Coopers Community

My recepie is in the mail

Hey all im waiting on a mail order to come from melbourne with some goodies i find hard to get locally.

1KG Joe White Maltcraft Crystal Grain

80 Grams Amarillo hop pellets

40 Grams EKG pellets

1 Grain bag

Not sure what the recepie will be yet as have to figure out how to do it with only a 10 litre pot. Any recomendations for either an american or english style ale? and what kit to use this will be a winter brew and my first time with grain.

This is off the top of my head. So you may want to run it by a spreadsheet and adjust the IBU to suit yourself.

2 cans Coopers LME or 2.6kg LDM

500g Dextrose

40g Amarillo @ 30 min

20g Amarillo @ 20 Min

20g Amarillo @ 10 min

300g Crystal (medium but whatever you have should be fine) steep 30 min @ 65C

Do a 6L boil for your hops

Keep the EKG for another brew.

Another choice would be the same as above but hops schedule as:

40g Amarillo @ 30 min

40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Thanks bill might give something similar to that a try maby not the whole 80 grams but like u said i can work out what sort of IBU i want. I was told i would be rang early monday before order was finalised so i might have to add a few packets of yeast. Obviously waking up from a night shift sleep during the day had my brain all out of wack but at least have the forum to fall back on [cool]

If you are going to use a prehopped can of something then you wont need to use as many hops and could take out the 30 min addition altogether. I would suggest either, Mex Cerv, Aust Pale Ale, Canadian Blonde or the OS Draught of you go down that route. They would all come up quite nice with the Amarillo.

You may also want to find out what Crystal that one is when you ring them.

I have almost a Kg of Amarillo sitting in the freezer waiting to be used. I love Amarillo [love] lol then again I have about 6kg hops in the freezer at the moment. I just cant get enough hops into me.

If you get a chance and have a coffee maker, make a cappuccino with a couple of Amarillo hop pellets in it. [love]

LOL i dont think i like hops quite that much bill to have it in coffee then again i might just try it. [biggrin] I am hoping to get my order by wednesday it was sent from melbourne today.

Then i can do my own Australian day brew With American hops [rightful] didnt really think about it very well but it will be my first time using an American hop on Australia day[crying]

Maby i will just have to do it wednesday pending the arrival of ingredients. [biggrin]

Well i am hoping my order gets here tomorrow i picked up 500 grams of light dry malt today and 1.5 KG of Morgans Amber Malt Extract that is 8 months past best before but got it for 5 bucks am thiking it wont make much difference.

My thoughts for what i will brew are.

1 can Coopers INT Australian Pale Ale

1.5KG Can Amber Malt Extract

500 grams DExtrose

300 grams crystal malt (30 min steep) in 4 litres water

20 grams Amarillo 15 min steep in the water after crystal malt removed and bought to boil.

Aiming to pitch the yeast US-05 at 20 Degrees

Ok if this is the recipe you are going to use then:

Crack the crystal and steep as you have said. Strain this and add about 1/4 can of the malt extract and top up to 4L with water.

Bring this to a boil and then add the Amarillo for 15 minutes and remove from heat. Dunk the whole pot in the sink full of cold water and ice if possible (I use ice bricks you buy for an eski).

When at around 20-22C place everything in the fermenter (disolve sugars) and top up to required volume then pitch your yeast.

Cheers

Thanks bill cant wait to give it a try but my mail order hasnt come yet which means now it will be friday with a public holiday tomorrow [crying] Oh well i was going to brew anyway while the missus and kids were out then i remembered the whole point i was waiting on it was because of trying Amarillo hops and crystal malt for the first time.

I really cant wait im stuck drinking 30 can blocks on special until my stockpile is enough that i get into a cycle where im not buying beer anymore.

Well finally got my mail about half an hour ago. I have to admit the crystal malt deosnt look very crystally at all it looks like big bird seed but hopefully will make my beer taste good.

Ill repost later after have put brew on have to wait for the hungover missus to wake up and look after kids bloody woman cant handle there drink.[roll]

hrrrmm BIAB in an Urn =

room needed is 2 foot x 2 foot square and time = 4.5 hours Most of this time is just waiting so you can do other house chores etc while waiting.

BIAB Stovetop.... no room needed (use of stove)

Time is a little more than above due to the extra stuffing about.

Go for it, I says [ninja]

yeah i think i might slowly get set up for all grain the only part that sort of went wrong today is that the amber malt extract was 8 months past best before and must have been stored in hot conditions came out very dark almost like a dark ale kit but could be worse.

I ended up slowly warming the crystal up for half hour in 4 litres of water then left for half hour when reached 68 degrees. when grain was removed added amber malt extract addidently put in whole thing then 25 grams amarillo for 5 min boil and 15 min soak with lid on after flame out. Strained into the FV and then added 8 litres cold water then mixed in APA can and 1kg BE1 topped up to 23 litres.

Just acceived 20 degrees about to take OG reading and pitch yeast. [biggrin]

[biggrin] Whoa OG was 1060 then again alot of malt i had a smell and taste out of Hydrometer way too malty i think might have to dry hop with 25 grams of EKG pellets to try and ballence it up a bit.

Just pitched yeast US-05 and sealed lid and put FV in its cool water tub. [rightful]

Well all is going well this morning nice Krausen has formed and just managed to get it stable on 18-20 degrees. Should be easy to maintain this temp weather is top of 28 today not so bad plenty of ice containers left.

I am a little worried about the amber malt being 8 months past Best Before and being blackish in colour has anyone ever done this before with past date product?

[biggrin] Whoa OG was 1060 then again alot of malt i had a smell and taste out of Hydrometer way too malty i think might have to dry hop with 25 grams of EKG pellets to try and ballence it up a bit.

Just pitched yeast US-05 and sealed lid and put FV in its cool water tub. [rightful]

Dry hopping won't balance a sweet beer. You would need to extract bitterness to balance it. Nevertheless, dry hops will improve the aroma and wouldn't hurt to use.

To balance a sweet beer you need to add bitterness which would mean boiling the hops for a period of time.

Thanks for that bill i wasnt aware that dry hopping wouldnt counter sweetness i though the flavour would. Now you have said i might just make a 2 litre hop tea with another 25 grams of Amarillo for say 10 min boil and strain in once Krausen dies down.

I figure keep all american hops in it and save EKG for an english ale might be on the cards next.

Hey all i am just wondering if it is still ok to dry hop when Krausen is still present. I pitched yeast last friday arvo Krausen started forming sunday arvo 5 days later still there. Would anyone just recomend putting them in before?

I have a hop bag was planning on using to dry hop tying sanitised spoon to bag as have read on here to let sink to bottom.

Thanks in advance

I was going to but have read they get stuck in tap when bottoling and i have seen the posts where you tease bill for using chux but whatever works works[biggrin]

Although i am a bit anoyed its now sitting on top of brew the 1 table spoon wasnt enough to way down bag[devil]

You dont need anything to weigh down the bag and I suggest to do it with a bag and another without then you can make your own mind up [pinched] Considering you used a bag this time then next time just chuck them in commando style. Then decide for yourself. I use a bag because my brew goes straight into the keg after primary. The bag stops debris clogging the poppets and dip tube.

If using a bag then you need to tie it very loose so they have plenty of room to expand and move a bit.

Yeah i think i will keep using the bag and yeah its a 12 by 9 inch bag tied loosly plenty of room. The one and only time i had a blockage was very bad stirred up bottom of Fv while moving from one room to another.The left over hops from boil stirred up obviously didnt wait long enought to settle had about 20 blocks at tap. Then cracked the shits sanatised a strainer and dug the hop remains from brew before continuing so i think the safest thing is to just use bag. Even hops i put into boil now get strained into FV.

I cant wait to try this brew first time with Amarillo but going by the ingredients it might need at least 6 months in bottle before ready. Ill taste a longneck every month until good.

I should say i used 20 grams to dry hop.

Ah so you dry hop at begining of brew i might have to give it a try also see how this one turns out. later this arvo might take a reading Day 8 in FV still seems to be active Krausen still there. Or maby its malt resedue not sure seems fine. Have maintained it mostly on 18 to 20 degrees ocassionly snuck up to 22 hot day today gunna use all my ice bricks i think by end day.

Archived