Coopers Community

Nelson Light

PaulM1111

G'day all,

First post in ages. I have ventured into BIAB but as bub number 2 is on the way I am thinking I will need to bash out a few kits and bits/extract brews to keep the brew day down to an hour or so.

Been looking at the Nelson Light recipe - has anyone brewed this and provide feedback? Looks like a good brew to have kegged without getting stonkered! Might change up the hop bill....

Was also thinking of something like this for a future brew:

Mid APA (20 litres)

Coopers Pale Tin

500g DME

250 Caramunich 2

10g Citra and Cascade @ 10

10 g Citra and Cascade Dry Hop

US 05

Should be about 3.8 abv... around 30IBUish

Feedback would be awesome on both these brews since I haven't brewed with extract in some time.

Cheers.

Hi PaulM1111.

I've brewed the Nelson's Light recipe four times now. Three times (as is listed) for my father, & once for myself where I modded it up to a Mid-Strength.

It's a great little recipe full of flavour that I rate higher than any commercial light beer I've ever tasted. [joyful]

Highly recommended. [cool]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Cheers Beerlust.

I was also thinking of upping it to more of a mid strength. Do you recall your OG/FG and IBUs?

I have been searching for PB2s original post about this recipe ages ago before it was actually put on the how to brew site as a recipe. Anyone have a link?

Going to knock this one out tomorrow.

Entering the recipe from the "how to brew' section of the site into Brewmate and wonder what the 30 min flameout addition of Nelson Sauvin would add as it's not being chilled? Surely there is some utilisation during this 30 mins?

Just paranoid this brew will be mighty bitter for such a low ABV from the flameout addition.

I am making this to 19 ltrs as per the recipe to get around 3.2% abv.

Hi PaulM1111 & Hairy.

If you are no-chilling then the flame out addition will be roughly the same as a 15 minute addition of a chilled wort.

I think Paul is referring to the Nelson Sauvin steep with the lid on after the 30min boil of the Centennial where the wort is deliberately held at near boil temperature for 30mins. After that 30mins has elapsed the wort is then cooled in cold water for 10-20mins.

This is why I didn't offer any IBU numbers, as to be quite honest, I don't know accurately what level of IBU is created under these steeping conditions. [unsure]

I am making this to 19 ltrs as per the recipe to get around 3.2% abv.

If you are copying the recipe in the How To Brew section but altering it to 19 litres, I would expect you to be closer to 4.0% (naturally carbonated), 3.6% ABV (C02'd).

Just paranoid this brew will be mighty bitter for such a low ABV from the flameout addition.

Relax. In PB2 we trust. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I don't reckon you'll have any issues with it being way too bitter. I brew AG and "no chill" it, admittedly a different process, but it stays hot a lot longer than half an hour. When I create my recipes I don't adjust the hopping for no-chill and have never had a beer turn out way too bitter, or even really anything noticeably higher than I was going for. Some of them have even turned out too sweet! [lol]

Yep I get 3.1% in my brewing records spreadsheet based on those gravity readings, not counting bottle priming if you are kegging.

Though, my version of Ian's spreadsheet has it at 1034 - 1007 as a 19L batch, which puts it at 3.5%.

But as you say, you'll make beer so all these numbers and crap aren't really THAT important. [cool]

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back on this one... I must say I am pleasantly surprised how nice this one has turned out. With sun out on Sunday I had a few off keg - it really is a nice quaffing light ale with enough flavour and hops to keep it interesting. Mine came out about 3% abv.

Might play around with this one when I can't brew BIAB with some Citra or Simcoe... not a huge Nelson fan but I am glad I brewed this beer.

Highly recommend. [biggrin]

Archived