Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale - Commercial Keg Version

DaveH21

Hi Everybody,

I am new to the site, and this is my third go around at home brew. I did it pretty seriously in the late 80's and again around 2001. So I'm getting back into it [biggrin]

The last few months, I've become quite addicted to the commercial keg version of Coopers Pale Ale. So I thought I would try and get my first new brew close to that, and then work out from there.

Does anyone have a recipe that would get me close, or should I just start out with the advice already here to try and clone the commercial bottled Coopers Pale Ale? I've already got the 6 pack of Pale ale going in an attempt to culture the yeast.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Everybody,

I am new to the site, and this is my third go around at home brew. I did it pretty seriously in the late 80's and again around 2001. So I'm getting back into it [biggrin]

The last few months, I've become quite addicted to the commercial keg version of Coopers Pale Ale. So I thought I would try and get my first new brew close to that, and then work out from there.

Does anyone have a recipe that would get me close, or should I just start out with the advice already here to try and clone the commercial bottled Coopers Pale Ale? I've already got the 6 pack of Pale ale going in an attempt to culture the yeast.

Thanks.

Dave

hi there welcome to the forums. ive had a couple goes at homebrewing and like you ive become very partial to commercial Australian Pale Ale...best i think ive ever had on tap. Im sure the boys will throw some great recipes your way by days end.

For something simple try:

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

500g Light Dry malt

300g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Dextrose

23 Litres

Coopers Commercial Yeast fermented at 20 degrees

The last ingredient is most important. If you want to get as close as possible to the commercial beer then you will need to use recultured Coopers yeast.

You could also bitter it further with some POR if you want to increase the IBU a little.

It won't be spot on but will be similar; at least in the same ball park.

Thanks Hairy !

My previous home brew over the years, whilst at times getting pretty good, always had that sort of home brew taste.

After reading thru this site, and catching up on the knowledge of the last 12 years that I have been away, I'm putting that down to the sachet yeast in the can coupled with too high a temperature (around 25-26).

I have a spot in this house which is a very constant 20 degrees. So coupled with the cultured yeast, I'm hoping to improve on my earlier efforts.

The kit yeasts turn out quite nice beers, but the ferment temp and ingredients are the key. Between 18 and 20 is good. Your 25-26 may have been partly to blame plus whatever ingredients you used in conjunction with the kits. A fair few people just chuck in a kilo of sugar or dextrose and the resultant beer is rather [sick] Very thin and cidery generally.

Welcome Dave!

Follow Hairy's recipe and I think you will end up with something pretty close to Coopers Pale Ale.

Good to hear you are reculturing the commercial yeast. Just follow the instructions properly and it comes back to life very strongly!

Good luck with this one. [cool]

• 1 month later...

I myself am in the pursuit of this....

The one thing i haven't got right is bitterness. I've got colour and mouthfeel pretty good, and not bad head retention (not that commercial coopers is stellar with this anyway - at least not at any of my "locals")

I've been boiling 20g of POR for an hour (which a recipe i have found elsewhere called for). A little too bitter but at three weeks bottled there's a definite bitterness drop.

I think the most fun about working to a goal like a clone recipe, is that it's teaching my palate so much! One little change to the recipe and you can really taste what it does.

I think best way is to start with a base recipe, and go from there, small adjustments at a time! When i get one that i'm convinced is fair of a recipe post i will add to this one again.

Good luck, and share with us your experiences [biggrin]

I just dropped this one down, I used Beer converter kit #76. It contains Maltose, Dextrose, Malto-Dextrin, Malted Barley and cascade hops. Instead of the pellets that came with it I used about 50grams of cascade flowers added at the start. I dont know and cant find the exact amounts in the kit. Hopefully it makes a nice brew. I used 11.5g safale yeast. Beautiful Krausen after 24hrs and a trub layer, brewing at about 18c, ambient at the moment in the laundry. Hope yours works out awesome [biggrin]

I myself am in the pursuit of this....

The one thing i haven't got right is bitterness. I've got colour and mouthfeel pretty good, and not bad head retention (not that commercial coopers is stellar with this anyway - at least not at any of my "locals")

Hey Matt

If I was to do a clone of this I would go with PB2's own recipe. Have you tried this one in your pursuit.

Hey there Scottie,

I've currently got two brews just coming into age that i'm comparing.

First is an Aus Pale Ale kit with a BE2, 20g POR (1hr boil) and CPA commercial yeast - so very similar to that recipe but with the hop addition.

This is getting there. Too bitter though. Tastes to me, like it could use more hop flavour rather than bitterness additions. Has a nice colour smell and feel, good initial creamy head that fades to some nice lacing... It's currently around 4 1/2 weeks bottled. I think with more ageing the bitterness would subside enough but at this point it's half gone (how did that happen???[innocent] and a little unbalanced, however not terrible)

The second is really coming into its own now at exactly 3 weeks today in the bottle. It is a Coopers (white label) lager kit. 1kg light dry malt, 20g POR (1hr again, but boiled with 100g dextrose), 100g dextrose added after the boil, and CPA commercial yeast. This one is VERY close.

Better head and retention than the previous, a more balanced flavour. Slightly darker in colour to the commercial but not so much in flavour. Again slightly on the bitter end, but much more balanced than above. I am inclined to repeat this recipe but halving the hop boil (to 30minutes) to compare. I'd like to do this slowly, and make one change at a time (with similar to identical procedure). Depending on how the next batch goes (have a starter i'm kicking back into gear as of yesterday) i would like to then possibly drop the dry malt down to say 700g and add teh extra in dextrose for comparison sake...

I'll post the recipe in full when i'm happy with it, but by all means the white label lager recipe i would recommend as a nice one to anybody!

Cheers!

For something simple try:

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

500g Light Dry malt

300g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Dextrose

23 Litres

Coopers Commercial Yeast fermented at 20 degrees

The last ingredient is most important. If you want to get as close as possible to the commercial beer then you will need to use recultured Coopers yeast.

You could also bitter it further with some POR if you want to increase the IBU a little.

It won't be spot on but will be similar; at least in the same ball park.

Thanks Hairy.Now I have to put down another recipie.So many brews so little time.

Archived