Coopers Community

Adam's Aussie Bush Wit

Hi gang

So, Coopers latest recipe of the month Lemonzest Weizen has inspired me to experiment with native ingredients.

So, first I am planning a beer I plan to call Aussie Bush Wit, and down the track will do a porter or dark ale with Wattleseeds (they have a mocha like flavour).

Extract version...

3kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt

200g flaked wheat (requires mini-mash)

200g flaked oats (requires mini-mash)

30g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh pelletes (4.6%AA) @ 60 mins

3 Lemon Myrtle Leaves @ 10mins (quantity to be determined by pre-brew day experimentation)

10g Mountain Pepper Leaf @ 10 mins (quantity to be determined by pre-brew day experimentation)

Yeast - Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier) or 3463 (Forbidden Fruit).

Approx. OG = 1.046

Approx. FG = 1.014

IBU = 14.1

ABV = approx. 4.4

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

So, I experimented with a bought Belgian Wit on the weekend. It was so bland [pouty]. This particular one also had licorice in it, according to the label, but I couldn't taste it.

So, I boiled some lemon myrtle and pepperleaf in a little water and then added a few spoonfuls of the water to the beer. The lemon myrtle taste goes really well. But the pepperleaf was undetectable, even though the water by itself gave a high burning sensation.

I also have pepperleaf berries, which i will try on the weekend in the last of the belgian's I bought.

Hiya AdamH.

I enjoy your posts if purely for the endeavour you show towards experimentation with new &/or odd ingredients. Much praise. [cool]

Hefeweizen with a licorice influence? Erghhhh... [sick]

I'm not sure if you are brewing with multiple fermenters or not, but I'd hate to think your are heading down this current path without an alternate brew.

I hope not anyways, because you can lose months of nice tasting/drinkable brews if you get it wrong.

I always wish you luck though. [happy]

Beer.

Sorry Adam I must have missed this post previously....

How did you mash your Flaked Wheat and Oats?

Are you aware both these are required to be mashed with Barley Malt for conversion?...

I see no other malt mentioned in your recipe which leads me to think you may have omitted this.

Maybe this is why it doesn't taste as it should.... [pinched]

Oh ok... I was thinking that the post was more than a month old he'd probably had it done and dusted by now...

Soooo that leads me now to advise if you were to go ahead with this recipe then the addition of some grain would be needed..... maybe 1kg Pale Malt which should do the trick.

Ello lads.

Yes, haven't made it yet, cos it's a fair bit different. I been away and made the little creatures clone in the meantime, plus I had to get the ingredients.

Was not aware of the having to mash them with the barley - that changes a few things, like whether or not I can do it with the hardware I have at the moment. I have a 5L cooler that I was planning to use for the mini-mash - would that be large enough?

Thanks for the input guys :)

p.s. Beer - why make boring beer you can get from the bottle shop? The dream is to one day have my own commercial brewery so need to have something different [kissing]

A 5 litre cooler will be fine. Mash the flaked wheat and oats with a kilo of ale malt at 65 degrees for 60 minutes. Empty the liquid (somehow) and add a few more litres for a spare.

If you do this then reduce the liquid wheat malt by 750g.

It should be good. It is a mini-mash so it doesn't matter if you don't hit all your numbers etc. Most of the fermentables with come from the liquid malt.

p.s. Beer - why make boring beer you can get from the bottle shop? The dream is to one day have my own commercial brewery so need to have something different

I can already see that you like to experiment in your brewing AdamH. I enjoy reading your posts if only to see what you are up to! [lol]

When you uncover something out of the ordinary that ticks all the boxes for you (& that is only a matter of time), you can bet your backside I'll be throwing down a brew of it! [wink]

Good on ya AdamH. [joyful]

Beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I am planning to put this on tomorrow. I got my yeast starter going last night, so as long as that's finished it will be all guns blazing.

This is currently what I am planning to do. I have plugged it into BeerSmith for the first time to if anything seems odd let me know.

1.00 kg Pale Malt

0.20 kg Wheat, Torrified

0.20 kg Oats, Flaked (using Rolled oats)

0.85 kg Wheat Dry Extract

1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract

30.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min = 17.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) made into 1.5L starter (using 150g dry wheat malt)

Mini mash with the grains in 3.65L of water at 70.6 C in my 5L insulated drink container.

BeerSmith says to sparge with 19.5L of water at 75.6 C?? I was planning to sparge but not with that much.

Made up to 23L

After 5 days steep in 1L boiled water

10.00 g Lemon Myrtle

10.00 g Mountain Pepperleaf (may use the berries instead, which will also add a bit of purple)

Add to fermenter

[biggrin]

Looks good Adam. Is this your first mini mash? You will be doing it for every brew after this.

Don't worry about Beersmith, it is trying to get you to do a full boil. Just sparge with a few litres and you will be fine.

Good luck mate!

Hi ho.

So, I may have had not so good an efficiency with my mash. No matter, my first and who was awesome their first time???

I ended up filling the FV to 21 litres and OG then was 1.050. Then added my 1.5 L yeast starter.

Here's a lovely pic of yeast at work on day 3.

536538_10151107198172397_1706136873_n.jpg

It looks pretty much the same today- actually the krausen may even be a bit higher.

A question...... this sort of beer is meant to be a bit cloudy, so should I cold crash? I thought maybe for a couple of days only, not a week. It is specialty yeast after all, so should be gentler on the stomach than "normal" yeast??

Cheers brew brothers.

p.s. I just saw that the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is 7.2% - 3 of them was not a good idea on a school night [pinched]

I don't know much about wheat beers, so I'm not going to comment on that side of it. But I'm interested in the photo with the thermometer, am I right in reading that as 22C? Or is it 21C because it's kind of in the middle? I just got one yesterday, and I've stuck it on the FV which is currently full of napisan, it's sitting about 25C (I'm guessing) at the moment, despite outside temps hitting 30+ this week. Admittedly it's not fermenting, but it's still a good deal cooler than the temp outside. I don't have a towel or anything around it either.

Hiya AdamH.

That's one serious brew, & that is one serious ferment going on there!

Good luck with it. [cool]

Edit: Otto if 3 numbers light up, it's the middle of the 3 that is the current temp. If 2 light up, the current temp is in the middle of the two. If it's a solid number only....yeah you guessed it... [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hiya AdamH.

That's one serious brew, & that is one serious ferment going on there!

Good luck with it. [cool]

Edit: Otto if 3 numbers light up, it's the middle of the 3 that is the current temp. If 2 light up, the current temp is in the middle of the two. If it's a solid number only....yeah you guessed it... [biggrin]

Anthony.

Close.... using your example indicates the brew is at 20C being the middle temp when in fact In AdamH's pic above I would read it as definately 22C but it is cooling.

That's what I was thinking too. Pretty good sitting at 24 when it's 30 outside though. My wet towel method should bring it down another 5 or 6 degrees too, at a guess. Admittedly, it's Napisan and obviously not fermenting and producing any heat of its own, but I can now be confident of keeping a reasonably low temp for fermentation, by using that method. I used it with success last summer, all my brews turned out well with no off flavours or anything.

PS. Sorry for hijacking your post Adam! [lol]

Archived