Coopers Community

Coopers Pale Ale

Coopers Pale Ale is arguably one of the world's finest. Having had a long relationship with this beer, and as a home brewer, it is only natural that I want to develop my own recipe that, whilst not matching CPA, brings me as much sensory pleasure in a style that is similar.

I posted this recipe somewhere else and is currently what I am drinking:

"Coopers Aussie Ale +

BE 2 +

250g pale malt powder +

Hallertau hop flowers (steeped and added when pitching).

Fermented at 18 - 20 deg C for 6 - 7 days ( I think this temp sees both the lager and ale yeast activited and produces less esters) "

I would like to see a cross section of recipes and techniques added to this post.

In particular, it would be great if anyone could add a recipe that they reckon has cracked it as a clone for CPA

hi catpaw,

my bro inlaw made the first coopers pale ale in the family when it first came out and it WAS BETTER THAN WHAT COOPERS MAKE!!

he used the coopers direction of CAN + BE2 , he fermented at about 24-26 degrees.

the yeasts in the homebrew kit is different from the commercial yeast.

paul said he got as close to the commercial yeast as he could using a dry yeast,,,,,,,which i guess means the commoercial is brewed using a liquid yeast.

pale ale is pale malt with a "smidge of wheat malt" (they are pauls words).

it has only the one hop, PRIDE OF RINGWOOD added early in boil as bittering hop.

the fruity ,bready or any other flavours that you get from commercial pale ale are a result of FERMENTATION/ YEAST FLAVOURS.

therefore ya might wanna ask paul about a liquid yeast strain close to the one they use???

dont want to sound like a know all mate, but ive hit paul up heaps of times n these are the answers ive got...... :lol: , ill stand to be corrected on em though,i dont have elephants memory!! :lol:

cheers

matt

p.s. i never could reach the hieghts of bro inlaws first batch.....was just an ace of a brew!!

:cry:

I want to keep "Recipe Resource" neat and tidy so people can easily find what they might be looking for.

So, we need to sort out this post's heading. Is it Coopers Pale Ale recipes that you want in here or Australian Pale Ale recipes?

Coopers Pale Ale is a beer while Australian Pale Ale is considered to be a style, encompassing Coopers Mild Ale and Coopers Sparkling Ale as well.

or

Did you just want this to be recipes using the International Series Australian Pale Ale HB kit?

hey Paul. Yeah, I get that. So, if I have to pick one recipe heading and a specific thread, why don't we make it Coopers Pale Ale.

I reckon the challenge for you then is to give us homies some insights into matching CPA, without giving away too many of the family secrets.

The commercial beer only uses PoR hops at the start of the boil - no aromatic hopping.

Try these two mixed to 23 litres:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

1kg Brew Enhancer 2

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

500g Light Dry Malt

250g Sugar

Try them both with the kit yeast then with the Coopers commercial ale yeast culture, fermented at 18C.

• 8 months later...

Gents,

New to the game and keen to learn,

I have just pitched another CPA following the alternative recipe suggested here (500g LDM and 250g Dex).

Can you advise what the general result should be compared with the standard BE2 recipe? The first brew i undertook just before Chrissy follwed the standard and i was really happy with the result. Have now ventured to try the alternative and was wondering how they will compare,

Many thanks for anyones thoughts?

Tim

Paul and gents,

I ended up mixing a CPA on Sunday lunchtime following the 1.7 kg CPA, 500g LDME and 250gm Dex recipe as described. The enclosed yeast was pitched at about 26deg which is a little on the high side. Sunday was 35 deg here in sydney and even with three trays of ice couldn't bring the temp down lower and wanted to pitch the yeast ASAP as suggested in the directions.

I have been trying to lower the temp of the vessle for the past 24 hours in a larger container with bottles of frozen water. Have since been able to drop the temp down to 22deg for the last 18 orso hours.

As at Tues 6pm (approx 54 hour ferment...quick aye) drawn off a vial and popped in the hydrometer for a SG of around 1.010. OG was 1.030.

What are my options considering the SG has dropped to perhaps near FG? Should i continue to chill the vessle and hope for further fermentation at the lower temp or will i ust bottle up once the SG stabilises? It tastes OK...the standard fruity notes of CPA and a slight bitterness that is not unpleasant?

Appreciate any input from the lads

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

I have just been able to chill off a few bottles of the modified CPA recipe discussed above. What can i say...i am impressed with the reduced "fruit" and slightly more 'beery' flavour than the standard CPA+BE2 recipe. Will be returning to this one thats for sure and would recommend this one to tasters as an all rounder worthy of slinging to the lads when they pop over. Reviews from some such thus far have been positive,

Paul...any more variations on the theme that you would recommend to the L platers amongst us? I would say at this stage that the modified recipe ranks over the BE2 recipe at this stage but would appreciate any other suggestions you or the chaps may have

TD

• 1 year later...

Made this.

CAN PALE ALE

BE2

100DEX

US-O5 YEAST 23L

tasted at one month, quite nice, a little on the sweet side, but i am not a fan of Coopers Pale Ale but this had enough difference to please me. Maybe it was the US-05 Yeast that made the difference. Will let youall know at 2 months.

Weggl

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Try these two mixed to 23 litres:

I just signed up to say thanks for these recipes. CPA is probably my favorite retail beer (they have stopped selling it at the local supermarket though [annoyed] and I wanted to try replicate it in my next batch. cheers!

Archived