Coopers Community

Best of 2012 at Log Cabin Brewery

I've been sampling some of the older brew I still have down in the celler. These are bottles, usually around a dozen or so that go up on the shelf for a longer term aging. Wow, it seems that time is a significant factor in the quality of a home brewed beer.

I have a short list recipes that have really suprised me in how much they have improved with time.

The brew I am sampeing at the momment is a Porter style recipe that is very rich and malty flavour with medium bitternes and a complex nose that give you rich chocolate & raisin from the malt and molasses combined with a real earthy woody aromas from the hops. I put this one down on March 2/2012.

Parsontown Porter

1.7Kg English Bitter

550g LME

200g Molasses

150g Carapils

50g Roasted Barley

12g N. Brewer's 8.6% (15mins), 5g (5mins & 0mins)

10g EKG (10mins), 5g (5mins & 0mins)

11g Notto rehydrated and pitched @ 22C. Brewed at 18C

21L water

Grist was steeped for 30mins @65C in 4L water then sparged with 2L of "hot" water. Probably a 12L boil for 60mins.

This is the first of a few submissions for the best of 2012.

• 7 months later...

While looking through some older threads I spotted this lonely thread with no replies. [sad]

This is the first of a few submissions for the best of 2012.

What happened to the rest of the submissions Chad? That must have been one hell of a good porter! [lol]

I would of thought the "Big Island IPA" might have got a mention? [cool]

Or was this around the time of the Log Cabin Brewery mass contamination? Where everything got bleach bombed? [crying]

I'd be interested in anything else you may have conjured up, that you thought might be worth brewing.

Anthony.

2012 was a bad year at the brewery, I guess.[roll]

I think this post was something spawned from another lonely New Years eve[crying] .

I think I was drinking out some of the older stock at the time awaiting something good to come out of the brewery[annoyed]

I was feeling the affects of a mass contamintaion where I lost several brews. Stocks were low and I had to hit the aged stuff.

Hi Chad. [happy]

Sorry to drag up bad memories with my post. (It wasn't my intention [pinched] )

I've been doing quite a lot of partial mash brews of late & my brew days have been quite long because of this. So for this weekend's brew day, I just wanted to brew something that wouldn't take me 3-4 hours, but would still produce a very flavoursome & enjoyable beer.

When thinking of what I might brew, your 'Big Island IPA' came to mind. [biggrin]

As I'm always trying to expand my brewing knowledge, I thought a good IPA might be just what the doctor ordered. I liked the oak chips & the added crystal malt on top of the Real Ale kit in your recipe so thought I might include them in this one.

What do you think of the following?...

Thomas Coopers IPA 1.7kgs

Light Dry Malt Extract 1kg

Medium Crystal grain 250gms

Dextrose 250gms

Maltodextrin 250gms

6 litre hop boil:

Riwaka hops 15gms @ 20mins

Riwaka hops 15gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep)

Riwaka hops 30gms dry hopped after 4-5 days.

American Oak chips 30gms (added just before yeast pitch)

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres.

I haven't used Riwaka before, so I just want to single hop this brew to see what all the fuss is about. It's said Riwaka does go well in IPA style beers.

All thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

I haven't had any luck with the TC IPA kit. I have a couple of bottles left from my last attempt. It probably is 9 months old. I brewed it with 1.6Kg of amber LME + late Fuggles & EKG additions + oak chips + kit yeast.

When I read this post I went down to the cold room (not so cold these days[annoyed] ) to try one . [sick] [sick] I had to tip it out!

Wow, Chad. That sucks. The IPA kit is in my top 3 right up there with the EB and APA cans.

Have you tried using American hops with it instead of UK ones? I know it's basically an EIPA from the can, but some Citra and Centennial to add an extra 15-20 IBU is f**king incredible!

I only can get this kit when I'm out of town so I've only tried it a few times. I can't seem to make it taste good. I think the OS Real kit make a way better AIPA. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think the 'fancy' kits are trying too hard.

My three faves are:

1. OS Real

2. OS Stout

3. OS Draught

Phil,

Thanks for the tip on the US hops! I don't think I'll bother though. I'm not into experimenting with kits these days. Work and AG have my time booked these days[happy] .

Excuse me for interjecting into a "Man Love" moment... [lol]

Do me one small favour Chad. The next time you feel lazy on a brew day, & can't be bothered with a mash day, but still want to brew something, brew this from the How To Brew section....

Thomas Coopers IPA (Mild recipe)

I added another 250gms of maltodextrin above what the recipe states & it was lovely. [love]

I know your brewing knowledge & experience is much further developed, but I promise you, you will enjoy being able to taste the flavours of this kit with minimal interference. It's very forward flavoured. Just give it a chance to shine without adding outside flavours. Then you be the judge. [rightful]

I reckon this will give you a more favourable outlook on the kit tin. It's a great kit. [cool]

I wouldn't sell you wrong.

P.S. I threw down the recipe I listed above on Friday just gone. [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

I have made that recipe in the past. If I recall it was alright.

I'm sorry I didn't comment on your recipe before you put it down.

I haven't even heard of these Riwaka hops before let alone tried them. Why are you adding the maltodextrin? I would have thought the Crystal grains would give the body/mouthfeel you are looking for. I haven't touched the stuff for a long while now and have never missed it.

Hey Lusty,

Here's a PM recipe that I put down a while back using the OS Stout kit. It turned of amazing! Give it a try sometime.[wink]

1.7 Kg OS stout

500g Pale Malt

350g Honey malt

200g toasted wheat malt (toasted in the oven @350F for 2omins)

1Kg DME (light)

6g Fuggles 4.7% (30mins)

10g EKG 4.4% (10mins)

23L

US-05

Mashed @68C for 60mins

toast the wheat malt the night before. Don't burn it!

Phil,

I can't say that the toastiness was donimating the flavour but it was present. I think this recipe has a bit of complexity with the honey malt, toasted wheat and the roastiness of the stout kit. It all blends really well for the best stout I've made, yet!

I must admit this is the one and only brew I've used toasted malt in it. I would say that the toasted malt would be a lot more up-front in a paler ale. We'll just have to try that someday, eh!?

That's an interesting recipe (as usual) Chad. Does the toasted wheat provide a "nutty" flavour?

If it were Jan/Feb, I might look at putting something like that down. But given we are coming towards the end of our winter period here in AUS, I'm looking at brewing lighter styles for our spring/summer months ahead. I have a handful of my February bottled Porter's left, along with a good quantity of my "Be-fuggled Ferret" to see out the winter. [biggrin]

Given the use of some ingredients in your recipes, & the fact that you live in real "Man's country", I can gather assembling your utensils to begin some brewdays, might be quite unique.

Axe....Check. (wood chips)

Flamethrower....Check. (toasting grains)

Beekeeper uniform & smoker.....Check. (collecting honey)

Tractor....Check. (to get places in the snow, & crushing grains)

Rifle.....Check. (You never know what you'll run into out in the woods)

Just kidding. [lol] [biggrin] [innocent]

Remind me of that recipe come January. [smile]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Chad.

So which Paul Bunyan are you referring to?

Cinema Purgatorio/Virgil Films (June) 2013 version

[unsure] [lol] [biggrin]

Look into Honey malt. I think it might be tuff for you Aussies to find this. If you can't then maybe maybe you could find a substitute (this??) . I've heard tell this malt has honey sweetness [unsure] Or you could make your own' date=' eh?[smile']

Or you could try...

Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise Malt

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I bottled the recipe I listed above, earlier today. The flavour/aroma intensity of that Riwaka is quite impressive. [love]

I failed to mention in the earlier post that I deliberately bittered the recipe to approximately the same IBU level as Chad's IPA recipe (about 48 IBU).

Let's just say that while taking in the aroma & tasting the gravity sample, it took me back to the "Big Island"! [lol] [cool]

Those wood chips do add another dimension. An unmistakable presence in the end beer.

I'll update in a few weeks after an early taster. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I couldn't help it, & had to throw a stubbie of the brew I listed earlier in the thread, in the freezer earlier today to try it.

As you can imagine after 10-11 days it has a low level of carbonation, but apart from that, all I can say is WOW!! [love]

The heart of the recipe is Canadian Eh!L's Big Island IPA recipe. The credit for the malt base & hop schedule structure is definitely attributed to what I learned from brewing & tasting Chad's recipe.

The single use of Riwaka on a similar schedule in conjunction with the Thomas Coopers IPA kit & a few adjuncts as used with Chad's recipe have produced a fantastic flavoured IPA beer.

Sure it's early days with the conditioning phase of the beer, but I just see it getting better & better. [biggrin]

Everyone's tastes are different, but if you enjoy a good IPA/APA, I would strongly recommend you get hold of some Riwaka hops & use it in conjunction with your preferred IPA/APA malt mix. It's a winner!

The Riwaka hop has easily positioned itself as my favourite hop above all others given the type of beer I mainly like to drink. [cool]

After my recent disappointment with the BRY-97 failed brew, it's nice to have a win, & a BIG win at that! [happy]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

I'm glad to hear about your success! Thanks for some of the credit. I don't know about how similar your brew and the BIIPA is other than the oak chips. I have to say that I much prefer the real ale kit vs. the TC IPA. I can't comment on the hops as I've never heard of this variety before.

Keep up the good work![wink]

I'm headed back to the bush for another few week tour of work [pouty] so I'll be interested in how it's coming along in a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

The IPA I listed earlier in this thread (HERE) that I bottled over 3 weeks ago unfortunately is flat. Very little carbonation, if any. [crying]

The flavour is awesome, & I'm wrapped from that perspective, but am wondering why & how the carbonation has failed in the bottle. This is a situation I've not experienced before.

All I can think of that seems to make sense is that I may have under-pitched enough yeast to ferment the beer & then carbonate it. Seldom do I brew beers over 1.050 OG, so have I asked too much from the US-05 by asking it to complete the job with a SG of 1.055? [unsure]

All thoughts & methods of effectively carbonating the already bottled beer from here are welcomed.

Cheers,

Anthony.

The yeast should have been able to get through both primary and secondary fermentation.

How did you prime? Bulk prime or individually in each bottle?

Were the caps sealed properly?

How many bottles have you tested?

Did it have a sweet taste like it contained unfermented sugar?

Thanks for the reply Hairy. Much appreciated. [happy]

The yeast should have been able to get through both primary and secondary fermentation.

How did you prime? Bulk prime or individually in each bottle?

Individually primed.

Were the caps sealed properly?

Yes, as per my normal routine.

How many bottles have you tested?

4 or 5 stubbies.

Did it have a sweet taste like it contained unfermented sugar?

As mentioned, the flavour is fantastic & barring the lack of carbonation it goes down a treat.

To me at least, it shows no signs of residual sugars remaining (Though I admit I wouldn't know an obvious level of this if I tasted it, having never had this problem before).

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived