Coopers Community

Unreal Ale

Martyn

Paul, Muddy, anyone?

Currently have the Unreal Ale recipe towards the end of fermentation. I took the OG of 1070 before adding the yeast (pitched at 24c) and have taken the 1st of the, hopefully, last readings before bottling and it was 1018. Giving me an approx ABV of 7.5%! Is this right for the recipe, seems pretty high? Have used real ale concentrate, 1kg BE#1, 500g LDM to 23litres. All were indate and the temp has never gone above 26c.

Would just like to know if I have anything to worry about.

Oh and it tastes ok too, big difference with using the LDM.

Cheers Martyn.

1070 is a false high reading. Perhaps the brew was not mixed homogenously or you didn't discard the first runnings out of the tap, which are higher in density?

A 1.7kg beer kit + 1kg of dry product in 23 litres gives an OG of around the 1036 - 1038 mark. Add another 500g of dry stuff and it should bump the OG up another .007 ish, to 1043 - 1045.

This brew should result in an alcohol content of around the 5.3%ABV mark.

Hi Martyn,

I calculate that your orginal gravity should be around 1044 and it should finish around the 1009 mark. Before you take a reading draw a little bit of liquid and discard it before getting your sample. Stuff can settle around the tap giving you a false reading.

EDIT: PB2 beat me to it so what he said.

Had my first taste of the Irish Ale (from the how to brew section) last night, very nice. Slight taste and after taste of golden syrup, good fizz and a nice clear copper colour. Can see the benefits and differences of fermenting at the low 20's

Paul have you ever come across an Irish beer/lager called 'Harp'? Haven't had it for many years but this recipe reminded me of it straight away, its a good clone, what do you think? Someone else did mention 'Harp' lager in an earlier post/topic somewhere but can find it.

On the recipe in the how to brew section it says 'an ale with characters like those found in the imported 440ml cans with widgets!' From my own experience of cans with widgets in, they were more the bitter types in England such as Worthingtons, Boddingtons, John Smiths, Kilkenny, Guinness, etc. I've never seen a lager/ale can that has a widget in it.

Which kind of ales with widgets in is the recipe referring to?

Just my own observations.

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Muddy, have just set the recipe going you gave me with the cascade hop additions. I accidentally/on purpose put in just over 500g of the dextrose instead of the 250g you suggested.

How alcoholic does that recipe come out with the 250g. Main reason I put more in was to bump the ABV up as am not a fan of mid strength beer.

What should the OG be? I got 1048-1050. I ran the first runnings out of the tap before taking the OG but I had added and stirred in the yeast seconds before.

Will this affect the OG much?

Also, why leave in the fermenter for 2 weeks? What does this add/do to the end product?

This is directed at anyone who might know but I'm looking at doing a Heineken-clone and wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Was going to use the Thomas Coopers Pilsner as a base though not sure which direction to go in with anything else. Paul has given me some varieties of hops to use with a Euro style lager. Any help/push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martyn.

Hi Martyn - The recipe I suggested should come out just over 5% so your would be around 5.6%.

I forget if you have temp control or not? I generally leave mine in the fermentor for about 2 weeks but this isn't necessary (It is probably done at around day 7). The extra week, in my opinion, helps impart the aromas from the late hopping and gives the yeast a bit more time to settle. It is a matter of preference really.

5.6%! Jeez, gonna be a tasty drop, fingers crossed. If it just had 1kg of LDM what would it come out at?

Not got temp control so at the mercy of the heavens at the minute, literally! Have got it sat on the freezer with a closed door behind it. I normally open the door to let the air from the nearby window cool it. Now the temp here has cooled down its more manageable, if I need to put some heat in to it I pushed it to the back, against the door and use the heat from the freezer motor. Seems to do a half decent job.

Will see how long the weather (and my current supplies of longies, Unreal Ale, last!) stays cool and if the brew is at a stable temp then will leave it in the fermenter as long as I dare. Cheers for the advice.

Remember that any calculator, such as the link Muddy posted, is a software application based on assumptions. For example, what is the Dextrose Equivalent(DE), assumed by this application, for dry corn syrup (maltodextrin)?

Often, homebrewers quote figures that have fallen out of a brewing software application as 'actual' when the beer has not been analysed at all!

Well, this is a tasty drop. Out of all the homebrews I've brewed and tasted this is by far the nicest of them. I have only tasted the lager, Canadian Blonde and Irish Ale though!

I'd like to add honey to this for my next brew as I think it would go quite well, any suggestions on which adjuncts I reduce in quantity to accommodate the honey? How much honey would I use? Aiming for about 5 to 5.5% abv. Any hop suggestions as well?

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

I have brewed the (trusty's) unreal ale, and it is, well - unreal! My brew was used with 1.5kg x "dark brew booster" from my LHBS which was made up of ingredients pretty closely resembling the recipe contained in the how to brew section except it contained dark malt X instead of LDM.

Go for it.

• 10 months later...

Tasted my first Unreal Ale today, bloody awful, has a bad case of Swine Flu infection. Will have to chuck the lot, well it saves buying another 30 bottles, \u201calways look on the bright side of life\u201d thanks to Monty Python, not Paul.

Well I guess one is allowed one infection! My first out of 30 brews. Guess I\u2019ll get a lecture from Muddy over this co*k up!

I cracked a bottle of my Unreal Ale last night. I reckon it is an ok drop. However I've decided that it needs some further late hop additions to provide more aroma.

Unfortunately the list of beers I want to try is growing faster than I can brew them.

• 1 year later...

Dredging up an old thread, but I made the Unreal Ale to recipe and I think it's my favourite drop I've made so far! Absolutely delicious.

Only 4 weeks in the bottle now and goes down very nicely. I didn't add any hops but it has a nice amount of bitterness and a pleasant aftertaste.

I love it.

• 1 month later...

So is there much of a difference between Unreal Ale and Real Malty Ale recipes?

I've done the unreal ale off the website,(except I'd used dextrose as opposed to BE1), and then noticed the real malty recipe while stirring a batch a few weeks ago. So I made a batch of Real malty ale which I'll bottle on Friday.

Archived