Coopers Community

Wally!!!!toowoomba do

IzacF

Hey Wal just thought id let you know theres a gathering of Toowoomba homebrewers being organised in AHB. You more likely know but thought id let ya know...sounds like it could be a good day for ya Muppet[biggrin]

Yeah' date=' thanks for that. I just become aware of this yesterday when I was in the store buying some hops. Maybe I will meet some other muppets there as well!!!! [biggrin'] [cool]

kool. It just wouldnt be a true turnout without ya Wal [biggrin]

Yeah' date=' thanks for that. I just become aware of this yesterday when I was in the store buying some hops. Maybe I will meet some other muppets there as well!!!! [biggrin'] [cool]

and we still need a Gonzo on a motorbike

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the motorbike' date=' just not sure that my nose is quite big enough for the job...!!![/quote']

One of the Toowoomba guys gave me his number for you Wal 0437466344 his name is Ben. Says he hasnt met you before but he also says theres a few new guys turning up to the do...sounds like a load of fun for you Wal.

One of the Toowoomba guys gave me his number for you Wal 0437466344 his name is Ben. Says he hasnt met you before but he also says theres a few new guys turning up to the do...sounds like a load of fun for you Wal.

G'day mate,

I haven't called Ben as yet but I have arranged with Pete at the store to come along to the meeting, so no doubt I will meet Ben there on Friday night. Apparently most of the blokes attending are AG brewers so hopefully I can fly the flag for us mere mortal kit brewers.....maybe teach them other blokes how to use a can opener...!!!![biggrin]

Thanks for your help and info. I will let you know how it all goes.

Hey Wal,

I hope you make it to this meeting. Whether it be kit, extract, PM, or AG. We are all homebrewers. I'm sure they will treat you like a brother. [wink] I wish that there was a meeting such as yours around here, especially when I was newer to home brewing. I think that having a few AG brewers around to talk to will only fast track you to being a more confident and all round brewer.

Oh, don't worry them other blokes already know how to use a can opener since they were probably doing kit brews 6months ago. If they are anything like me they are still brewing kits because they make great beer!

I haven't brewed a kit since I went to extract and then AG brewing. But I like the more hands on approach to AG brewing and the absolute control over the recipe that you just don't get with throwing a can of goo and a bag of powder into an FV with some water. But I will say that the kits I did brew were quite nice beers. I especially enjoy the toucan stout. [biggrin]

While the whole AG thing appeals to me it is really a matter of time available for me.

I find I can steep some grains, do a hop boil or steep, add a can of goop and some powder, repeat previous steps, do the clean up and have 2 FVs pitched and ready to go in a couple of hours (this includes having a few beers and watching a bit of footy as well). Maybe a dry hop in a few days time and it's all over. This makes for a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon for me.

Out of curiosity, how long do you blokes reckon it takes to do an AG brew? I'm not trying to start a pissing competition as I understand the argument for AG producing better beers, just always looking for ways to improve things while working within the constraints of the real world (i.e. wife and 4 kids...).

Mine's usually about 6 or 7 hours. A lot of it is just time spent waiting for things to happen. Waiting for the mash water (though I mill while it's heating), waiting for the mash, waiting for the water to heat up/mashout, waiting for it to reach the boil, adding hops and waiting until the boil is done, you get the idea. [lol]

Thanks Phil. Actually 5 hours isn't too bad.

You are doing that thing though....."let's make Wal think that it's only a few more hours, we'll have him doing AG in no time..!!!"[devil] [cool]

Next thing, I'll be explaining to the missus why I need to extend the shed to fit my new brew rig!!!

Mine's usually about 6 or 7 hours. A lot of it is just time spent waiting for things to happen. Waiting for the mash water (though I mill while it's heating)' date=' waiting for the mash, waiting for the water to heat up/mashout, waiting for it to reach the boil, adding hops and waiting until the boil is done, you get the idea. [lol']

MMMmmmm...waiting....one of my favourite things to do. Imagine how many beers I could have then...!!![biggrin]

Yeah there are plenty of opportunities to have a beer. I normally clean my milling equipment during the mash then have a beer, by that time the mash is nearly done, so I go and rig up my pulley system for mashout and wait around for 20-25 mins for the wort to heat up + 10 min mashout. There's another beer. Then I remove the grain bag and crank the urn to get it boiling so that's another 30-35 min wait for it to reach boiling point + 75 minute boil so that's another 2 beers. This gives me a few extra empties at faster than my usual rate of one a day, and I don't get to the point of being half tanked and dropping boiling wort on myself.[lol]

6 hours... These days I am doing full wort 60 min boils with my extract and K&Bs brews now that I have the set up to do so but more for the fun of it than anything else. An all grain brew does not take a lot longer in a day.

BTW, I have three boys under the age of 5 and usually work 50 hours a week. There's always time to fit a brew day in. Whether it takes 6 hours or 20 minuntes its all great fun and mostly[pinched] great beer!

BTW' date=' I have three boys under the age of 5 and usually work 50 hours a week. There's always time to fit a brew day in. Whether it takes 6 hours or 20 minuntes its all great fun and mostly[pinched'] great beer!

3 boys under 5....Wow, you do have your hands full. I bet you have heaps of fun though.

When ever I am out in the shed (which is where I make my beer) I always have the kids following me about, they love being outside. I just don't like the idea of burners and boiling liquids around the little 'uns.

Maybe in a year or two when they are a bit bigger, I do like the idea of AG and making beer from scratch. 6 hours of brewing though -- I'd have to make a double batch to make up for what I drink during the brewing session..[biggrin]

BTW' date=' I have three boys under the age of 5 and usually work 50 hours a week. There's always time to fit a brew day in. Whether it takes 6 hours or 20 minuntes its all great fun and mostly[pinched'] great beer!

3 boys under 5....Wow, you do have your hands full. I bet you have heaps of fun though.

When ever I am out in the shed (which is where I make my beer) I always have the kids following me about, they love being outside. I just don't like the idea of burners and boiling liquids around the little 'uns.

Maybe in a year or two when they are a bit bigger, I do like the idea of AG and making beer from scratch. 6 hours of brewing though -- I'd have to make a double batch to make up for what I drink during the brewing session..[biggrin]

Cherish the days you spend with them lads, because in the blink of an eye they are grown up and gone[sad]

My kids love helping (and hindering [devil] ) with the brewing.

And I knew I had an influence on them when we went into Woolworths and my 5 year old son saw the stack of eskies and said "look Dad, mash tuns".

I have never been prouder [cool]

While the whole AG thing appeals to me it is really a matter of time available for me.

I find I can steep some grains, do a hop boil or steep, add a can of goop and some powder, repeat previous steps, do the clean up and have 2 FVs pitched and ready to go in a couple of hours (this includes having a few beers and watching a bit of footy as well). Maybe a dry hop in a few days time and it's all over. This makes for a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon for me.

Out of curiosity, how long do you blokes reckon it takes to do an AG brew? I'm not trying to start a pissing competition as I understand the argument for AG producing better beers, just always looking for ways to improve things while working within the constraints of the real world (i.e. wife and 4 kids...).

i hear ya loud and clear Wal...i wish i had AG brewers round here so i could go and learn. ive been offerd by a couple brewers up at wollongong to go watch and learn but ill wait to see what the docs got to say in a few weeks

Cherish the days you spend with them lads' date=' because in the blink of an eye they are grown up and gone[sad']

I'm smelling what your stepping in...!!! I love the idea of poking around the yard and the shed on the weekends with them.

My kids love helping (and hindering [devil] ) with the brewing.

My kids particularly like to 'participate' in bottling.

And I knew I had an influence on them when we went into Woolworths and my 5 year old son saw the stack of eskies and said "look Dad, mash tuns".

I have never been prouder [cool]

Nice one.[biggrin] A future brewer for sure.

Heres to homebrewing Dads![cool]

If we can still pull off a good batch of brew with all this 'help' I think we might be able to do anything![joyful]

I couldn't agree more..!!![cool]

I'll drink to that [w00t]

Archived