Coopers Community

Unreal Ale

Martyn

Muddy, have just set the recipe going you gave me with the cascade hop additions.

Hi Marty/Muddy. Could you please send me the link of that recipe. Just finished making up the Unreal Ale recipe as per the Coopers instruction. After putting everything together,before pitching the yeast, there was a lot of foam in my fermenter. I waited a few minutes, but it stayed the same. I then just pitch the yeast on top of the foam and gave it a very good stir. I hope this will do the trick. Anxiously waiting that fist "glup, glup""....

Lots of foam on a just mixed brew is a good thing!

Simply sprinkling the yeast onto the foam and fitting the lid would see the foam collapse soon enough.

Stirring dry yeast won't have helped but won't really hurt either - sprinkle dry and stir liquid.[wink]

You could rehydrate the yeast whilst making up the brew - sprinkle the yeast onto about 1/2 to 1 cup of tepid, boiled water, wait 15 to 30 mins then stir to make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the brew and stir - don't worry too much if there is still the odd clump of yeast in the slurry [biggrin]

Also, don't pay attention to the airlock

Thx PB. I have read some old threads about not worrying about the airlock, but it is difficult if you are new to homebrewing...lol But everything is bubbling away this morning.

Regarding re-hydrating yeast,I found this on a SA homebrew site. Would love to hear your expert comments on this:

"To rehydrate the yeast, open a commercial beer which is at room temperature (15\xb0C to 20\xb0C). Pour half of it out, and pour the yeast from the sachet into the bottle with the remaing half of the beer. (The purpose of using a commercial beer to rehydrate the yeast is that the beer will be sterile.) Put aside for about half an hour until you are ready to pitch it into the fermenter."

I've got some East Kent Goldings hops, do you think it will be an good idea to dry hop some for extra flavor?

Never heard of this method before... Alcohol is a toxin to yeast so I can't imagine that the yeast would appreciate being exposed to alcohol while rehydrating [pinched]

Chill the bottle of beer and drink the contents while the yeast is rehydrating in pre-boiled (sterile), tepid (mid to high twenties) water.[cool]

I've got my Unreal Ale in the FV as per recipe. Started brewing on Saturday morning. My OG was 1,044. Had very aggressive fermentation for the first two days, foam coming out of the airlock and all. I don't have a brew fridge yet, and my brew temp is between 20 -24C. I've got the following questions. I am out of town from next week Wednesday and don't want to bottle before that day, so will only be able to bottle the next Monday, meaning my brew will be in the FV for 16days. I do have a second fermenter which I use as a bottling bucket, do I rack the brew away from the yeast before I go on holiday or can I leave it in the primary FV till I am ready to bottle? I also have some EKG hop pellets and was thinking about dry hopping for added aroma? Can I do this in the primary FV like 5 days before I bottle or do I need to rack to secondary FV? And then when I'm ready to bottle, do I bulk prime into my 2nd FV, or do I have to rack again to a "bottling bucket" with primer added? Sorry if some or all of these questions are stupid, but this is only my 3rd brew and I really need this one to be as good as the first two![lol]

Ok I'll try and answer this after 8 beers and seeing Motley Crue and Kiss tonight...[lol]

I don't think you will have any problems leaving your brew in the FV for 16 days. Most of us on here leave our brews for at least 14 days before bottling anyway.

You can throw the hop pellets in anytime, throw them in now if you want. They will settle out into the trub - especially if you do it now and give them more time in the brew.

And finally, once you're back and ready to bottle simply make your priming solution up and then transfer the beer onto it in the "bottling bucket". But as always, make sure you have stable gravity readings over 2 or 3 days before doing this (You should have after 16 days but it's always a good idea to check anyway[cool]).

Thanx Otto. Only 8:50pm here' date=' so I've got some time to enjoy another APA. Dammmm!!!did not know that homebrew beer will taste this good!! Should have started years ago already!![bandit']

Hey Paul,

This HBing thing can be rather all-consuming. It can and does consume a lot of my time . It is probably best you were spending your life doing something else in the past.

Welcome to the new Habit/hobby.[devil]

My unreal ale have been in the FV for 8 days now. Gravity at 1,016. I only intend to bottle next week Monday, but would like to ad some Goldings to ge more hop aroma. Just not sure how much and when? This will be my first attempt at dry hopping, so maybe I will try 30g to start with. If I dry hop, can I then still use finings? Should I 1st dry hop and then add the finings or must it be the other way around? I really like a clear beer, so thats the reason for wanting to add finings.

Thanx Hairy..Just realised I've got one more problem. Long weekend here from this Thursday, so I will be leaving home on Wednesday afternoon and will only be back Sunday evening. Normally I pitch the finnings 48-72hours before bottling, but now I will have to pitch Wednesday and will only be able to bottle Sunday evening or Monday evening. Not that I think that will be a problem or what it your opinion?

Archived