Coopers Community

Aussie Craftbrewers appeal to ACCC & WTO

antiphile

Very interesting story.

Thankfully my local has plenty of craft beers on tap, and supports the craft beer industry, they even have a craft beer fair every year, in fact in the downstairs bar the craft brews on tap far outnumber the megaswill taps.

Sadly the food is not up to the standard of the beer though; it looks good, but you realize the next day it's not up to scratch.

No surprise that some of the really successful micro and craft brewers are being bought out by the megaswill brewers, it's their way of tapping into the market without having to do the hard yards.

Coopers themselves have done the same with some imported beers - now made here under license, but at least unlike some others they're up front about how they do business (in most regards).

Up until March this year I was living in Kalamazoo, MI (yes, it's real) and saw first hand how their relaxed regulations encouraged an explosion in micro brews in Michigan. In our temporary little town I witnessed at least 6 micro breweries pop up in 18 months or so. Glad to be home but will always have fond memories of literally being spoilt for choice of extremely high quality micro breweries. Hopefully we can see the same here in OZ.

On the forum this isn't a new topic as such. It is evolving though, the discussion is certainly intensifying, & that's a GREAT thing I reckon. cool

Some previous (but very much still relevant) discussions...

WHY IT'S HARD TO FIND A DECENT BEER IN MANY PUBS (ON TAP)

IT'S TIME TO END THE CRAFT BEER REVOLUTION

Ultimately for the craft brewing industry to "work" & evolve in Australia, I feel it really needs to model itself on the successes of areas like Colorado in the USA, & some of what is emerging out of the UK over the last few years.

Beer Culture: Movie Link (Well worth your time to watch!) cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived