Coopers Community

IPA with Hallertau hops

Sven

G'day all,

Bastardised version of Paul's Motueka IPA.

1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

50g Motueka Hops

Made to 21 litres

IPA kit yeast

I'm brewing in the shed with a heat mat covered by a good (old) sleeping bag and blanket. Normally I only brew lagers in the cooler months.

What temperature is the best for fermentation? I'd assume 18 to 22 degrees.

When should the Hallertau hops be added? I was thinking 3 days into the ferment but have been told not to add until a day before the end of the ferment.

Steve

Steve,

I have just bottled this recipe.

I used 40g Pacific Hallertau hop flowers & added them in a chux cloth on day 4. I don't think the hops would impart much flavour or aroma if you added it about a day before ferment has finished unless you were planning to leave it in the FV for a while after to let the yeast clean up after itself.

Brew was in the fermenter for 12 days.

I brewed mine at 19 degrees.

The sample tasted great when I was bottling [biggrin] possibly my best brew yet.

Hope this helps.

Greg.

True that, Greg. It is your suggestion from my Suggestions Please post that I went with first. Merci!

Can you throw the hops in as is? I rack to a secondary fermenter anyhoo. Or do I need to have it in a cloth?

I don't rack to a secondary fermenter so I use them in a chux cloth.

You may need advice from one of the brewers with more experience than me about what hops do in fermenters when they are chucked in loose.

Sorry.

To avoid the chance of the odd bit of hop debris suspended in the beer, use some form of bag to hold the hops - I use a chux style cloth.

During sedimentation, yeast will attach to the hop debris to help draw it out of suspension. How completely, this happens, depends on the flocculation capacity of the yeast.

Thanks Paul.

As an update, I tried wrapping the fermenter with an old low temp. rated sleeping bag and a blanket and a heat pad under that but it went out to 27 degrees overnight. Got the krausen going though!

I've turned off the pad and left the sleeping bag and blanket wrapped around. Will see how that goes.

I've turned off the pad and left the sleeping bag and blanket wrapped around. Will see how that goes.

Well 7 hours after turning off the pad the brew is still 27-28 degrees. The sleeping bag is working TOO well so it has been packed away. The purple blanket is going it alone.

That eBay temp controller can't come quick enough. As you can see I'm struggling to maintain a nice even temp with this s****y weather.

Gone from sleeping bak & blanket & pad (too warm), to just the sleeping bag (still too warm), to just a blanket (too cold).

Have I stuffed my brew up? I've put the heat pad under the fermenter just now with no insulation and I haven't thrown the hops in yet. Should have stuck to lagers/pilseners in winter!

DATE\t TIME \tDAYS\tSG \tALC\tTEMP

15-Aug-11\t5.30pm\t0.0\t 1044.000\t0.0\t23.0

16-Aug-11\t9.45am\t1.0\t 1038.000\t0.8\t27.7

17-Aug-11\t10am\t2.0 \t1013.000\t4.0\t22.3

18-Aug-11\t2pm \t3.0 \t1013.000\t4.0\t14.3

By the way, I'm only testing 100mL in a measuring cylinder so I'm not wasting buckets of beer.

You've had some big fluctuations there. From 27 degrees to 14 degrees. It looks like it is almost finished but your yeast may have nodded off to sleep at 14 degrees. You may want to raise the temp again to finish it off.

There is only one way to see what impact this has had on your beer and that is to bottle/keg it and taste it.

It could be fine or it may have some unexpected flavours. It will probably be drinkable anyway.

Archived