Coopers Community

chocolate stout

benken25

I would just like to share a recipe i brewed around 8 months ago i cant think of where i found the recipe and i forgot all about it until last night it is one of the best stouts i have brewed with great flavor im sure it will all be gone by winters end[cool]

1 can of coopers original series stout

1 box brew inhancer 2

300g chocolate topping (i used cottees)

I had a mate mention using Cottee's Chocolate topping in a stout brew. Glad to see you used it and it worked. Nice to have a recipe to follow. Might make this one a bit further into Autumn.

Was it ready around the 2 week mark or did it take longer? (I only use bottles, disregard this if you kegged it.)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome looks like I'm going to give that one a go then. Thanks Benken.

I'm interested in the one Bill posted up but I don't know what the dry malt additive is. Can you help us out there Bill? Is it just like dry malt extract only different terminology or is it different altogether?

EDIT: My googling tells me it may be Maltodextrin????

As I thought, 30% fermentable? So a higher ratio of dextrine than in most "blends", equating to a beer with more "mouthfeel" and a higher FG than BE2 would produce.

A stout with body is what I am formulating now with assistance from many on here, adding rolled oats myself.

Email them explaining you are formulating a recipe based on theirs and would like to enquire as to the ratio in the blend...

Personally I reckon BE2 and 400-500 grams of Maltodextrin (powdered) would suffice. My two cents worth.

Too much maltodextrin can be detrimental to the mouthfeel of the brew. Stout recipes benefit from addtional malt. For me, anything above 400g is too much - it leaves a sort of slimy coating on my tongue. [sick]

Consider the addition of malt to increase body, mouthfeel and residual sweetness. Hopped malt extract (contents of another beer kit) will also help to balance the extra residual sweetness.

That's why I always have worms [unsure]

I hear beer kills worms so there is no chance you, or any of us, have them [biggrin]

I put down the chocolate stout as per this recipe:

Cooper's Stout LME

~ 300g or half a squeezable container of thick Cottee's Chocolate Topping (615g)

1 packet of BE2

Yeast from Cooper's Stout Tin.

9L of boiled water chilled in the fridge from night before as per Muddy's recommendation (couldn't fit anymore in with all the other stuff)

Put the yeast in luke warm water in a cup and put some glad wrap over it and set aside to get it living again.

Added about 2L of boiled water to the pot, poured in the Stout LME. Stirred briefly and then added the BE2. Gave that a good stir and then added another 1.5L of boiled water (was pretty thick). Squeezed in half the Cottee's Chocolate topping. Gave this a good stir.

Poured this into the fermenter. Filled up the fermenter with my chilled water from the fridge (9L). Then I topped up to 22L with tap water. Gave this a stir and it was still around the 28 degree celsius mark [annoyed]

I had pre boiled some water and made it into ice bricks ages ago so I decided to put these in. By the time I stirred 3 of these in the temp was down to 23 degrees but took about 10 mins. Hope there is no infection from air exposure...

Took a OG reading of about 1042 and it was around 25L full. Yikes!

Gave it a taste and it was good. Nice and sweet and chocolaty and then the bitterness of the stout came through.

Pitched the yeast straight from the cup.

Came down in the morning and it was bubbling away like crazy. (Yep couldn't bring myself to use the glad wrap on this one Muddy as I've seen lots of stout volcanoes and admittedly I freaked out. Also, I haven't dug my seal out of the lid yet.)

Don't know how this is going to come out. Guess I'll just wait and see. There is a first time for everything. Next time I'll try to get more cooled water in the fridge and leave more space in the fermenter to add ice if necessary.

Also, I've read on this forum that people have had disasters with ice. I hope I get away with this...

Anyone care to comment on the method and likely outcome?

So far so good, it's day 3 and no volcano. Still bubbling along nicely and smells great.

TrueBrew,

The thermometer sticker on the side has some lag. If you used 9L of chilled water I am sure it was really less then 28C and the thermometer hadnt caught up yet.

If I use 2 L of boiling water and then just the tap water it normally ends up around the 20C mark.

Although in all of this I am wanting to know how the chocolate stout will go because I would really like to make one, even if it is my introduction into grains etc.

Hmm Toucan stout seems like its going to have a bit of flavour added to it.

About to try the chocolate syrup trick. I\u2019m going to use Coopers Dark can, 500g DriedME, BE2 and 200g Chocolate syrup.

I have gone for 200g syrup instead of 300g because the Dark can is less bitter than the Stout, figured that 300 might make it a little too sweet. Any thoughts on this brew?

Have got my water bed heater working perfectly. Its inside an insulated container and is about 2in away from the fermenter.

The controller for the heater works on the air temp inside the container, cuts in at 19.5C cuts out at 23.5 C, the fermenter temp has been running at a constant 22.2C for 2 days now, so I guess its a success.

Warren

That's why I always have worms [unsure]

Get off the beer Muddy and try whisky.

A drunk goes to the doctor; the doctor says if you keep drinking it will kill you. He then proceeds to do a demonstration.

He gets 2 glasses, one with whisky and one with water, drops a worm in each glass. The one in water was wriggling around and the one in whisky was dead. The Dr says \u201c what does that tell you\u201d? The drunk replies, \u201c If ya drink whisky ya\u2019ll never have worms\u201d.

Archived