Coopers Community

James Squire 150 Lashes Pale Ale Clone

RyanP4

First post on this site, been highly recommend by a fellow brewer.

I'm chasing a James Squire Pale Ale(the rebranded now as 150 Lashes) recipe or as close to.

Fairly new to brewing, this will be my 4th if I can wrangle a recipe.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Ive just tried a clone of the 150 lashes. I got some inspiration from a youtube clip of the James Squire chief brewer talking about the brew.

I didnt strictly follow the hops, I ditched the willamete and used cascade instead.

I then did the following

Coopers Pale Ale can

1kg Dry Wheat Malt

1 kg BE1

5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 10 mins

5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 5 mins

strained this.

Seperately did 15g Amarillo 15g Nelson 15g Cascade @ 1 min steep for 30 mins. No straining - added all to wort.

used Danstar Nottingham ale yeast @ 24 degrees. OG 1.052 FG 1.013 on Day 6 but left until day 15.

Bottled and stored for 4 weeks.

IMO its pretty dam close to the 150 lashes.

enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

I have become a 50 lashes fan of late, caused by having a schooner after the gym (you have to walk past the bar at the club where the gym is) If you 150 is close then I will be pleased.

Have not been around lately. been visiting Siberia.[crying] [crying]

Muddy's Pet

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried one of these a few hours ago very nice indeed. Before even getting on here to see if anyone had wrote about it could defenitly taste the Amarillo.

I cant indulge in anymore until tomorrow morning when get home from night shift [pinched] oh well my last one for week. Ill defenatly be trying to clone this some time soon but what yeast to use [unsure] im sure either way will come out fine.

TimA3 although im sure your brew did come out close your alcohol percentage is way over the real thing i might try myself with 50/50 wheat and light malt extract maby 350 grams of each as arent much of a wheat fan and cant see that much being used in real thing although its hard to tell with Amarillo hops coming through. Cheers for ideas all enjoy your beer while i work. [happy]

Sir jimmi. My alcohol is 5.1%, not that far off the original. Check the YouTube vid of he head brewer and he might convince you to stay with the wheat malt. If I was to change anything I'd drop the be1, but I like the body of my brew so I won't be changing, it all personal taste though. That's why we brew!

My yeast preference was the us-05 but had to go with the nott. Will uSe the us-05 but don't see it making a big difference.

I'm interested to see how yours tastes jimmi - keep us update.

RyanP4 - how's yours going?

With those readings i get 5.22% before adding the 0.3 or some say 0.5% for priming sugar what formula do you use? But netherless its just my opinion and as i said i am yet to attempt a clone but if i was id try to keep the alcohol as close to the real thing as i could.

I use the brew-majig iPad app. I'm not convinced about the increase from priming sugar. There is no change in fg of any brew I've done after secondary fermentation. I'm far from an expert but if the fg doesn't change I can't see how the alcohol % increases.

I go for body and flavor when cloning, if it's a bit stronger or bit weaker so be it, as long as it tingles the taste buds [biggrin]

Yeah i see what your saying i was thinking when i drank my first couple out of glass it was low in body but still had plenty of flavour a big bonus. Most of the time once know the basic ingredients can get close but just the small differences like being bottle conditioned instead of bulk or what yeast is used can be all that stands in the way. Mostly the yeast is whats kept secret the longest i have been thinking about trying the Danstar Nottinham some time was that just a hunch or had info they use that?

after secondary fermentation. I'm far from an expert but if the fg doesn't change I can't see how the alcohol % increases.

There's your answer right there - fermentation. The FG probably wouldn't change because whatever sugar added is fermented out anyway into alcohol and carbon dioxide - just like primary fermentation. [rightful]

Cheers,

Kelsey

RyanP4 - how's yours going?

I bottled this one on saturday, was in the fermenter for 3 weeks, crash chilled for the last week of that, I transferred to a secondary and used 200g of extra malt as priming sugar, bottled it, but when I tried it straight from the tap before carbonation, it had a SHOCKING aftertaste. Body and head of the beer was fantastic, but about a second after swallowing, the aftertaste tasted how metho smells. Sick of WA and it's high temperatures. Bring on winter so I can brew properly.

Am I right in assuming that the wort being 25-26 degrees has made that aftertaste?

Cheers.

I still bottled it anyway... I love all my children, some more than others [biggrin]

25-26degrees shouldn't too much of a prob. I did mine @ 24 in tmp controlled fridge. I had an initial bitter aftertaste, which went after secondary fermentation. I wouldn't call it disgusting though.

Am I right in assuming that the wort being 25-26 degrees has made that aftertaste?

Even though brewing at 26 degrees isn't the best for your beer, it shouldn't make your beer taste like metho.

Would you call it a 'hot alcohol' flavour? This is sometimes caused when brewing at high temps and fusel alcohol is produced. But I wouldn't think you would get a huge amount of that at 26 degrees.

Also, how did you crash chill for a week without a fridge? If I was prioritising between maintaining lower temps in the first week and crash chilling at the end; I would direct my efforts to the first week of fermentation.

Anyway, your beer may improve with some time in the bottle.

We have a beer fridge for keeping regular beer chilly, it has a big enough spot for a fermenter to sit in the bottom, so I put it in there and crash chill down to about 2-4 degrees.

Hmm, hard to describe the flavour, it's almost like it's so bitter it tastes bad. I followed the recipe though. Bah!

Tried Tim's recipe.

1kg Dry Wheat Malt

1 kg BE1

5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 10 mins

5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 5 mins

strained this.

15g Amarillo 15g Nelson 15g Cascade @ 1 min

steep for 30 mins. No straining - added all to wort.

Been 14 days in the FV- just put it in the secondary for another 10 days, at the moment it taste pretty good. Thank Tim.

Warren

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Tried this myself except i used deliverance ingredients from my local home brew shop in Perth. The pale ale malt tin wasn't unhopped and for my second time doing a brew at home (been going to a micro brewery for about 3 years) i was very happy nice fruity flavours and hop aroma and a good hop bitterness to even out the flavour. Thank you

Archived