Coopers Community

1.5 can wheat malt extract

pompadour9811

Hi fellow brewers, Question, I am intending to do the hefeweizn recipe here and the problem is that the recipe calls for 1kg of wheat malt extrac but the can I just received is 1.5kg will it hurt to add the full can, if so what can I do with the last 500g thanks in advance

Hi pompadour9811 & welcome to the forum.

With the Coopers DIY recipes, I generally follow them to the letter. They are tried & tested recipes for the styles they are aimed at reproducing. Once you step outside those bounds listed in the recipe you alter the balance created in that recipe that gives you the beer intended by Coopers.

Adding the extra 500gms of LME might not sound like much, but it will most likely sweeten the beer, add to possibly an excessive head development, & most certainly imbalance the intended bitterness level of the beer.

If it were me, I'd use 2/3 of the wheat malt extract can as advised, replace the lid, cover with cling wrap & put in my fridge for use in a future brew. wink

Good luck with the brew.

Anthony.

I have made this beer twice; once with 1kg Liquid Wheat Malt and once with 1.5kg Liquid Wheat Malt.

If I were to do it again with the 1.5kg then I would do a 20 minute hop boil to increase the bitternes slightly; not too much though.

And as Ben recommended, any leftover malt should be boiled when you next use it.

Adding the extra 500gms of LME might not sound like much' date=' but it will most likely ........ add to possibly an excessive head development[/quote']

A bit of scare mongering Lusty? lol I guess excessive is a subjective term, but I wouldn't be too concerned with this.

A bit of scare mongering Lusty? lol

This is what I do best....apparently. rolleyes

If I were to do it again with the 1.5kg then I would do a 20 minute hop boil to increase the bitternes slightly; not too much though.

Interesting that you mention adding in a small hop boil if using the extra 500gms of LME.

I'm sure I read something about a reason for that somewhere...

Adding the extra 500gms of LME might not sound like much' date=' but it will...most certainly imbalance the intended bitterness level of the beer.[/quote']

whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived