Coopers Community

Epic Beer Brand

antiphile

The things I learn with just idle chit chat with people can be eye-opening. A neighbour of mine gives very honest opinions when I sling him some bottles from my man cave. I recently gave him some of the Pale Ales to critique, and I was a bit surprised when he told me the one I was proudest of was a little too sweet for that style. Of course, I went back and had another, and I could see where he was coming from (I suspect I really should decrease the malt in that one).

During the talk, he told me one of his best mates owns a brewery in NZ called Epic Beer. Yep, the neighbour is a kiwi, but I don't hold that against him because people can't be blamed for their birth defects (Oops! Am I allowed to say that?) sick

I had a troll around on their website and it seems these guys are serious hopheads. He also told me there is bottle shop nearby that sells it, but it was pretty expensive stuff; so I might have to wait a while before I give it a go. I'd be interested, though, in any opinions from those that may have cracked one open.

Cheers

Phil

I have only tried the Epic Mosaic IPA and it was great.

The Oak Barrel in Sydney CBD stocks them so I might pick up a couple of other varieties when I am there. I won't say 'other styles' because it seems that most of their beers I have seen stocked are IPAs.

As for your problem with sweetness, try replacing some of your liquid/dry malt with dextrose to dry it out a little. Increasing the bitterness will counter it somewhat but the sweetness is still in the background. Perhaps a combination of the two.

Top idea, Hairy. I don't suppose I'm really that surprised that I didn't pick it up by myself, because I suspect I was concentrating on the lovely flavours the hops imparted, rather than taking a wider appreciation. Another lesson for young(ish) players to learn.

Hi Sir Les.

The two Epic Brewing beers that seem to be spoken about most are the Armageddon IPA & the Mayhem.

Both of which sound very appetizing from my point of view. cool

P.S. Since you've handed out some of your brews to your neighbor, & he is friends with the owner of the brewery, why don't you ask him to sling you a couple? whistling

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived