Coopers Community

Bushy Park Amber Ale

Scottie

This one has just hit 12 weeks bottled and turned out quite nice.

Nice fall back recipe if you have a Coopers OS kit hanging about.

Coopers OS Lager

1.5kg Coopers Amber Malt Extract

250g Crysatl Malt (120EBC)

20g Topaz @ 5mins

20g Galaxy @ 5 mins

3 litre Boil

Wyeast 1275 pitched into 23 litres at 19'C and fermented at 18'C.

OG 1.048

FG 1.011

IBU 25.9

EBC 22.9

ABV 5.5% bottled

Hiya Ottoman. [happy]

...That was a problem I kept having that it was too sweet...

If I'm not mistaken, some of those ales (if not all) you used "that damn S-04 yeast [pinched]"? [lol]

I've only used it once, & copped a severe sweetness from the brew I used it in. For me personally, I would only look to use it in a very dark malted brew, where the malts & hops can dominate it's influence over the brew.

That's just my thoughts on my experience with the S-04 yeast though. [innocent]

Anthony.

I certainly don't like sweet, cut sugar from my diet a long time ago. Can't put it my coffee (latte or expresso) don't like Pepsi or Coke anymore, don't like alco pops or Moscato.

But I digress again, surprisingly this is not sweet. My worst brew so far was an Engllish Best Bitter, using a rinsed S04, it was either too sweet or too bland. Back when I tipped it [pinched] , I was saying it was too sweet. However surely sweetness has a lot to do with the final specific gravity. If so it doesn't make sense as that EB went 1.007 and this one has gone 1.011. The EB was 32 IBUs and didn't contain any spec grains or hops (don't know what I was thinking when I put that one down).

What determines sweetness [unsure] but I don't think it is the S04 based on the attentuation.

Two of them I did, the extract one wasn't as sweet as I added more hops to try to counter it. The other brew I used it in was my English Ale and going by early tastings that sweetness is reasonably balanced. The first one I made with the APA kit + amber malt I used the kit yeast and it was the worst one I made with regard to that sweetness. I just chucked an all grain version of my extract recipe into the FV yesterday, but I decided to ferment with US-05 this time, purely as an experiment to see what sort of difference it makes, but all in all I think the main culprit for sweetness like that is the amber/crystal malts rather than choice of yeast.

Lusty, S-04 isn't the cause of all your brewing woes [biggrin]

The sweetness would most likely be caused by your recipe formulation rather than S-04 (assuming it didn't conk out and not reach estimated FG).

It also depends on your perception of and tolerance to sweetness. One man's sweetness could be another man's perfectly bittered beer.

Lusty' date=' S-04 isn't the cause of all your brewing woes [biggrin']

The sweetness would most likely be caused by your recipe formulation rather than S-04 (assuming it didn't conk out and not reach estimated FG).

It also depends on your perception of and tolerance to sweetness. One man's sweetness could be another man's perfectly bittered beer.

+1

Lusty' date=' S-04 isn't the cause of all your brewing woes [biggrin']

I'm just taking the pi** out of the S-04 yeast like I've done numerous times before. [lol]

By the same token, what I stated above is the truth about my only experience using the yeast. [innocent]

Personally, I reckon you're right Hairy, the S-04 "conked out and did not reach estimated FG"! [lol]

Damn S-04 yeast! [pinched]

Anthony. [biggrin]

Archived