Coopers Community

Ipswich Show....

ExpatSthAussie

Just wondering if anyone is entering beers in the homebrew section at the Ipswich Show..? I'm thinking of entering some beers but not 100% sure what category they fall under within BJCP guidelines. Fruit Salad Ale, Authentic IPA & my Fat Yak Clone using TC IPA as a base... Will probably get laughed [lol] but I guess it won't hurt to have a go..!

You have probably already checked this out but here is a link to the style guidelines.

BJCP Style Guidelines

The Authentic IPA will be an English IPA.

Your Fat Yak clone is probably at the top end of American Ale Ale or bottom end of American IPA. Calculate the bitterness of your recipe and place it in the most appropriate category.

Not sure where the Fruit Salad Ale will fit. It isn't bitter enough to be an APA.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you go if you enter.

Hairy, Thanks for the link, have read it ages ago[wink] & the advice on calculating the bitterness. I might talk to the guys at BC as there is no class listed for IPA at all

PA Classes -

Cream Ale

Blonde Ale

Kolsch

Belgian PA

APA

EPA

American PA

..might even shoot an email to QAAWBG ( Queensland Association of Amatuer Wine and Beer Makers Guild ) I see that Coopers Brewery Ltd is also listed as a donor. ( Sponsor I suppose )

Not sure where the Fruit Salad Ale will fit. It isn't bitter enough to be an APA.

Just reviewed the FSA recipe it states BJCP Style 10.A. - American Pale Ale. ( Makes sense! )

I'm waiting for the guys from BC to get back to me on the others..

Hope this helps.

Cheers, AdamN.

Just reviewed the FSA recipe it states BJCP Style 10.A. - American Pale Ale. ( Makes sense! )

I'm waiting for the guys from BC to get back to me on the others..

Hope this helps.

Cheers, AdamN.

It may just sneak in. If you think about your ex-wife or mother in law whilst you drink it then you may just make it bitter enough.

Beers are entered...in the correct categories. Apparently even if they are not in the style of the nominated class, the judges re classify them. Thanks to the staff at Wacol BC for helping me out and covering the entry fee. Quite proud of my ales so I thought I'd put em out there for critique.[biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...
Well' date=' I'll be buggered..2nd & 3rd in the Australian / Old dark Ale Class. [biggrin']

Thanks everyone for your help.

AdamN [joyful]

Congratulations Adam! [cool]

I've never thought of entering anything of mine as I'm always so critical of how they turn out that I'm planning an improved recipe by the time I'm half way through my first glass.

Must feel awesome to have confirmation that you're onto a good thing! [cool] [cool] [cool]

Nice work Adam!

Do you get any prizes for placings? A ribbon at least?

Your brewing will improve over the next 12 months so next year we will accept nothing less than first place [biggrin]

Archived