Coopers Community

VOTE NOW: Which beers should I drink?

ICzed

Hey everyone - I was lucky enough to win two tickets to "Armakeggon" at the Archive Beer Boutique in Brissy this Sunday. It's a keg fest where they'll have 57 Extreme beers & ciders on offer from 10 am til 6 pm. I haven't been before but from what I understand you can either buy a taster (105ml) or a pot of your desired brew. Here is the list:

1. HOLGATE – UXB UNEXPLODED BOMB DOUBLE ESB

2. CROOCKED MOON – SIMPLISTIC PIMPSHIT BRETT IPA

3. STILLWATER ARTISANAL – WHY CAN'T IBU?

4. CAVALIER – COFFEE IMPERIAL STOUT 2014

5. 8 WIRED - FARMHOUSE PALE

6. SIX STRINGS - GOTHIC IMPERIAL STOUT

7. ROGUE FARMS – 7 HOP IPA

8. WILD BEER – EVOLVER IPA

9. EPIC APOCOLYPSE – BLACK IPA

10. BRIDGE ROAD/8 WIRED COLLABORATION – NIEUW BRUIN COGNAC BARREL AGED BROWN ALE

11. FLYING COUCH – DARK MATTER IMPERIAL STOUT

12. BREWFIST/ToOL – SPACE FRONTIER

13. ToOL – MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

14. DOCTORS ORDERS/SIXPOINT – OPERATION PARALYSIS

15. THORNBRIDGE – VALRAVIN

16. PRAIRIE – PRAIRIE ALE

17. EVIL TWIN – LIL’ B IMPERIAL PORTER

18. DE RANKE – NOIR DE DOTTIGNIES

19. THE HILLS – HOPPED CIDER

20. EXTRAOMNES/STILLWATER ARTISANAL – MIDGAL BAVEL

21. FERAL – WATERMELON WARHEAD

22. HARVIESTOUN – OLA DUBH 18

23. GREEN BEACON – SEVEN SEAS

24. BYRON BAY BREWING – FIREFACE IMPERIAL SCHWARTZBIER

25. GULDEN DRAAK – 9000

26. ToOl - Dangerously Close To Stupid

27. MOO BREW – BARREL –AGED IMPERIAL STOUT 2012

28. CLOWN SHOES – BLAECORN UNIDRAGON

29. BACCHUS – QUEEN ANNE'S REVENGE IMPERIAL SPICED STOUT

30. ALL INN BREWING – YOU PROVIDE THE CORN CHIPS

31. MOUNTAIN GOAT/BROOKLYN BREWING – RIDGEY DIDGE

32. PINES ALESTARS – COMFORTABLY NUMB

33. NEWSTEAD BREWING – GENERAL JACKSON’S BALTIC PORTER (on the hand pump)

34. RIVERSIDE BREWING – 777

35. NOGNE O – TRIPLE WOOD KNOT BROWN

36. YEASTIE BOYS – POT KETTLE BLACK REMIX 2014

37. BATLOW CIDER – OPA

38. ELYSIAN BREWING – SUPERFUZZ BLOOD ORANGE

39. NORTH COAST BREWING – BROTHER THELONIOUS

40. NOISY MINOR – YALUMBA THE OCTAVIUS BARREL-AGED DORIAN GRAY

41. SUNSHINE COAST – BIG BROWN BEAVER

42. STONE & WOOD – SMOKEY JASPER ALE

43. BRIDGE ROAD BREWERS – B2 BOMBER MACH 4.0

44. HITACHINO NEST – REAL GINGER ALE

45. BROOKLYN BREWING – HAMMARBY SYNDROME

46. NEWSTEAD BREWING – DAVOS CHARDONNAY CIDER

47. FOUNDERS – OLD CURMUDGEON ALE

48. ELYSIAN – DRAGONSTOOTH

49. YOUNG HENRYS – TEXAS HOP POKER

50. THE ROCKS – THE DRUNKEN MONK

51. WHITE RABBIT – JET COW

52. THE ROCKS – THE DRUNKEN MONK

53. HITACHINO NEST – YUZU SAISON

54. WILLIE SMITHS – WILD FERMENT CIDER

55. EPIC – LUPULINGUS

56. ARCHIVE/DIAGEO – THE RANDALL PROJECT

57. WHITE RABBIT – RYE RABBIT ALE

I've highlighted the beers on my hit list, if anyone else can recommend some to try it would be swell. There are a fair few Saisons & Imperial Stouts on offer which will be new territory to me.

Any other Brisbanites attending?

Cheers + beers,

Mark.

Hi Mark.

Q: Which beers should I drink?

A: Given that you highlighted the word "Extreme",....AS MANY AS YOU CAN!! biggrin

In situations like this, take advantage of the broad range on offer, & make an effort to try some styles you haven't tried before out of your comfort zone, along with some that you obviously enjoy. Don't forget to ask the brewers plenty of questions. You'll end up coming away with a lot of ideas for future brews.

Sounds like a great day ahead. I hope you enjoy it! cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

I like the look of this:

10. BRIDGE ROAD/8 WIRED COLLABORATION – NIEUW BRUIN COGNAC BARREL AGED BROWN ALE

partly because it's aged in Cognac Barrels (the Fullers Armagnac Barrel Aged Ale is sensational) and also because it has the longest title sideways

My game plan, if I were to go, would be to share each taster with a mate. Do a flight of no more than 6 (with a common theme/style) between the two of you and then have a glass of water a nibble on something whilst discussing what you've tasted. This should give a sufficient break before moving to the next flight. wink

Hey everyone, I thought I’d check in and let anyone who’s interested know how I went – from the beers I can remember anyway. Not that I got legless but it’s hard to remember all the beers due to the amount of tasters that were imbibed.

Favourites:

Feral Brewing Watermelon Warhead Berliner Weisse 2.9%: This was my first sour beer and I couldn’t have asked for more. As someone who loves tart & sour flavours this was right up my alley. Tasted like traditional Greek/acidophilus yoghurts but in a beer.

Lindemans Framboise Lambic 4%: My mate Pete introduced me to this beer, it was delicious. Great tartness from the raspberries and wild yeast without the bitterness of conventional beers.

Noteworthy:

Brewfist/To Ol – Space Frontier Grape IPA 6.5%: Great IPA with a neat twist.

All Inn Brewing – You Provide the Corn Chips, Salsa Inspired Ale 10%: Not one for the faint of heart, I’ve had chilli beers before but this one was like drinking pureed chillies, super hot.

4 Pines – Comfortably Numb Coffee & Szechuan Pepper Stout 5.4%: Very clever beer, starts with coffee and finishes peppery like a shiraz.

Elysian Brewing – Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale Ale 5.4%: Not bad but less memorable than the Grape IPA.

Crooked Moon – Simplistic Pimp Sh*t Brett Wild Yeast IPA 6.0%: Another great IPA with a nice zing from the wild yeast.

Clown Shoes Beer Blaecorn Unidragon Russian Imperial Stout 12.5%: My first RIS, surprisingly sweet. Would drink again.

The Hills Dry Hopped Apple Cider 6.0%: A great cider with added hop flavour and aroma, great drop.

Stone & Wood Cloud Catcher 5.7%: It’s like they’ve taken Pacific Ale, added Ella and made an even better beer in it's own right.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Archived