Coopers Community

Seasonal beers

RepSpec

So as the warmer weather kicks into gear here, it seems more people are asking about Saison style beers...then as it cools down, people start talking stouts and dark beers.

I have tried 1 type of Saison and the yeast/phenolic flavours put me off a bit, but im willing to expand my beer tasting.

So does anyone have any suggestions for commercially available Saison that can point me in the right direction...

Chevalier Saison by Bridge Road Brewers. Stunning

This is a great beer. You used to have to buy it in a champagne type bottle but I have seen them at Dans in 4 packs of 330ml bottles.

Saison DuPont is a nice drop too if you can find it.

I find brewing seasonally a lot of fun, and it is what people have done for thousands of years. The key is to use a yeast strain that produces good results at a temperature you can comfortable maintain (for me that means lagers in autumn and winter, American, German, Australian and English ales in autumn and spring and Belgian ales in summer. I like to use some sort of insulation to minimize the temperature swings during hot days and cold nights (eg a Cool Brewing Bag or a fermenter jacket).

Different Saison yeast strains will produce different results, some with more phenols and funk than others. I really liked Wyeast 3726PC. It also helps if you can keep the temperature down for the first couple of days of fermentation. I find my Cool Brewing Bag works great for this - load up the ice packs for a couple of days to let the yeast reproduce at a milder temperature, then ease up on the ice packs to let them loose for the bulk of fermentation).

Cheers,

John

Archived