Coopers Community

Coopers APA & Cascade hop pellets - what is the best way?

dalet3

It's a personal preference' date=' some people throw them in loose, some use a bag, some wrap them in chux cloth. I think the only real issue with throwing them in loose is that people have reported the hop matter blocking up their bottlers. [/quote']

Damn it - I was about to post here as well, but you beat me again!!! [crying] .

Um... You did post here [unsure]

Yeah, good point, what I should have said was that I was about to post pretty much the same thing. Von Blotto is too quick on the draw for me!!! [roll]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dalet3.

For us to comment on why you felt there "is quite a bitter aftertaste...", we'd need to see your recipe list, how you brewed it, & more importantly, how much hops you added & at what intervals you added them into your brew to see where the unliked bitterness you speak of may have come from.

Anthony.

Ok thanks, this was how it was done.

Boiled 2 litres of water with 200g of raw sugar

Once boiling added 25g of cascade hope pellets & boiled for 10 mins.

Added coopers APA, brew enhancer & continued to boil.

Added mixture to fermentation tank & filled to 22 litres.

After 5 days added further 25g of hop pellets (dry hopped without bag)

2 days later another 10g of pellets added.

Botlled after 14 days (from day 1) in 355ml bottles using 2g of white sugar to condition bottles.

Hi Dalet3.

This is the area where your unwanted added bitterness has come from.

When you added in the APA kit tin & the brew enhancer, how much longer did you boil for? The volume of boiled water that you added the APA kit tin + the enhancer into is also a concern here.

Anthony.

Hi Dalet3.

When you added in the APA kit tin & the brew enhancer, how much longer did you boil for? The volume of boiled water that you added the APA kit tin + the enhancer into is also a concern here.

Anthony.

Hi Dalet3. You should change the t to a K - Dalek [lol]

To expand on Lusty's last post.... Because the APA can is already hopped, boiling it means you may increase the bitterness, just like if you were boiling the hop pellets. The APA doesn't really have any flavour/aroma hopping so I wouldn't expect it to be too bad. If it was an English Bitter or IPA then you would drive off the aroma hopping of the can.

We need to know the total time boiling with the cascade pellets in.

Also, bitterness will soften with age, so you may just need to give it more time to sort itself out for your pallet [happy]

so will any flavour... suck it up and drink it [biggrin], you can maybe blend it with another beer as you go? or.. Get hold of some Hop flowers and put into a jug? It wont actually lessen the bitterness but will lessen the 'perceived bitterness'

The isomerised AA's in the can will continue to gain bitterness with any further boiling. Think of it just like extending a boil from 60 to 90 mins.

The isomerised AA's in the can will continue to gain bitterness with any further boiling. Think of it just like extending a boil from 60 to 90 mins.

This statement, in isolation, is incorrect but I'm guessing you are referring to the recipe, which has 25g of Cascade hop pellets present in the boil, yeah?

• 2 weeks later...

Nasty bitterness has gone now & tastes great.

For my next brew was thinking Of using Coopers IPA Or Coopers sparkling ale, cascade hops & some other hops.

Anyone got any advice on this & what hops will compliment the cascade?

You are lucky with Cascade. I have found that cascade pretty much goes with everything and often makes the other hop better.

I love Galaxy but galaxy & cascade together is sensational [love]

Out of the more common hops you could use Amarillo, galaxy, Nelson Sauvin. The list is huge.

Archived