Coopers Community

1st Belgian - WHOA!

PhilboBaggins

After getting bored with my APA/AIPA rampage, I have started brewing a greater variety of stuff. On Sunday I pitched a healthy looking starter of Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity into my new Belgian Blond ale. Monday I woke up to a lovely dense creamy Krausen on top that looked like milkshakes. [happy]

Got up this morning to this:

krausen1.jpg

I thought, WHOA! Haven't seen anything like that since brewing stout at 30C back in the day! [devil]

I came home expecting to have the krausen collapsing with the intention of doing a nice clean cling wrap transplant operation and found this:

krausen2.jpg

Maybe next time I brew with this yeast I might bring the FV lid out of retirement and sort out a blow off tube.

I must say that she smells AMAZEBALLS! [love] [love] [love]

Ha Ha![cool] I've got the very same thing going on with my latest brew. It's a Pale Ale using US-05. I pitched this one on a yeast cake and it's blow out the top![w00t] It's been doing this for at least 12 hours now.[pinched]

The last time this happened to one of my brews the final result was one of my best of late.

That is off the charts! A quick Google image search came up with many other volcanic fermentations.

What temperature is this one hooning along at, and how strong do you expect this one to come out?

Hiya Reuben. It's a 1.062 all-grain recipe for a Belgian Blond. Mashed at 66C with 5% cane sugar, it's probably going to come down quite low and be over 6% after bottle priming.

The temp is around 21C, which is what I keep all of my ales at nowadays. [bandit]

[lol] you guys...

Well, day four and overnight she went mental again. I'm on the third change of cling wrap (sorry John [pinched]) and it looks like today is going to be as bad as all the rest.

I might have to look into this fermcap stuff John. Can't find it on BB website, is there anywhere local you go for it mate?

I plan on harvesting the yeast from this one and using regularly, so I'm not happy to put up with this every time. [annoyed]

I think it is 30 litres with the collar.

Perhaps you should look at a bigger FV for those beers. See if you can find a 40 litre one somewhere. Once the krausen drops you can rack to an FV with less headspace.

I've heard the US-05 can be like this - and I was going to recycle the yeast cake from my next brew, which will US-05

Are you guys telling me that I shouldn't leave my FV where it is now? It's on my desk, right next to my computer and printer?[unsure]

'The Chad' posted some photos of his 2nd gen US-05 brew going nuts but that was in a carboy with less headspace.

I don't know if it would climb out of a large FV, especially the DIY FV with the collar and clips. You never know though [devil]

I don't think I have ever had a 1st gen batch of US-05 give me more than an inch of krausen. They have always been small but persistent.

Are you panning on dumping the wort on the whole yeast cake?

Archived