• Last Reply
This recipe goes down fairly well:

ESB - made to 21 litres

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt

250g Of Sugar

Dry hop with some EKG or Fuggles if you like

Kit yeast or English Ale yeast of your choice fermenting at 21C

I recently did this recipe and I am now currently, impatiently, waiting to crack one. First dry hop, first bulk prime and first time using glass bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

English Bitter - Is this a light beer?

I wish I'd known that before I'd started...

I'm making this brew right now for the first time stock standard with just the LDM, and its looking like the ABV will be only 2.625%!

Unless I stuffed up?

I'm thinking I should have added extra dextrose.

[pouty]

Hey Jason,

the recipe suggestion, on the can (500g of Light Dry Malt mixed to 23 litres), should produce an alcohol content somewhere around the 3.2% to 3.6% mark. OG: 1030 with a FG in the range of 1006 to 1010. [biggrin]

For a full-strength beer you might like to use 1kg of Light Dry Malt next time. [wink]

Thanks PB2,

I will definately try this next time. Although I think I've done my Sums wrong too...

I got an OG of 1.028 with a FG of 1.008, but I haven't bottled yet. I plan to bottle this arvo if my FG is still stable.

I've done my Calculation with the G readings you supplied and only got an ABV of 2.88%, so its back to School for me...[crying]

Thanks for the help. It looks as if my ABV won't be as low as I first thought.

You have to add 0.4% to account for the bottle fermentation as well. They say add 0.5% but you'd have to be priming at 10g per litre to get that much. I actually worked out how much to add depending on how much priming sugar is used but I won't post all that at the moment. I use the HMRC ABV calculation for working out mine and putting it through that, with your figures:

1028-1008 = 20

20 x 0.128 = 2.56

+ 0.4 = 2.96.

Using the divide by 7.46 method it works out at 3.1%. I just figure the HMRC calculations a little more accurate because the multiplying factor changes depending on the size of the difference between OG and FG. I don't know whether this makes any real life difference but there must be a reason why they have done it that way.

This recipe goes down fairly well:

ESB - made to 21 litres

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt

250g Of Sugar

Dry hop with some EKG or Fuggles if you like

Kit yeast or English Ale yeast of your choice fermenting at 21C

I recently did this recipe and I am now currently, impatiently, waiting to crack one. First dry hop, first bulk prime and first time using glass bottles.

Holy batcrap, it knocked my socks off. Not sure if I overdid it or I have been conditioned to shitty commercial beers but holy crap its bitter, regardless, I really enjoy it, smells fantastic. And even better, its so bitter that Mrs wont even touch it [biggrin].

I did the recipe as suggested, with kit yeast and ended up with an ABV of a little under 6%, very happy! Thank you for the suggestion PB2.

That just goes to show how different people's taste perceptions are. I brewed the EB kit a couple of times and never really thought it was all that bitter myself. In saying that, I had been drinking craft beers and other home brews for a while already - if you're used to megaswill crap then it may seem quite bitter. Either way, the main thing is you are enjoying it! [biggrin]

It was a pleasure taking you to school that day, the kids enjoyed having you in the car. If you keep at it and work hard you will eventually graduate from primary school.

It is deceptive. I find it doesn't taste like 40 IBU; it must be the darker malts taking the edge off. With the last couple of times brewing this kit I gave it a 30 minute hop addition to bitter it some more [devil]

Archived