Coopers Community

Hopping Mild Amber Ale

Hey All,

A while back Hairy suggested I try a recipe of "Dr. Smurto's". The brew is a real mix up of a few different styles. The good "Dr." calls this beer an Amber but the OG is too low to fit the style, the IBU's are way too high to fit into a Mild's shoes. The hops are all American with a Britsh ale yeast. Another unusual (for me) thing about this recipe is the bulk of the hop additions at the 0-20mins in the boil with only 5 g at the 60mins mark. Needless to say I found it an interesting one to try. I've never followed anyones recipe to the letter before. I didn't this time either[innocent] . I tried though, you might know what I mean[tongue].

This is what I came up with and will be putting this one down in the morning.

1.65Kg Munich Malt 10L

1.0 Kg Pale Malt

.4 KG Wheat Malt

.25 Kg Chocalte Malt

.1 Kg Crystal 120L

5g Amarillo 7.8% 60min(FWH)

5g Centennial 11.1% 60mins(FWH)

15g Cascade 5.3% 20mins

15g Columbus 16% 20mins

15g Centennial 11.1% 0mins

12g Amarillo 7.8% (Dry hop)

15g Cascade 6.4% (Dry hop)

5g Irish moss 10mins

2L starter Wyeast 1098 British ale

21L water

Mashed @ 70C/158F for 60mins. Boiled for 60mins

OG 1.037 FG 1.009 AVB% 3.64 IBU 36.2

Thanks Hairy for the suggestion. I did try to make it close.[roll]

Hi Chad.

As for the hop additions, I reckon I remember the Dr saying that all of his recipes are no-chill, that would explain the small bittering additions and the majority late additions.

Looks like a nice one though, you'll have to let us know how it goes. How many litres? EDIT: Sorry, just read the 21L [roll]

I agree it looks like a nice recipe. I'm keen to try the FWH method on my next pale ale. I plugged it into Beersmith, the estimated IBU is about 40. These are my hop additions at the moment, but I may drop one of the bittering additions or alter it slightly:

10.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 5 12.8 IBUs

10.00 g Super Galena [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.2 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 6.8 IBUs

20.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

With the FWH method, should I put the whole 30g of Cascade in when I start bringing to the boil as per the method, or less of it? Or combine 10g Cascade with 10g of Willamette? Or just drop the Willamette altogether?

Hi Chad.

As for the hop additions, I reckon I remember the Dr saying that all of his recipes are no-chill, that would explain the small bittering additions and the majority late additions.

Hey Phil,

I can see where you're coming from about the NO-chill suggestion. When I plug this hop bill into brewmate the IBU was in the 50's. I'm planning to chill this baby since I have heaps and heaps of snow in the yard for a sNOw-chill! This method takes about an hour to bring it to pitch temp.

p1100296y.jpg

I agree it looks like a nice recipe. I'm keen to try the FWH method on my next pale ale. I plugged it into Beersmith, the estimated IBU is about 40. These are my hop additions at the moment, but I may drop one of the bittering additions or alter it slightly:

10.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 5 12.8 IBUs

10.00 g Super Galena [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.2 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 6.8 IBUs

20.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min

With the FWH method, should I put the whole 30g of Cascade in when I start bringing to the boil as per the method, or less of it? Or combine 10g Cascade with 10g of Willamette? Or just drop the Willamette altogether?

Hey Kelsey,

I'm new to the First Wort Hopping (FWH) myself. I use the software Brewmate so when I am listing my hops for FWH I select for example First wort @60mins. I take this to mean the hops are added to the first runnings as the mash is being run off and then boiled for 60mins[unsure] . This logic would lead me to think you could not FWH @ any other time then the full boil time. Any later adds would not be considered as FWH. I don't see the IBU #'s change drastically from FWH to a normal 60min boil but it's supposed to be a smoother bitterness[unsure] .

Looks good Chad! Its always nice to add your personal touch. And definitely no "no-chilling" for you [biggrin]

I am pretty sure that DrSmurto is a chiller but recommends that his recipe aren't adjusted for no-chilling.

Yeah I think you're right Chad. I do BIAB so I'm guessing it means add the hops after the bag is taken out after mash out, then bring it to the boil and do the other hop additions minus the late ones that are used in the FWH. [unsure] I have Brewmate as well so I'll put the recipe into that and see what it does. There's no FWH selection on Beersmith that I can find.

So I put this one down today. It was a good, long brew day. Everything went well! I'm still trying to get to know my system. (ie Evaporation rates, Volumes of preboil wort, etc., etc.) I can't seem to hit my volumes at the end of the boil. I collected 26L of wort from the mash but after a 60min boil I could only come up with 17L in the FV. I topped it up with a 2L starter and 2L of tap water. @ 21L the OG was 1.038! Right on the money as far as the recipe goes.[cool]

The brew is quite dark and nicely hopped. We'll see how the British ale yeast with it esters blends the whole thing toether! And the dry hopping can only be a good thing.[w00t]

This one is looking good to me. I hope its a winner!

The brew is quite dark and nicely hopped. We'll see how the British ale yeast with it esters blends the whole thing toether! And the dry hopping can only be a good thing.

What temperature will you ferment it at with the British Ale yeast?

I haven't used that yeast but it sounds fine. I guess you don't want too much ester production if you want all those hops to shine through.

I was just curious.

I don't know what to expect with this brew. Did you use the Windor yeast for your Dr. S LAA? How is it coming along? This is the 3rd generation on this Wyeast 1098 for me. I haven't really sampled any of the brews I've made with it yet, though.

The krausen is up and at it this morning. I most often chill my starters the night before Brewday and then decant most of the liquid for before I pitch. This time I chucked the whole lot in to help bring the brew up to 21L. I guess I can't call this one an AG brew since the starter was made from DME.[roll]

Did you use the Windor yeast for your Dr. S LAA? How is it coming along?

I couldn't get my hands on any Windsor yeast at the time but I had this in the fridge:

Craftbrewer English Ale Yeast

I have used it a few times before and I quite like it.

As for the beer, it is great. It came to hand really quickly but a few more weeks in the bottle has made it sensational [love]

I will definitely be adding some more milds to my brewing roster. My next brew is a dark mild and I just need to work out which yeast to use. I am thinking Wyeast 1318: London Ale III.

Has anyone out there used this in a mild?

I went to see the Cat in the Hat stage show at the Opera House recently. It was a great show; I might take the kids next time [biggrin]

Thanks for the response Chad. It was about as useful as the responses I usually give [lol]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived