Coopers Community

Could it really be this easy?

Sticky Wicket

Well, it has been a pretty quick transition from K&K to K&B and now to my first AG BIAB.

Brewed on Saturday and pitched on Sunday, and it was surprisingly easy. I did keep the recipe simple brewing a basic Aussie Pale Ale with only two hop additions.

I expected to have trouble hitting temperature, gravity and volume marks, however not the case. I wanted a final volume of 22l and got 22.5l, I wanted a Specific Gravity post boil of 1053 and got 1052.

The only thing I wasn't sure on was the mash out, mashed in with strike water at 69c and got the 66c I was looking for, and was able to hold that temp with a blanket and dooner for 80 minutes. I then raised the bag from the keggle and and heated the wort to 78c and put the bag back in for 10 minutes.

Question, was my mash out correct, what could I have done better, do I really need to mash out?

The wort tastes heavenly, I suppose the proof will be in the pud in two weeks time and again in a month after bottling. As I said could it really be this easy, and so much fun, rond two on Saturday.

Yep it is that easy Sticky Wicket.

Next time if you are going to do a mash out then raise the bag off the bottom, or put something on the bottom to stop the bag resting there, keeping it in the wort and as the temperature is rising to mash out temp you should be stirring. When you hit mash out then let it rest at that for how long your mash out time is.

Cheers Phil,

All done to the sounds of Husker Du, GBH, and the Psychotic Turnbuckles.

Inspiring stuff!

Bob Mould's new album isn't too bad. I may have to whip that out for my next brew day [cool]

Cheers Kelsey,

Looking forward to tasting it, going to do exactly the same brew this weekend and see if I get consistency, will be stocked if I do.

Good old Bob hey Hairy, don't listen to much new stuff, I think I am caught in a time warp! Looks like I need to broaden my ears horizons as I have done my brewing!

Looking forward to reporting results on ears and brew. [devil]

Archived