Coopers Community

Spearhead pale ale recipe - Any hits?

Kimberleycool

Gday Gday,

I am a massive fan of the Cricketers Arms Spearhead pale ale, it's a damn good brew. I am wondering if any one has had a crack at producing it themselves and have any recipes for it?

I found this online, from country brewers.

1 x Wal's Pale Ale 1.7kg (I MIGHT JUST USE COOPERS?)

1 x 1kg Brew Booster

1 x 150g Caramunich® II Grain (Steeped) (CRYSTAL/CARMAL MALT SUBSTITUTE?)

1 x 12g Amarillo Finishing Hops (Infusion Method)

1 x 12g Centennial Finishing Hops (Dry Method)

Cheers good people!

Hello Kimberleycool, & welcome to the forum.

That recipe looks like it would produce something reasonably close. The commercial version reportedly uses Amarillo in a late boil or steep, & Nelson Sauvin for aroma as a dry hop, not Centennial.

For a kit I quite like TCB's Wal's Pale Ale so would stick with it here. The Maurivin ale yeast that (I think?) still accompanies the kit, I would switch out for something like US-05 though.

Don't be afraid to bump the hop additions up to 20-25gms either. wink

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Hey Dudes

I quite like the Cricketers Arms range, they produce some very nice Ales at a decent price, I think they are under rated.

As for the Spearhead I don't get any Nelson notes, certainly Amarillo and what I thought was Cascade unsure. Where do the reports come from Lusty? To me Centennial in the recipe that Kimberley shared makes sense.

@Kimberleycool, welcome to the forum. I'd go with Lusty's suggestion and up the quantities to 25g as 12g is basically a waste of effort in home brew, IMHO.

I'd also be wary of using crystal or CaraMunich with a Brew Booster given the Booster has Maltodextrin in it.

For your questions in bold, I'd go for the Coopers Pale Ale myself, a combination of Light Dry Malt and Dextrose and I'd stick with the CaraMunich as Crystal is not a good substitute.

If you stick with the Wal's then go for 500g of LDM and 500g of Dextrose.

If you go Coopers go for 800g of LDN and 500g of Dextrose.

Steep some CaraMunich for both kits.

When you are boiling the steeped grain wort (after straining out the grains) I'd make the volume up to 5 litres and add 500g of LDM and bring to the boil. Add 25g of Amarillo and set the timer for 10 minutes.

Mix it all up as you normally do, straining the boiled wort and adding it when you normally add your hot water to the FV. Dry Hop with the Centennial 4 days after you pitch the yeast

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hiya Scottie. smile

...As for the Spearhead I don't get any Nelson notes' date=' certainly Amarillo and what I thought was Cascade [img']unsure[/img]...To me Centennial in the recipe that Kimberley shared makes sense.

I think you're confusing their "Session Ale" with their "Pale Ale" in this instance. The Session Ale definitely has Amarillo & Cascade, but the Pale Ale is Amarillo & Nelson Sauvin. wink

Where do the reports come from Lusty?

Err...the horses' mouth. tongue

http://www.cricketersarmsbeer.com.au/

I quite like the Cricketers Arms range' date=' they produce some very nice Ales at a decent price, I think they are under rated.[/quote']

+1

I've only had their Session Ale, but thought for a large scale commercial brew, it was quite tasty & well made.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Where do the reports come from Lusty?

Err...the horses' mouth. tongue

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Well there you go, not really "reportedly" though and you led me astray wink

I certainly use the Nelson differently to the Fat Yak. I am on record here in a thread as saying I do not like Nelson Sauvin, I still love this beer and I would say it is subtle and they have matched in perfectly with the Amarillo.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 9 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 6:25 PM, Hairy said:

I don't really like NS but quite enjoy the Cricketers Arms Pale Ale. I can't pick the NS in it so it must be subtle.

You do like Nelson Sauvin Hairy, but are a total n00b at how best to use it to give you what YOU want from it in YOUR beers. 😜 It's a superb & unique hop IMHO.

I hope you're enjoying your holiday time overseas. 😉

Lusty.

Archived