale straw color with bland American megaswill, a lack of color means a lack of flavor. It's purely psychological because obviously this isn't the case always, but it does make me want to brew beers with more color, even if it is just golden.

Another option for you - something that was quite tasty last time out. I used gladfield lager light but you can sub any Pilsner like grain. 

This recipe has the late hops increased a bit on my last one and I'll be re-brewing it on the weekend. 

Slavic Pilsner

Brewer: Wobbly

Batch Size: 23.00 l Style: Czech Premium Pale Lager (3B)
Boil Size: 28.60 l Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 9.5 EBC Equipment: 50L Keggle
Bitterness: 30.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.049 (12.1° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Lager Step, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.008 SG (2.1° P) Fermentation: Fast Lager, Two Stage
ABV: 5.3%

Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
1.00  Campden Tablet (Mash 95 min) Misc 1
4.05 kg Gladfield Lager Light (2.8 EBC) Grain 2
280.0 g BEST Melanoidin (BESTMALZ) (70.0 EBC) Grain 3
200.0 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 4
150.0 g BEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC) Grain 5
3.3 g Hallertau Magnum [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 6
20.0 g Styrian Goldings [3.5%] - First Wort Hops 7
20.0 g Styrian Goldings [3.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 8
0.50  Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min) Misc 9
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Misc 10
45.0 g Saaz [3.7%] - Boil 5 min Hops 11
20.0 g Styrian Goldings [3.5%] - Boil 5 min Hops 12
1 pkgs Czech Budejovice Lager (White Labs #WLP802)

14 hours ago, Wobbly74 said:

Another option for you - something that was quite tasty last time out. I used gladfield lager light but you can sub any Pilsner like grain. 

Hey Wobbly thanks for sharing.  I picked up a 5kg bag of Gladfield Lager Light on special from BeerCo.  $12.95 IIRC.  Bargain, about the same price per kilo that I pay for 25kg bags, but without having to store it.

I haven't decided what I will use this Lager Light malt in.  This will help me.

Hard to describe, had the typical saaz Pilsner flavour but then an extra earthy & floral taste to it. Was quite a mistake - brewed it and ran out of saaz as I was measuring out the hops after the mash. It was either these or some C hops so quickly reworked the additions to throw in the goldings as I wanted something noble in character. Turned out surprisingly well, though totally not by design. 

Fair enough, sometimes those muck ups can turn out to be pretty decent or even excellent beers. I have 90g of Saaz unopened in the freezer but I'm holding off on brewing another pilsner until I get more. My best efforts have been the ones that have been hopped with Saaz and nothing else. Even when I had to throw in about 300g of it due to the alpha acid being so f'n low (1.3%!)

Wow - never seen an aa that low. 

Jools - the lager light seems roughly equivalent to the wey premium pils. I've used it for all lagers and mixed with some ale malt when I want an ale with a little less malt forwardness (as I use the regular gladfield ale malt as my ale base rather than their American ale malt). I've been meaning to do am asahi style lager with it but have almost finished the sack, but have a wey premium pils sack as a replacement in the shed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll post the German lager recipe I've been brewing for the last few lager batches I've done. I have a Czech pilsner recipe as well; you need really soft water for that one to turn out its best though.

Don't worry about the mineral additions in this, they're based on using 100% distilled water.

Mash at 64C for 40 minutes, 72C for 25 minutes and mash out at 78C for 10 minutes. Alternatively, just do a 90 minute mash at 66-67C and mash out. If you can't get Budvar yeast just use W34/70, it would be more to style anyway. I'm only using Budvar yeast because I'm a tightarse and don't want to buy another lager yeast at the moment ?

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
33.00 l               Brisbane Water (German Lager)            Water         1        -             
4.00 g                Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)      Water Agent   2        -             
3.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   3        -             
3.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   4        -             
2.00 g                Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   5        -             
1.00 g                Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins)                   Water Agent   6        -             
4.000 kg              Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)   Grain         7        90.7 %        
0.300 kg              Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         8        6.8 %         
0.100 kg              Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC)         Grain         9        2.3 %         
0.010 kg              Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain         10       0.2 %         
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - First Wort Hop           11       11.5 IBUs     
8.00 g                Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           12       9.4 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Boil 20 min Hop           13       5.8 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Boil 10 min Hop           14       3.5 IBUs      
20.00 g               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.30 %] - Steep 20 min Hop           15       2.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Budvar Lager (Wyeast Labs #2000) [124.21 Yeast         16       -             

I am ready to put the lager down but the only hops I could get where Hallertau 4.8% I cant get Magnum they are I believe a bittering hop if I use the 4.8% in there placeI think it may not work out as well. I have some sazz, centennial and pride of Ringwood in the freezer I don't know if any of those are a substitute or not maybe just go with all hallertou4.8% but it seems to much the same. also I could only get half the acid malt that's called for so a dull beer might be what I get.

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Acid malt is only there to drop the mash pH. You can use Hallertau all the way through, I actually plan to do one like that myself next batch if I have enough of it left. It will turn out well, maybe better.

thanks Otto the only reason I mentioned the acid was after I put the changes into beersmith the picture of the beer looked a lot like straw I prefer a more golden beer but if it tastes good then I will live with it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

I brewed this one and after being in the bottle for 15 days is shit hot it will I recon only get better with age I will be brewing this one again.

The only difference was the yeast I used w34/70

Archived