Coopers Community

Euro Lager

Hey everyone,

I've got this batch of Euro Lager to be bottled next weekend, just mixed up with a tin of Light LME and 200g Dex. However, next time I make it I wouldn't mind adding some extra hops or maybe some grains as well. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe Hallertau or Saaz hops, perhaps some CaraPils grains. Not sure about amounts though.

Cheers,

Kelsey

"My name is Otto, I love to get blotto"

You could use either hop but Hallertau would be good in the Euro. Just a smallish amount of flavour and/or aroma additions would do; you wouldn't want to over do it in a Euro lager.

And 200-250g Carapils would be perfect.

Keep the Saaz and make yourself a Czech pilsener with them.

[lol]

I just got a job with Brisbane Transport, driving buses. My friends have made the comparison because I'm a metalhead and have long black hair[devil]

Anyway, I think I'll give that a shot next time I make it, which will probably be on the weekend. I'm taking the opportunity to brew some lager while it's ideal temps for it. I tasted the current one when I took a gravity sample yesterday and I reckon it's gonna turn out pretty good. I haven't got the ingredients yet but I might just grab the Hallertau when I do. Hopefully they have some Carapils too.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hey Otto!

I had the same idea , I've currently got about 30 bottles sitting & waiting at the moment that contain my first partial mash recipe using a Coopers Euro kit.

Firstly I apologize if my methods seem a little guerilla but its only my 3rd brew, my first brew was a Coopers Euro kit but I wasn't happy with how i did it . Used too much water , wasn't patient enough , thought it needed a revisit & a little something else to pep it up. I did a Coopers English bitter next which turned out great .

I steeped 250g of Brewers Choice pre cracked carapils/lager grain in 6/7 ltrs of water til boiling ( just used a big chux fresh outta the packet with a cable tie round the top to hold the grain in , my muslin bags hadn't arrived in the mail yet ) then added 1/2 a pack (30g) of Brewer's Choice Simcoe fresh hop pellets & let it roll for another 20 min or so , then rinsed the chux with water , collecting the run off in the rest of the wort.

I had my fermenter prepped with 500g of LDM dissolved in 4 ltres of warm water & the Euro kit added later , then stirred . Added fresh wort to the fermenter & filled with water to the 21 ltre mark.

Sprinkled 1/2 the pack (7g?)of Lesaffre Saflager S-23 yeast but didn't stir as I heard Saflager is a bottom fermenter & needs to sink to the bottom to do its job . I was going to re-hydrate the yeast but scrapped the idea .

And so it sat in the fermenter for about 10 days before it stopped bubbling , I primed with a heaped teaspoon of LDM per bottle & its been in the bottles for a week now. This time round I'm going to give it alot more time in secondary fermentation.

Thats how I did it anyway , I'll post a thread maybe when its ready but that might be a while . Keen to hear what you do with yours .

Again, welcome to the forums BM

I steeped 250g of Brewers Choice pre cracked carapils/lager grain in 6/7 ltrs of water til boiling .....let it roll for another 20 min or so....

Don't boil your grains - you'll get tannins and other unwanted flavours out. Steep them at about 70 degrees or below, and not for excessive amounts of time.

And so it sat in the fermenter for about 10 days before it stopped bubbling ....

Airlock? If so, I will leave that answer for Muddy..

Also, there is no need to use 6-7 litres of water to steep 250g of grains. 1-2 litres is sufficient and will save you having to cool large quantities of wort.

What temperature did you ferment it at? S-23 is a true lager yeast.

And welcome to the forum and the world of brewing!

Yes I will have to post what I do.. more than likely will be doing it on Friday, finish my current job on Thursday and start in the buses on Monday so will have Friday free.

At this point I'm thinking of going with 250g Carapils if I can get it at my LHBS, and perhaps 15-20g Hallertau boiled for 10 or 15 mins. That going with the Euro Lager kit + either a tin of light LME or some LDM, depending on what's in stock.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Cheers Mohican!

So I'll probably do this later today, or any other day really, I'm on early shift this week for licence training so will have the whole afternoon available.

I couldn't get Carapils or Hallertau at my LHBS, so just for something different I went with dark crystal and Saaz hops. I have no idea how this is gonna turn out but experimentation is what it's all about. At worst I'll have average beer that I'll drink anyway, so it's no biggie to me.

1.7kg Euro Lager kit

1kg LDM

200-250g dark crystal

20g Saaz @ 15 mins

22 L

I like to live on the edge [tongue] [lol] It is a bit interesting/different but only one way to find out how it will end up! Anyway I went to the brew shop after work today and they had some Hallertau this time but still no Carapils. So will go back to the original idea of Hallertau as the extra hops. I think I'll brew this one tomorrow afternoon.

I put this one on last Wednesday, final recipe was

1.7kg Euro Lager tin,

1kg Light Dry Malt,

250g Dark Crystal,

20g Hallertau @ 15 mins.

Kit yeast,

22 litres.

OG 1044

I did pitch the yeast way too high, it was somewhere around 30C, but it came down to about 13-14 in around 12 hours and has sat at that or a degree cooler ever since, and is going along nicely. I haven't really had anywhere to chill the boil pot prior to this, the kitchen sink is too small and the laundry tubs leaked. We have had those replaced with nice big shiny stainless steel ones which don't leak and are perfectly big enough to fit the pot so will be using a couple of frozen soft drink bottles and water to chill it in future.

It probably seems a bit odd to use dark crystal in a European lager but anyway.. I like to experiment with weird/different things at times. [lol] Looking forward to trying the finished product. [joyful]

Cheers,

Kelsey.

Archived