Coopers Community

Double IPA

harviek

Looking to make a double IPA and came up with this recipe.

2x Cooper's IPA

1 x Cooper's LME

500gm dextrose

30 gm dry hopped fuggles

250gm crystal malt

for 23L

Expected OG 1075

Expected FG 1018

Approx ABV 8.2%

Should I use the supplied Cooper's yeast or go with an English Ale yeast?

Any thoughts and suggestions on the recipe would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

H

*edit*

Thoughts on using Motueka and galaxy hops in lieu of fuggles?

are you aiming for english IPA or American IPA? That will determine which hops you use..

Looking to make an English IPA

Stick with the fuggles then.

Your numbers are at the top end the English IPA range, but in style nonetheless.

BJCP - English IPA

Make sure you pitch enough yeast. Mr Malty suggests 17g for this batch. Maybe you can get yourself an 11-12g English Ale yeast and throw in one kit yeast too.

I wouldn't go with Windsor though as it doesn't attenuate as much as other dry English yeasts and you will end up a higher FG.

are you aiming for english IPA or American IPA? That will determine which hops you use..

Looking to make an English IPA

Stick with the fuggles then.

Your numbers are at the top end the English IPA range, but in style nonetheless.

BJCP - English IPA

Make sure you pitch enough yeast. Mr Malty suggests 17g for this batch. Maybe you can get yourself an 11-12g English Ale yeast and throw in one kit yeast too.

I wouldn't go with Windsor though as it doesn't attenuate as much as other dry English yeasts and you will end up a higher FG.

Would that just make it sweeter? Or maltier if it was just malt that was added, not dextrose?

A higher FG will give it more body but also make it sweeter, especially in extract brews.

Dextrose should increase the OG but leave the FG the same. This increases the alcohol but not the sweetness.

Malt extract does not fully ferment out so increasing the malt will increase the OG and the FG resulting in more residual sweetness.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be insanely bitter! Maybe you could use an English Bitter kit and an IPA kit. They both use the same aroma hop, Styrian Golding.

I wouldn't bother with the crystal malt, there is already a ton of malt in there, and you don't want the FG to finish too high.

The 500 grams of dextrose is fine and will help prevent a high FG.

Certainly follow the good advice about pitching enough yeast, and make sure you pick a fairly attenuative one.

Also, have you thought about increasing the dry hop? Maybe up to something like 50 grams.

Archived