Coopers Community

Winter Warmer - Honey Malt Ale

DaveH21

Well, I just bottled my Cascade/Galaxy APA.

After cleaning up and sanitising, into the FV went;

1 x Coopers English Bitter

1KG Amber Dry Malt

400g BE2

600g Plain Honey

3 x Coopers Yeast Sachets pitched at 24 degrees (will be a steady 18 in about 8 hours)

SG = 1058

I'm not planning on dry hopping as I want the honey to "speak" along with a bit of warming alcohol.

Here's hoping [unsure]

What, no photo? [biggrin]

Looks good. I am not much of an expert of brewing with honey but I hope that the honey flavour doesn't get lost in the strong flavours of the EB kit and amber malt.

There is only one way to find out. Let us know how she goes.

LOL Hairy [lol]

I've decided to give the photos a rest - too much work - but I'll post a photo when I pour the 1st one [happy]

Re the honey, I don't want it to dominate. I just want it to "be there" - like on the finish in the mouth.

I haven't used the English Bitter kit before. But I tasted the vial when I measured the SG. To be honest, I could only JUST perceive the honey - but hey, this is early days.

This might be my last ale for a while. The brewing area drops pretty rapidly around the end of May to an ambient 11-13. Whilst I'm not much of a lager drinker, I'll see what I can come up with during the cooler months....

This might be my last ale for a while. The brewing area drops pretty rapidly around the end of May to an ambient 11-13. Whilst I'm not much of a lager drinker' date=' I'll see what I can come up with during the cooler months....[/quote']

You have a couple of options here.

If you can get the temps up to 15-16 degrees then you could use US-05. It will just take a little longer to ferment.

Otherwise you can brew your 'ales' with lager yeast. Stouts and porters are sometimes brewed with lager yeast.

Get yourself a brewing fridge and then it is summer (or winter) all year round!

I just threw out perfectly functional fridge a few weeks ago...but that is no help to anyone now [pinched]. But I guess my point is that there is plenty out there going free or cheap.

Get yourself a brewing fridge and

Get yourself some aspirin.

Hey Dave

Based on what I've read and now my own experience brews containing honey have a tendency to give you a headache [pinched] .

My honey blonde, 500g each of honey & LDM, came out at 5% in the keg that's 5.5% bottled. I had 5 375ml beers last night four of which were honey blonde. The result was my first home brew headache.

Be interested in how yours turns out, but you may need to find another way to keep warm [biggrin]

I once used 1kg of honey and 500g LDM with an English Bitter kit. At the start the honey was a bit over the top, but at the end of the (checks notes) two months it took me to drink it the flavour had mellowed and it was brilliant. I was looking for the honey taste though, so if you don't want it up front then 600g might be a good amount.

not sure this will turn out that well for me

I've decided that I definitely DO NOT LIKE the aroma that the Coopers Packet yeast brings to the party.

Hopefully things will mellow, but in future I'll be tossing that yeast in the bin[pinched]

Hope the yeast character cleans up for you. Wonder if you would prefer a liquid English yeast strain instead.

As for the cooler temperatures, you could always brew a Baltic porter with lager yeast. [bandit]

Archived