Coopers Community

Dry-Hop Mix???

Gigantor

Am about to do a simple 23 litre batch of Coopers Pale Ale recipe. I have a fair few hops pellets in the freezer and want to use as much of this as I can.

I have:

2 x 50grams Amarillo

2 x 50grams Centennial

3 x 50grams Galaxy

2 x 50grams Citra

I like a nice hoppy beer - so not scared of a little hop. Have never used Centennial or Amarillo before but have been looking forward to.

My question is relating to dry-hopping only. Though I was also thinking about steeping some hops in some hot water and adding that to the mix at the beginning to drive some bitterness.

I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking of dry-hopping with 50 grams of each the 4 varieties. But was wondering if this would be enough/too much/just the right amount in my 23 Litre batch? I love my hoppy IPA's etc.

What's your thoughts/suggested mix/quantity thanks?

Cheers,

Pete

Nah, he hasn't come across that way before.

Pete, 200g is likely to be way too much for a dry hop in a pale ale. 50g Galaxy on it's own would pack a punch.

If you like it really, really hoppy then you could try 20g of each. Even that may be too much for some but it is down to your personal preference.

I tend to limit my dry hopping in pale ales to 30-50g in total. In an IPA I go much higher. My last IPA was 120g and it was a sufficient whack of hops.

Also, not all hops are created equal. Amarillo is a hop that you can dry hop with a larger quantity and still be a little restrained.

Galaxy on the other hand has a very strong aroma where a little goes a long way.

Centennial is somewhere between the two (and is a great hop by the way).

I have never had much luck dry hopping with Citra but others love it.

So in summary, yes I think 200g is too much but the amount you use is up to you.

Am about to do a simple 23 litre batch of Coopers Pale Ale recipe. I have a fair few hops pellets in the freezer and want to use as much of this as I can.

I have:

2 x 50grams Amarillo

2 x 50grams Centennial

3 x 50grams Galaxy

2 x 50grams Citra

I like a nice hoppy beer - so not scared of a little hop. Have never used Centennial or Amarillo before but have been looking forward to.

My question is relating to dry-hopping only. Though I was also thinking about steeping some hops in some hot water and adding that to the mix at the beginning to drive some bitterness.

I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking of dry-hopping with 50 grams of each the 4 varieties. But was wondering if this would be enough/too much/just the right amount in my 23 Litre batch? I love my hoppy IPA's etc.

What's your thoughts/suggested mix/quantity thanks?

Cheers' date='

Pete

[/quote']

Hi Pete,

If it was me, I'd probably dry hop with the Centennial, but even then 20 - 30g would be more than enough.

If you're after bitterness, you won't get it from dry or steep hopping, so I'd probably go with a hop boil of about 20g Citra in your sugar/malt mix that you're adding to your Pale Ale can.

Typically you'd do a boil of maybe 500g of your sugar or malt with about 4 - 5 litres water, bring it to the boil, then add your Citra for at least 20 mins to get the flavour and bitterness, then pour it into your FV (after cooling for about 1/2 hour in a water bath with ice), making sure to filter out the solids; you're getting your hop bitterness and flavour from the oils boiled, so you dispense with the solids prior to adding to your mix.

If memory serves me, my most recent batch I actually did a boil with 1kg malt, added 15g Citra, filled topped up with 5 litres of water and boiled for about 30 mins (added the hops once the mix was on a rolling boil).

I put this into the FV, and this was actually a Canadian Blonde brew.

Added 15g Centennial on day 3.

Bottled the batch just the other day, and the sample tasted good.

You may find you'll get an oily residue on the top of the brew in the FV; don't worry, it's just the oil from the hops, and nothing to be concerned about.

I can't see why my recipe wouldn't work just as well with the Pale Ale as it should with the Canadian Blonde.

As for the other hops, keep them in the freezer, they should be okay for a few months or longer, so long as you don't take them out before you're ready to use them.

Sounds like you've got enough hops to do a fair few batches, or a very strong hop profile beer, but better to do it bit by bit, rather than overdoing it, as you may end up with a brew so bitter it won't be palatable; take your time getting used to using hops and building your tolerance or you'll wish you'd held back.

Hey Pete

I tend to agree with Hairy, I am a little more restrained with my hopping though. So I'd say 200g is way too much, you know sometimes less is more. I would say that dry hopping 50g is quite a bit in 23 litres, to give you a guide PB2's Hop Slam IPAs use 50g of hops.

You seem really keen to throw four types of hop in, but once again I'd say less is more. Why not combine two varieties with 25g each. I would suggest Amarillo & Centennial in one brew, Centennial and Galaxy in another. As for the Citra I'd be inclined to do a 5 minute boil (Boiling is how you extract bitterness the longer the boil the more bitter, steeping hops doesn't drive bitterness) of this one, add it to the Coopers APA and dry hop with 25g of Galaxy.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Pete I dry hopped a Pale Ale with 20gm of each Amarillo, Cascade and Nelson and it was very hoppy and nice but I would not go with 50gm of your hops it might be to much.

But will you be upset if it is no good you have nothing to loose right?

Ron

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just use 25gram each of Amarillo and Centennial this time round and see how that comes out.

Also saw a comment elsewhere suggesting the Coopers APA can has quite an amount of bitterness already. So will not do any steeping at the beginning.

I appreciate all your advice, experiences and comments. Very helpful indeed.

Cheers,

Pete

Also saw a comment elsewhere suggesting the Coopers APA can has quite an amount of bitterness already. So will not do any steeping at the beginning.

It isn't all that bitter. Made to 23 litres, the APA would result in an IBU of approx. 25.

25gms each of Citra and Amarillo steeped for 10 minutes and then the same amounts dry hopped create a lovely hop profile. I am currently enjoying this in an APA that i used with Amber malt and fermented with US05

Its definitely one of my best efforts biggrin

OK bit the bullet and laid down a new pale ale on the weekend that I tweaked.

Used a can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale, Coopers BE2.

I steeped 20grams of galaxy, centennial and amarillo and added the liquid only to the APA can and BE2 and then topped up to 21 litre mark.

Will dry-hop with the other 30grams of each for the last 4 days of a 14 day stay in the fermenter.

Looking forward to a nice hoppy pale ale. Time will tell if it will be too hoppy, just right or not enough.

Cheers,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Will be bottling the Three-Pete pale ale on Saturday - but couldn't help myself and had a wee taste last night.

Very nice indeed and not over-powering at all.

Great aroma of passionfruit/tropical fruit. The taste is peach and passionfruity, which I'd expect to mellow in the bottle over coming weeks/months. The colour is also very nice and pale. Also SWMBO was very complementary about the taste last night as well.

Really looking forward to drinking this over the Xmas/New Year break. Will be doing this one again I reckon.

Cheers,

Pete

Update.....

Bottled the Three-Pete on Saturday and only just got 28 x 740ml bottles out of it ;-) Was drinking it as I bottled - it was very nice. Reminds me of the early Stone & Wood Pacific Ale (just didn't have the bubbles). With the amount of hops that went into it, the clarrity was surprisingly good.

Now just gotta leave it alone for a couple of weeks to condition. Might just be ready for it's first viewing in time for the Boxing Day Test. :-)

Cheers,

Pete

Archived