Coopers Community

Toucan Stout

Raider

Hi Guys,

I was going to do the Toucan Stout that I have seen recommended on here a few times (original stout + dark ale + 1kg dextrose) but I accidently bought the irish stout instead of the original stout, do you think this would still work or would I be better off just using these two cans separately?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks guys, I will do that.

Just another quick question, I attempted to re-culture some coopers yeast on Friday night but as of this morning nothing seems to be happening. I used the yeast from 6 CPA's and added 600mls of water and 4 tablespoons of dex into a 1.25L softdrink bottle with a stopper and my airlock. I live in Sydney and it has been around 20 degrees during the day but obviously colder at night so I am bit worried that it might be too cold for it to work.

Would you expect something to have happened by now and if so should I just tip mine out and wait for the weather to get a bit warmer and try it again then?

Well my yeast seemed to come to life after 4 days and I pitched it into a Pale Ale on Monday night but as of this morning there is no krausen or any other signs of activity.

Would it be best to sprinkle in the kit yeast if there is still nothing happening by tonight?

First, take a hydrometer test just to prove nothing is happening.

It may just be there are no visible signs but it is fermenting.

If fermentation hasn't started you may need to pitch some more yeast. It should have kicked in after 4 days.

Well we are bubbling away nicely now and there is some nice frothy stuff happening.

Looking forward to trying my first brew with the re-cultured coopers yeast. Was so easy to do, I can't see myself using the dry yeast again, plus it is a good excuse to buy another case of coopers! [biggrin]

Thanks for all of the advice guys, much appreciated!

Archived