Coopers Community

How Good is Beer?

Scottie

Surely you have all seen that advert for a pre mix drink, Bourbon and Cola I think, where a Beer Bellied Beer Fairy dies every time one of the yuppie dudes drink a can. I really don't buy it.

Firstly a disclosure - since I took up home brewing I have sworn off Coke and other soft drinks, so effective have I been that I doubt I have had more than 1/2 dozen cans since 2011.

So today I notice a few bottles of pre mix including Johnnie Walker and Cola and Bundy and Cola. It might make a pleasant change I think to have a couple of these while painting the family room. Drink the first, Scotch and Cola, a Dry Spirit and afterwards I am left with sickly sweet after taste. An hour later I drink the Rum and Cola and the result is the same. I grad some BBQ Samboys to try and get rid of the after taste. I continue painting feeling a bit sickly.

Finish up grab a shower and home made Ale off the tap. The results are so different that I have to post and share. After only 1/2 a glass the mild bitterness from my APA has refreshed my palate.

The beer is going down well and its time to pull another one from the keg.

According to Chemistry Beer is a Solution lol

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thank you Scottie, for confirming my suspicions that beer is quite wonderful stuff.

As for those mixer thingys , I'm with Hairy - don't get why people mix perfectly good spirits with sweet fizzy muck. If you dislike something to the extent that you have to kill the taste with cola, then why drink it at all ?

IMHO any sugar based drink, whether mixed with alcohol or not is likely to give you a quick sugar hit, followed by a crash that can make you feel woeful, let alone the impact of the alcohol.

The exception to my mind seems to be drinks like ginger beer or ginger ale, where there is a balance of bitter/sour against the sugary sweetness.

Add to that the fact that sugars are converted into fat in your system, & I see little reason to drink sugary drinks most of the time.

I gave up my old preferred bourbon & coke more than a decade ago, & the few times I've had it since has made me feel crook.

Likewise, if I do drink any sugary drinks, - which is a pretty rare occasion, I tend to go for ginger or lemon flavours, as they offset the cloying sweetness of the sugar.

The couple of times I've drunk coke this year tended to set off a real sugar buzz, followed by a terrible crash in mood, the sort of thing I try to avoid as I already have a battle on my hands to stop BPD sabotaging my moods.

So yeah stick with beer; so long as you don't drink too much of it or too often, it's much less likely to cause harm or leave you feeling wore for it.

IMHO any sugar based drink' date=' whether mixed with alcohol or not is likely to give you a quick sugar hit, followed by a crash that can make you feel woeful, let alone the impact of the alcohol.

The exception to my mind seems to be drinks like ginger beer or ginger ale, where there is a balance of bitter/sour against the sugary sweetness.

Add to that the fact that sugars are converted into fat in your system, & I see little reason to drink sugary drinks most of the time.

I gave up my old preferred bourbon & coke more than a decade ago, & the few times I've had it since has made me feel crook.

Likewise, if I do drink any sugary drinks, - which is a pretty rare occasion, I tend to go for ginger or lemon flavours, as they offset the cloying sweetness of the sugar.

The couple of times I've drunk coke this year tended to set off a real sugar buzz, followed by a terrible crash in mood, the sort of thing I try to avoid as I already have a battle on my hands to stop BPD sabotaging my moods.

So yeah stick with beer; so long as you don't drink too much of it or too often, it's much less likely to cause harm or leave you feeling wore for it.[/quote']

** Like **

Archived