Coopers Community

English Bitter

Muddy Waters

Hello boys and girls,

In the near future I plan to give Coopers English Bitter a go for the first time. I'm looking for ideas on how to make good use of it. I want to do it as a full strength to around 5%.

My rough working plan is to use the kit with 1kg of LDM and 250g of dextrose. I guess goldings would be appropriate but I've not used them and am not sure what kind of hops schedule to use.

Any tips on what would be appropriate for this kit or what your favourite recipe using it would be much appreciated.

[biggrin]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made one!

Just from the recipe on the can though and I'm really struggling to get it carbonated. After two weeks I put it in the brew fridge at around 22 and now a week later there's still barely any fizz in the bottles.

It's okay - I expect I might drink it a bit more once it's a bit colder. I was kinda impressed at how clear mine turned out.

G'day Muddy,

I've made a few brews, but just the can and 500gm LDM, it has been ok for my taste but you may want to rev it up a bit, I tend not to make full strength much anymore, killed enough brain cells in my youth.

Muddy

When the SMOTY Ale finally finishes it's little sojourn in the tub (will be 2 weeks tomorrow, SG is still dropping - slowly but is only @ 1013 , temp at 18) I will be putting down an extra smooth EB to the recipe in the How to section (below). I have bought the molasses (and tried some in the SMOTY just for kicks).

\u20221.7kg Coopers English Bitter

\u20221kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

\u2022200g Molasses

I am really looking forward to this one, as I had a few good sessions on the John Smiths Extra Smooth a few years ago when over in the Old Dart.

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else who has an opinion on how to best utilise this kit please feel free to let it be known.

I tend not to make full strength much anymore' date=' killed enough brain cells in my youth.[/quote']

[lol] While I too need to look out for my remaining brain cells Ross, I still like a full strength beer - I just tend to have less of it. I have to limit my beer intake due to a gluten intolerance so I still like a beer to be around 5%. While I'm not looking to get drunk I still like to enjoy a bit of a buzz to go with the fine flavour I get from the fruits of my brewing toils.

I am really looking forward to this one, as I had a few good sessions on the John Smiths Extra Smooth a few years ago when over in the Old Dart.

I spent a few years living in London but indulged more in the affordable European beers that were in abundance. I kind of neglected most English beers under the assumption that they were just warm flat piss. Oh to be back in Blighty again...[tongue]

This recipe goes down fairly well:

ESB - made to 21 litres

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt

250g Of Sugar

Dry hop with some EKG or Fuggles if you like

Kit yeast or English Ale yeast of your choice fermenting at 21C

I have brewed the Coopers English Bitter a few times now, I tend to keep it simple though:

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

1.5kg Coopers Enhancer 2

During colder months I have used 2kg of EN2. Works well, but obviously takes a little longer to ferment.

Dry hop with some EKG or Fuggles if you like

What amount would you suggest Paul? I've never used Fuggles and am yet to taste my SOMTY efforts with EKG. I don't want to overdo it (or underdo it for that matter)

Just do a 50/50 blend and you've got all bases covered!

I just might do that Luke. But being the tightarse that I am I'll probably just buy one lot to keep expenses down [tongue]

Thanks Paul! I forgot to ask how longs a piece of string [biggrin]

I guess I might for around 30g to get a taste for it. I usually go for the upper end of the suggested amount for hops I'm familiar with (Amarillo, cascade etc.). Not sure what to expect from fuggles or EKG - I did like the smell of the EKG that came with my SMOTY but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll love the taste.

Baby steps, baby steps [wink]

I bottled my SMOTY Ale this morn after it spent 17 days in the fermenter, so am now about to bed a ESB. I am using the recipe from How to Brew here on the Coopers site, and am thinking of adding 300gms of Dex, along with the 200gms of molasses and the BE1 means it will have 1.5kg of 'extras'.

Will let you know how it goes.

I made one a few weeks ago using 500g LDME, 1kg dextrose, 15g fuggles and the supplied yeast.

Cracked a sampler the other day, after two weeks in the bottle and noted the smell was a little off, a bit sulphur-ish and the taste a little muddy and too sweet. I'm not sure what yeast Coopers supply but if I make it again I think I'll go for a Safale yeast and maybe 25-30g EKG, as the hops were hard to detect. Also will be leaving the current batch at least another 6 weeks to mature before trying another one as it should mature in similar fashion to a stout I made that had similar characteristics when young, but became a good beer in time.

How. I have just done a hydro check on the ESB put down last week. it had OG of 1050 and is at 1019 right now. I made it to about the 22L mark. It is brewing at around 18oC. It tastes fantastic [cool] , the sweetness has fermented out [love] . Can't wait [kissing] !

Thoroughly recommend this brew! Will definitely do another, and another, and.....[happy]

evening,

following on from post #17 below (or above depending on your settings), the only problem I am facing is that as with my post from Saturday, the brew is stil at the 1019 mark. It has been at 18oC and had dropped to 16 this afternoon.

Do I need to warm it up to get the yeast interested again? I used the kit yeast, and don't have the date at my disposal right now, but it was around the 34509 mark, from memory.

If your recipe is the one you mention at post #5, it contains 1kg of BE1 so expect it to finish around the 1012 - 1016 mark. Even more reason for it to finish high considering you only made it to 22 litres.

Thanks Paul, that is the recipe base used, I also added approx. 300gms of dextrose.Is the 1018-19 mark still a reasonable FG for this combo [cool] ? I intend to let it settle until the weekend before bottling anyway, just making sure [rightful]!

Trusty, in post #17 you asked "how", and to be honest I'm really at a loss with this one[crying]. All I can put it down too is brewer error, but can't think where.

I used: 1.7kg can Coopers EB

500g LDME

1kg dextrose

15g fuggles hops in tea bag (because I like Fuggles)

Supplied yeast

Made yeast starter of 4 tablespoons malt and 500mls water with supplied yeast. Boiled LDME to sterilize, as packet had an air leak. Added dextrose and hops, then cooled with lid on, and added to fermenter. Dissolved can of beer and slightly over filled (oops) to 23.5L. Pitched yeast at 22 degrees. Ferment temp dropped slowly to 20 degrees over first two days and stayed there for duration. OG was 1042 and reached 1008 after 4 days where it stopped dead. Bottled after 7 days.

The strange taste I'm getting seems to be yeasty in nature. Could I have over pitched? Should I have racked the brew? Left longer for yeast to settle? Anyone?

• 8 months later...

Hi guy's just thought i would mention i was drinking my mates english bitter last night that has been in the bottle since march last year and it was magnificent. the head retention was amazing. He just uses be2 and thats it. Worth while storing some for a bit. Cheers Mikey[biggrin]

Archived