Coopers Community

Tell me about your favourite specialty stout.

BenT1

After my recent brew of a coffee stout I've become interested in various specialty stouts, unfortunately the double chocolate stout I tried tonight was terrible, very little chocolate taste and very chemically tasting. So please tell me about commercial stout you've tried and enjoyed.

G'day Ben,

I moved your post because the Beer Banter forum is reserved for discussion about Coopers Beers.

Is the Double Chocolate Stout, you tasted, brewed by Youngs? If so, I wonder whether the beer was beyond its best before??

I must admit that I don't generally seek out stouts to try.

However, some of the stouts I've enjoyed:

Coopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Special Old Stout

Murphy's Irish Stout

Cascade Special Stout

Southwark Old Stout

Lobethal Bierhaus Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Some of the best stouts I've tasted were brewed at home...

Thanks for moving this topic. It was the Youngs double chocolate i tried, out of date is a real posibility as it was really undrinkable. Thanks for the list they all sound quite enticing, My reason for buying a chocolate stout was to taste one with the (longterm) goal of making one in the future.

Although I am a firm believer in the philosophy: "Don't fruit the beer," I must say that a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of a frosty mug with a pull of bourbon poured over and topped off with Young's Double Chocolate Stout is certainly one of my favorite desserts!

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Dock Street Milk Stout are also quite tasty all by themselves!

g'day SteveL - I found this recipe for M's Irish stout on a website, I wrote the recipe down, but not the website, so sorry, no reference, other than WWW.somewhere.com.au1 and no guarantees - I haven't brewed it......yet!

1.7 Thomas Coopers Irish Stout

500gms Light Dried Malt Extract

300gms dextrose

1 x Morgans tea bag hops - Saaz

15g Brew Cellar Premium English Ale yeast

I didn;t record the volume for it to be made to (23L?) or the hops addition/steeping method, but I did get that you have to ferment 18-22C.

From all of the posts from Muddy regarding yeast, I'm sure he would probably recommend using a cultured pale ale yeast. You would, of course make it to 18L to minimise overflow and top up after a few days, and we all now about 2ndry fermentaion.

Give it a go and let us know.

Trusty

I'd personally recommend using a re-cultured pale ale yeast ;)

No - seriously I haven't had a Murphy's Irish so this yeast may not be suitable. I do tend to repeatedly recommend re-culturing a pale ale yeast but that is for beers where you want the authentic "Cooper's" flavour.

Trusty, the recipe looks good, particularly since I developed Thomas Coopers Irish Stout to be somewhere between Murphy's and Guinness...the versions we get in Australia that come in the 440ml can plus widget.

However, I raise an eyebrow at the Saaz addition. If I were to add something to get it closer to Murphy's I would go for a dark specialty grain like 100g of Roasted Barley, not hops.

I may as well add the recipe I used (by mistake) for my current favourite Stout, which was my 2nd ever brew (bottled 13 March) and have almost knocked over.

1.7kg Coopers original Stout

1.0kg Coopers BE2

500gms Coopers Light Dry Malt

1/2 tab brigalow hops (absolute optional extra)

kit yeast

Prepare as per instructions that come with the kit. I say by mistake as I thought I read somewhere that this was a recipe to replicate a guinness. If I did actually read it somewhere I can't relocate it. I am drinking it very young (the stout, not me) when you consider here on the Coopers website there are recommendations for years of cellaring (not saying that they need years, but will benefit from them) and I think it is exactly what a stout should be (I think?) - robust, with a slightly bitter finish, but only after the pleasing (dark) chocolate and slightly licorice tastes have exploded in your mouth, and then subsided. The extreme dark colour are matched by the texture, with the extra malt (remembering there is malt in BE2) adds another background hhmmm! to each mouthful.The one thing I am really looking forward to is the increased mouthfeel (smoothness) and head that (supposedly - this was only my 2nd brew, but I am a believer) comes with time in the bottle!

All in all, I think this is one the best mistakes I have ever made, and would encourage anyone who enjoys the dark side to venture into, then tweak to their own taste. Luke has encouraged me to try grain steeping. I bought some chocolate malt stuff today, and will tweak my own mistake on Lukes recco!

Trusty

Coopers Best Extra Stout is a favourite. I recently bought a bottle of Mr Coopers and a bottle of Guinness Stout, the one brewed under licence in Australia. I should have done the right thing and poured the 'ssenniuG' down the sink. It was nothing like the Made in Ire stuff I had years ago. Very sad.

Another sad departure is the demise of 'Swan Stout' - don't make it anymore. Unfortunately, just as I was getting into beer in a nice way (Thankyou Mr Coopers), and trying all the peculiar beers on offer in the local grog shop, Swan Stout, in my reckoning, was a beauty. Curse the multi national breweries.

Anyone else sampled a tipple of Swan?

Gaz

I make a Coopers Stout,Dark Ale and 500g LDM to 23L...I have made it a couple of years running, the first year it was fantastic, last year it was OK but didn't pour or hold as good a head as the previous one this year I tried only 19L. It pours and holds a perfect head but tastes a little bit sweet at the moment, it is only about five weeks in the bottle so I am hoping it ages a bit closer to the first one. I think next time I make one I will stick to the 23L, I may well make it soon for next winter so it can have plenty of time to condition!

• 2 years later...

Hi Ben

I know this is an old thread, but I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit about your coffee stout? I've read references to using coffee beans in stout, is that what you did?

How did yours turn out anyway?

Hi Ben

I know this is an old thread, but I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit about your coffee stout? I've read references to using coffee beans in stout, is that what you did?

How did yours turn out anyway?

Ben's last visit to this forum was June 7 2010. Somehow, I don't think he is going to reply to your question. Nevertheless, you can use coffee but personally I would be more inclined to use something like Black Patent.

Archived