Coopers Community

S J Porr Challenge a Conversation

Magnaman

G'day Brewers, I have been following the S J Porr challenge 2014 from when I first heard of it back in about March this year and the results are in. surprised

He's rightfuly excited with the results of a years hard work for many involved.

So who's S J Porr you may say, he is the person credited with starting Home Brew Wednesday on YouTube and a keen home brewer.

S J Porr challenge 2014 Home page... the graph is low for Australia, don't you think?

Little Face Brewing, S J Porr on YoueTube The Home of Home Brew Wednesday.

You may well say so what? Our K1W1 cousins fared very well, the plucky overachievers from across the ditch.rolleyes

Aussies were under represented, the original HUB organiser for Australian had to pull out and an old Coopers Forum friend Gash Slugg stepped in to help out and he himself wound up being pretty crook of late, hope your feeling better Gash. The more people that know about the challenge the more that may get involved?

Most here may have no interest in any of this, other experienced brewers, acitve and lurking may and participation is available to all from North America, Europe, UK, Australia and shhh new zealand (shhh, they did real well) shhhh. whistling and maybe many other places?

Some here may be interested in what is ahead for S J Porr challenge 2015?

you can sign up to get information if you have any interest.

Hey PB2 the folks at Regency Park may be interested in sponsorship? unsure

Below is a link too What the challenge and year meant to SJ himself.

I hope some at least find it interesting and fun, I did, and at my stage in home brewing I'm not thinking of entering but the future brings many challenges. wink

Cheers.

Hi Magnaman.

A year or so ago? unsure a link was provided to this challenge by a member of the forum (It might have been Ruddy? unsure)

It's certainly an interesting concept, & given that the amount of entrants seems to be going up each year, it appears to be growing in interest & popularity through home brewing circles.

For those perhaps seeking a bit of notoriety for their beers it may provide a stepping stone to bigger & better things if you did well, or at least some bragging rights to your brewing brethren. tongue

I'd prefer to enter a beer in a local or state competition & have it judged before I even considered entering one in a global challenge such as this. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day Lusty, yeah that was me, A Coopers Club Competition, post #4. wink

Hey I get were your coming from and my intention is just to get people to know about the Challenge

I think the idea behind it is not for personal kudos but to brew your best beer and share it with other like minded brewers near and far and those in the challenge judge what they like and how they taste, so it's a lottery as to whom may win, it's about home brewers brewing good beer maybe even great beer and having fun doing it. happy

Cheers.

What you say is true no doubt, one guy in the challenge brewed a Black garlic IPA, the idea of such a thing would never cross my mind and while some loved it others were left cold. w00tsick

Though to me it opens my mind to options I may have otherwise never considered and all I was doing was checking a few of the goings on as the challenge took place. happy

Cheers.

What you say is true no doubt' date=' one guy in the challenge brewed a Black garlic IPA, the idea of such a thing would never cross my mind and while some loved it others were left cold. [img']w00t[/img].

You, Magnesium Man, have absolutely no imagination. How about these ones off the top of blonde head:

Aoli Ale

Ketchup Kolsch

Barbeque Bock

Carrot Cold

Lettuce Leffe

Wasabi Wheat

Broccolini Bitter

Turnip Tripel (this one is for Baldrick)

Zucchini Zeitgeist (pending approval for beer style from BJCP - one sip and you're possessed)

Open your mind, my dear friend. The opportunities are endless.

You' date=' Magnesium Man, have absolutely no imagination.

Open your mind, my dear friend. The opportunities are endless.[/quote']

P2, while what you say is patently true, you do need to realise that I didn't have the access to your "Walter Bishop" like organic chemistry knowledge nor the deep pockets or connections to expand my imagination to your dizzying heights. tongue

Cheers.

Aoli Ale

Ketchup Kolsch

Barbeque Bock

Carrot Cold

Lettuce Leffe

Wasabi Wheat

Broccolini Bitter

Zucchini Zeitgeist (pending approval for beer style from BJCP - one sip and you're possessed)

A current member of the forum who has been a bit infrequent over the last 12+ months' date=' would probably consider actually brewing at least half of that list such was/is his interest in hurling bizarre & non-standard ingredients into his brews.

If you're out there [b']AdamH[/b], yes it's you I'm referring to! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

You' date=' Magnesium Man, have absolutely no imagination. How about these ones off the top of blonde head:

Aoli Ale

Ketchup Kolsch

Barbeque Bock

Carrot Cold

Lettuce Leffe

Wasabi Wheat

Broccolini Bitter

Zucchini Zeitgeist (pending approval for beer style from BJCP - one sip and you're possessed)[/quote']

You forgot Iceberg IPA! Crunchy, but refreshing, and needs to be kept in the bottom drawer of the fridge to stay fresh.

I think the SJPORR Challenge is a fantastic concept. No doubt the guys running it are doing a sterling job. The logistics of all that international-beer-mail alone would be a nightmare. I won't be entering in 2015, but I am going to be spending the year working on something that I would think is worthy of entering.

I think the SJPORR Challenge is a fantastic concept. No doubt the guys running it are doing a sterling job. The logistics of all that international-beer-mail alone would be a nightmare. I won't be entering in 2015' date=' but I am going to be spending the year working on something that I would think is worthy of entering. [/quote']

Well said Stinger, I agree, brew beer, brew great beer and enjoy the fruits of your labour! wink

Now where have I heard that said? smile

Cheers.

G'day Brewers, If you have a bit of spare time here is a podcast of a Radio interview with S J Porr about him and The Challenge. smile

Brewing Basics radio interview with S J Porr wink

This interview in the podcast starts after the 7 minute mark and goes for 40 minutes. smile

Brewing Basics Home page

If you go here choose podcasts then choose Basic Brewing Radio and you can get the iTunes or mp3 version. wink

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the heads up Magnaman. I probably won't enter, but it did make me realize that I have been doing Homebrew Wednesday unintentionally for most of this year due to my wife having night classes. I brew a batch one Wednesday, then the next Wednesday I bottle the previous batch and put that batch on to ferment.

Thinking about it - if I was going to make a 'local' beer, it would be a Kumquat Wit with kumquats from my garden. I'd also try to get some Voyager Buloke Pilsner malt which is grown not too far away. And I'd hope my Perle hop produced some cones next year to throw in.

Good luck if you enter something!

G'day Sir Lusty & Upmarket, I'm not going to enter a beer due to restricted personal circumstances. unsure

I do like the SJ Porr concept, brewers judging brewers and this years challenge, brew a local beer, Upmarket's idea is what it is all about, what you have, what is at hand, what is unique to your area, hey Lusty something with CCA? smile

We have many talented brewers on this forum and some may consider entering, Australia was under

represented last year, so the more that know about it the better chance to lift participation. wink

Brewers and Sponsors needed. wink

Cheers.

Archived