Coopers Community

My recepie is in the mail

Well just took a reading it was at 1021 after 9 days in the FV OG was 1060. I susspect it would read lower but the hops i used to dry hop in a grain bag the top came open and so some hop floaties are in the making the reading slightly higher.

My plan is to get it at about stable 18 degrees tomorrow then move onto my chest freezer and let sit for half an hour and try again once the floaties settle. Hopefully this will be more accurate but i think it will be ready to be bottled by tuesday i suspect now it is finished hopefully a more accurate result tomorrow and tuesday will confirm.

The smell and taste from the reading tube was beautiful nice and hoppy also enough malt taste. Cant wait for this one i have a 1.5 litre grolsh bottle to fill as my sample me and a mate will try at about 4-6 weeks. [biggrin] verry happy to have tried it thanks to all for advice. [cool]

Sorry mate but that doesn't make any sense. Your hops won't contribute anything to your hydrometer reading. The Hydrometer measures the sugar content in liquids. Hops don't have sugars so hops are not going to affect the reading.

The Hydrometer measures the sugar content in liquids.

The hydrometer measures specific gravity which is relative density, ie the density of a liquid compared to water. Solids in suspension increase density. Brewers use SG to determine sugar content, however other industries use it to determine mineral sand, acid or hydrocarbon content. If Sir Jimmius has a lot of hop matter in suspension it will certainly drive up the reading.

Thank you Nelson as you said about those other forms of testing using similar method i know someone in canberra who does work with soil that way. Im not sure how much it was affected ill find out today after i give it a good rest. The problem with my water tub set up on the ground is lifting it onto the chest freezer and letting it settle enough before testing ill be leaving it longer today. Im purchasing a hop bag with zip top save the floaties getting out in future.[biggrin]

[love] Thanks muddy only asian takeaway around here but will look into it the missus reckons she can get me a zip seal mesh bag small enough for dry hopping ill see how she goes getting it. I love hops but not the floaties ill steralise a strainer for this and remove most prior to bottoling they have already done there job well enough i think from taste.

I've started using ladies nylon stockings. And I also use them for dry hopping [biggrin]

I buy cheap stockings, boil them for a while, add hops and then dry hop.

Then I throw them out when done. I hated trying to clean the mesh bag.

Just another option for you.

LOL thanks Hairy i might give that a go actually never thought of stockings might give the chux a crack too. After my grain was steeped and finished with bag i put in washing machine with a load of towles came out nice and clean and before dry hopping soaked bag in 4 litres of water with NRS in it for 10 minutes then removed and chucked in hops. Bloody top came open hense all the floaties so now ill try one of these options. Thanks all good luck with the dress ups Hairy [cool]

Well all bottled today got 25 glass longnecks and a 500ml bottle from a barbie i had where this chick drank some sort of cider.

I might have to agree with bill about the hop floaties not changing the gravity i was dead sure of it as was so many. 2 stable readings the days following that also read 1021 with no hop matter in test.

So my beer is at 5.72% in the bottle and smells bloody awesome think i might find myself getting addicted to amarillo once ready to drink. [biggrin]

For my next brew i think ill use the EKG 30 gram dry hop using the stockings as hairy suggested i might even try them on first. [roll]

• 3 weeks later...

OMFG [happy] This would have to be the best brew i have ever done its only 18 days in the bottle and fanststic. Amarillo is my new fav hop. I ended up having 60 grams in there all together the scales were out now i know[innocent]

The Amarillo is giving me good flavours and the red tinge from crystal malt and head retention is perfect. I am so supprised how specialty grains and hops have worked magic. Im nearly getting a woody [rightful] Thanks for everyones advice and by the way bill i just purchaced 3 pack of chux to dry hop with for my next brew will decide tomorrow what ill make but thinking something simple with draught can 20 grams EKG and 200 GM Crystal Malt [biggrin]

It is so simple to make a vast improvement by the use of hops and a bit of grain. More people should actually do it imo. Unfortunately some feel intimidated where they should just bite the bullet and do it.

It sounds like you are converted now [ninja]

Yeah bill im definatly converted ive already convinced SWMBO that having a brew fridge will take up no more than the water tub and be cleaner as the kids cant chuck frozen chicken nuggets in the water [roll]

once can afford one that is. Then ill be looking at an allgrain set up cant wait for that just need to stockpile some more similar brews for winter before buy bigger pot and bulk grain etc.

Yeah i have the bug and cant get rid of it im forever thinkin of makin beer [love] and also im yet to try Galaxy i have heard so much of but for now im happy with Amarillo might have to try dry hopping with cascade have read good things.

• 1 month later...

well after 2 months in the bottle had a crack at it last night was bloody beautiful. Holds a nice creamy head and has cleared up considerably. Very nice flavour and aroma from Amarillo hops but maby next time i wont add 60 grams might limit it at 40.

The missus cousin came down from Sydney put his Carlton Draught longneck aside after he tasted my hoppy plae ale and only needed 2 scooners of that and was bed time lol.

I must say i have become a bit of a Hop Head myself love the late Addition or dry hopped flavour. At the moment im drinking a Hahn Harvest the limited release ale. I bought a 6 pack and i must say not a bad drop but for the 17 dollars i paid and it only being 4.2% and 330 ml overpriced IMO. I am happy to have tried but wish i had of spent the extra 3 dollars for a LCPA or Fat Yack.

What hops are in the Hahn harvest? I havent seen them but rarely venture into the bottle shop unless its one of those boutique places.

I love Stone and wood pacific ale, almost tropical hop profile, very nice draft or bottled its made in Byron if you can get hold of it.

Archived