Coopers Community

Steam Beer

anthony m1

Hello All

I'm putting together everything to knock up the Steam Beer recipe that is in the How to Brew section. My temps at home are just about perfect for this yeast atm. Just wanted to know from anyone that has made this one how it turned out and what their thoughts were on the style?

Regards

Anthony

Thanks fellas

I guess know one here has made it. I'm waiting on the yeast to arrive. As soon as I get it I'll make it. And let you know how it goes.

I've also had the Mountain Goat Steam Ale. And wasn't too impressed. Grabbed it as Anchor is pretty hard to come by. I've since found out the goat is not really true to style, actually quite the opposite. Its brewed with an ale yeast at cooler temps. Where a true steam beer is made with a lager yeast at ale temps. It was also lighter and more Kolsch like than I expected.

So Warren don't let the one you had turn you off the style.

Cheers

Anthony

After making this recipe a couple of time at home and bringing some bottles into work for tasting panel, which were well received - I figured the recipe was good enough to include in a newsletter and on the Recipe Resource [biggrin]

Have to amend my judgment of \u201cSteam Ale\u201d. I was judging it on the mountain goat stuff. Had one in a pub in manly and I must admit it was far superiour to the mountain goat. See my post on Whipper Snipper Mk2 it is close to the one I had in Manly.

Cant find the recipe for Steam Ale in the How to brew section.

Weggl

• 2 months later...
Paul don't bother' date=' it aint worth the effort. Chad I think if they were to go before a panel the Rats might just scrape home.[pinched']

Agreed, had one once at A Bar Called Barry in Collingwood, was so poor I switched to Carlton. A very strange and unpleasant beer.

I'm relieved to find that it's not true to the Steam style.

I agree Damien. I was glad the Mountain Goat Steam Ale wasn't true to the style and so I am still keen to try a Steam Beer.

I don't like bagging out other people's beer too much (ie. those in glass houses etc) but I thought the Mountain Goat Steam Ale was pretty average.

I still drank it though; I didn't want to waste my money[biggrin]

I let them off easy because some of their other beers are very nice.

The Hightail Ale is a good drop.

It seems you have finally found the recipe section in the "How to Brew" link. Congratulations.[biggrin]

Had a Mountain Goat Steam Ale in a joint in Manly called Whitewater,I think. It was named well because it tasted like Goat's piss.

Warren

I wish I took note of all your mumblings a little earlier as I had the same experience. I could't finish it, it was that bad. I thought it tasted like it was light struken tho. Which I put down to how the beer was stored (under UV lights at the front of the glass windows at the shop).

Archived