Coopers Community

gassy beer

old bill

Two weeks is a better timeframe to leave all beers before bottling. It lets the yeast clean up a bit after fermentation resulting in a better flavoured beer. 6 days is pushing it to have them completely fermented unless you've got the temperature quite high, or are brewing low OG beers.

I would be taking hydro readings on every batch if I was you. After two weeks it's highly likely that the beer is fermented, but I'd rather spend a couple of minutes taking a hydro reading over 2 or 3 days and confirm it, than just assume it's done and bottle it and hope for the best. It's a possible explanation for your batch being over carbonated. rightful

Thanks Mr Van Blotto will follow up and take those time consuming readings over 3 days. have also gone beserk on cleaning , bottle brushing and then sansuning to drip dry prior bottling.Again thanks for your input.regards old bill.

It would be advisable to remember that the infection, if there is one, could be in the fermenter OR the bottles.

If it is an infection causing over carbonation in the whole batch it would seem more likely that it was introduced before bottling, than every bottle being infected with it before being filled with beer, given your cleaning and sanitising procedures for the bottles.

Archived