Coopers Community

Anyone bother printing lables for their home brew?

Sunny Coast Brewer

I've done a few. Tel me what you think...

This brew was a Canadian Blonde (i.e. the moose) and I bottled it just afetr the Swans won the GF (i.e. red & white)

beerlable-redwhitemoosesmall.jpg

I did a batch of the Buxom Blonde recipe from the brochure sent out to us & decided to do a lable for it too..

beerlable-buxomblondefinalsmall.jpg

This was a Dark Ale with cinnamon added to it. I thought hard about the name, but decided on Original Cinn...

BeerLable-OriginalCinnfinalsmall.jpg

This is my latest brew. A straight lager with nothing added. That's how it got it's lazy tag...

beerlable-lazylagerfinalsmall.jpg

I'd be interested to see some of the lables you guys have done!

Hi Sunny Coast Brewer,

Geez I hope the yank Simpsons cartoon syndicate doesnt have a go at ya!

Top artwork.

Coopers had a dig around a year or two ago for a simple label printing program that they could distribute on the Coopers site for home brewers.

I imagine it was all too hard and was dropped.

But - its still a great idea. How about it, Coopers?

The draft label making application was sent back (prior to upload) to our computer geeks for a rework...we thought it was too basic and clunky compared to other commercial applications available on-line. They are still working on it.

It's really quite easy to print lables. I have a photo editing program on my computer called Microsoft Picture It (it came with the PC so it's nothing too special). I grab a picture of the net somewhere, like i did with homer, and then crop it down, add some personalised touches (like text, etc) and then print it out using Microsoft Word.

I buy the sticker sheets for 55c from the local stationery supplies shop. They are a sheet of 12 stickers (3 across, 4 down) on A4 size paper. I measured each individual sticker to get 70mm x 68mm and I just create the lable slightly smaller than that to allow for movement of the paper, etc.

The company that makes the stickers I buy have a website that you can download a template from. I found the template was more difficult to use than the way I did it already, so I didn't bother with it. The template would be good if you just wanted a text-based lable.

I find it adds a touch of personality to the brews I make and it's a conversation piece when I take the bottles over to a mate's place. The inititial novelty of printing the lables has worn off and, although I still create the lables for each different beer, I don't always print them.

Maybe if I'm taking some beers over to a mate's place or we're having a party I might do a batch of lables, but I thought it was a waste of resources printing the lables for a beer I'm drinking by myself and then leaving on the sink.

I like to put a bit of thought into the naming of each brew. I combine details from the style of the brew and the time of the brewing/bottling and if anything special happened around that time.

We've just had out first baby, a boy named Dean, so I'm thinking of a worthy brew to put down in honour of the little fellow. I'll put a bit of extra effort into the lable for that one.

Sunny Coast Brewer, congratulations on the birth of your son!

I reckon your labels are top shelf, really original and a neat idea. I've never done them because I brew too much and I'd spend more time in label production than perfecting my beers. As you've found, I drink most of em, and they sit on the sink afterwards and other than SWMBO and our german housemate, nobody will see them. I just have a roll of white spots, and put a spot on each cap, and write on that with pen so I have the vital stats on the brew.

When I get my keg setup happening though, I might do it (one label slapped onto a keg is piss easy to do).

:)

K

ps, original cinn - that's classic! :lol:

It's my old Dad's 75th birthday in May and yesterday I made him a batch of Cooper's Ginger Beer. He's not a drinker (Freud would suggest that's why I'm an alcoholic! :lol: ), so I've made the non-alcoholic version.

I will do a lable up for his bottles and I was thinking of using either Ginger Rogers, Ginger Meggs or Ginger from Gilligan's Island as a theme for the lable.

I have sourced some photos of the said three and now it's just a matter of coming up with a catchy name for them and picking the best one.

Any ideas?

I was thinking originally of calling it "No Fred Beer" but I think that might be a little too cryptic (i.e. no Fred Astair, only GINGER Rogers).

Sunny Coast Brewer, congratulations on the birth of your son!

I reckon your labels are top shelf, really original and a neat idea. I've never done them because I brew too much and I'd spend more time in label production than perfecting my beers. As you've found, I drink most of em, and they sit on the sink afterwards and other than SWMBO and our german housemate, nobody will see them. I just have a roll of white spots, and put a spot on each cap, and write on that with pen so I have the vital stats on the brew.

When I get my keg setup happening though, I might do it (one label slapped onto a keg is piss easy to do).

:)

K

ps, original cinn - that's classic! :lol:

Wot 'E said :roll:

I'm even lazier (or too busy brewing :wink:

All I do is write a number (with idelible ink) on the cap :)

Nice labels guys, but whatever you do don't use inkjet printable addressing labels like the ones you can get at Officeworks. I had to soak my bottles in water for a week to get the darn things off and even now there are some small traces of sticky stuff stuck to the bottle.

I'm now too busy/lazy to create label masterpieces for my brews. A small white dot sticker stuck to the lid with an abbreviation of what's inside scribbled on top seems to do me fine.

Southcoast,

The following may have too many words but it may be a bit of starting point.

Using the Ginger Rogers theme.

"Bubbly, Refreshing with a Great Body"

"Ginger" who? - Oh! "Ginger" Beer by Coopers"

Cheers

Peter

I bought a pack of Avery labels from Officeworks well over a year ago, 33 labels to a sheet. MS Word has built in templates for most Avery labels and, for the ones that don't, new dimensions are easy to add. I just print the beer name, date of bottling and alcohol content on each label, new labels go right over old ones and after five or so the glue on the first one fails and they all peel off.

It's my old Dad's 75th birthday in May and yesterday I made him a batch of Cooper's Ginger Beer. He's not a drinker (Freud would suggest that's why I'm an alcoholic! :lol: ), so I've made the non-alcoholic version.

I will do a lable up for his bottles and I was thinking of using either Ginger Rogers, Ginger Meggs or Ginger from Gilligan's Island as a theme for the lable.

I have sourced some photos of the said three and now it's just a matter of coming up with a catchy name for them and picking the best one.

Any ideas?

I was thinking originally of calling it "No Fred Beer" but I think that might be a little too cryptic (i.e. no Fred Astair, only GINGER Rogers).

I went with the Ginger Meggs theme. Couldn't decide on a fance name, so I put a bit more effort into the picture...

beerlable-gingerbeerfinal450.jpg

I altered the original photo to suit...

meggs-promocapa11.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've recently started brewing using the PET bottles, and I played around with different label types.

What I found was best was to use coloured paper in a photocopier and then stick the paper on to the bottles using a good quality glue stick.

That way the ink doesn't run, as it can with ink jet printing, and the labels come off easily with a little bit of water.

I don't think that you could get those adhesive labels off a PET bottle in a month of Sundays.

Archived