Adz Cerveza Lager

Adz

Hi All,

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza

1.0kg BE2

200g Carapils

Kit Yeast + W34/70

Summer Saaz Hops @ 15 mins

I thought I would try lagering this one. I have two FVs now and so whilst my Oktoberfest recipe is in at the moment, I thought why not!

Anyone tried lagering a Cerveza ?

Cheers,

Adz

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I've got a Cerveza sitting in the primary for 2 weeks now.

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza Goo

1kg BE2 as recommended

Lemon rind of 1 lemon, steeped for 5 min and dumped in the primary. (Afraid that it might be overpowering so I only used 1 lemon; I only scraped the rind not the pith)

My garage now smells of bready, citrusy goodness. Does anyone know what hops are in the goo? Standard POR?

Any comments?

Thanks!

I performed a taste test after one week in the bottle.

Good flavour, you can certainly taste the style, the hops have added a nice melon touch. Still a little sweet, no head, but bubbly.

Obviously, needs plenty more time to finish secondary and to achieve the head goodness.

Will post further details in a month.

Cheers,

Adz

Cervesa as a Lager... is it just the lager yeast that makes it so? Excuse my lack of knowledge. I'd like to do another lager pretty soon so it's ready for christmas summer by the beach.

As an aside, keep me up to date with your Saison experiments. I'm very keen to work on the farmhouse ales.

"Cerveza" itself is just the Mexican word for beer. It's not an actual style. I believe most of the commercial Mexican beers are brewed as lagers though. Basically if it's fermented with ale yeast it's an ale and lager yeast it's a lager. [cool]

There was a lengthy debate about this a little while ago as I recall though. [lol]

I like Sol better and not that keen on Corona, I would be interested in what others think of this kind of beer.

It's quite funny BJCP puts Corona Extra in the same category as Birra Moretti, Heineken, Beck's, Stella Artois.

As far as to whether a true Mexican cerveza should be brewed with an ale yeast or a lager yeast, I'd lean towards a lager yeast.

White Labs actually have a Mexican Lager Yeast in their portfolio of available yeasts. A friend of a friend of mine whom I've spoken with about brewing numerous times, really rated it, & successfully won a competition category with it.

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast

The person I speak of, is actually the guy who posts the first review on that page. Ignore the date it claims he posted it, as he actually posted that back in 2008!

I've only come across one supplier here in SA that carries White Labs yeasts (not one I've purchased from as yet), but I will endeavour to get a hold of this strain for my next lager style brew.

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 1 month later...

Tasted tested on the weekend. I quite liked it, it reminds me of Sol, Citrus passionfruit melon charactersitcs. I should try to post pictures soon.

I, and some of my family enjoyed it. However the others didn't show the usual lit up eyes that I experienced previously. But after discussing this style, it turns out they were never that keen on this style anyhow, therefore they don't count! [bandit]

I would make this recipe again for next summer.

Adz

Archived